frequent: blackscreen freeze 5 seconds, and crashes with sound glitch

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by octogen, Feb 22, 2016.

1. octogen

Helllo!
    so I have blackscreen freezes (I get control back after ~5 seconds) and
    crashes - with sound glitching (have to reboot computer)
    Frequency: worst case: every 10 minutes, best case: once in 3 hours
    Usually it happens in big fights. Blackscreen freezes happen more than the complete crashes.

FRESH INSTALL of planetside2 (+validate), win7 premium 64bit, gtx980, 8GB ram, i5-2500k. (1080p display)
    Drivers up-to date.
    CPU and GPU temperatures: normal. FPS in game: anywhere between 40-120 (depends on settings of course)
    I played around with graph settings, Vsync, lower graphics etc. Sometimes it seems to be better, seemingly less crashes, but the problem persists.
    I play other games 30+ hours a week sometimes, and I have no problems whatsoever, just with planetside2.
    As far as I know its not just me having this issue, but I couldnt find any solutions yet. Any ideas about this?
  2. octogen

Hi everyone, I think I found a solution, after trying a lot of different things.
    My solutuion: reducing GPU core clock and graphics card memory clock with MSI afterburner
    (free software)
    note: I have an EVGA GTX980 Superclocked version, and I reduce both memory and core clock by 100 MHz, when Im playing.
    Sometimes I forget to do it, then I get freezes and crashes again, but wth this method NO freezes.