Free shotgun for everyone?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Cromell, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Cromell

The new player loadouts and class quiz are pretty cool. New players get a few hundred worth of certs in suit and ability slots. And apparently free semi-auto shotgun (low capacity/low spread one).

I am very impressed, this probably will make the game more accessible and varied for new players, as they will be given at least some choice from the very beginning.

Two free (3 if you count the starter pack from reflinks) weapons should also prevent them from feeling defenseless with their default guns (this is something like a newbie syndrome, no matter how good starting guns will be, they will complain about them being bad - I have witnessed the same in other games, too...)

Overall: great job, hope it comes live this week!

PS. On a side note, really, MAX loadouts are weird. The 2nd one says "anti-air" but doesn't have a burster equipped, and for some reason comes with kinetic armor (which fits a lot more with "anti-ground" loadout, not flak armor. I know players will be able to switch that with literally four clicks, but still - would be nice if that got fixed.
  2. Meccar

Yeah, it's kinda galling how well off new accounts are going to be. Unless current characters get some sort of amazing bonus I think once this patch hits I'm just gonna delete my current char and re-roll a new one. My test char (NC Engie) started off with the Razor (I can only assume a TR one would've started with the AMC), plus the aforementioned 750 CERT SHOTGUN, which puts him pretty much on par with my current character (which took about 85 hours to get to where he is now).
  3. Runegrace

Not to disparage, but it should take way less than 85 hours to work up a thousand certs.

Glad that newer players will be able to just jump into the fight a bit easier, though.
    • Up x 1
  4. NoctD

How do you take the class quiz???
  5. AdmiralArcher

its automatic and on PTS
  6. NoctD

But I log in and I don't see a quiz?
  7. Kanil

They're giving away the best shotgun in the game for free?

Coooooool... (although I already have it on all but one of my characters.)
  8. Rogueghost

Needs to be a brand new character.
    • Up x 1
  9. WyrdHarper

Not true. It showed up for my existing TR character (first one I logged in).
    • Up x 1
  10. DeadliestMoon

The Jackhammer? What about the other factions?
  11. Wobberjockey

everyone will take the quiz. everyone will get something for it. no news on what happens if you already have your 'gift' unlocked
  12. WyrdHarper

Crossing my fingers that I'll be able to snag a Lynx out of this.

T5 AMC is a decent gun, but it's not very newbie-friendly (rewards skilled players a lot more--and most newbies are going to be fighting in close range, where the shotgun would be a better choice than the T5, plus a close-range carbine such as the Lynx requires fewer certs to be competitive than the T5).
    • Up x 1
  13. Meccar

Source? I'd be very grateful to SOE if that turns out to be true. A little annoyed that I bought a Shotgun before this, but still grateful.
  14. Cromell

Nope, the current selection on PTS are: mutilator (dunno which one), cycler trv, rhino, t5 amc and M77B. You can choose between them, so unless you've got them all, you won't be forced to take a double. And if you have them all, you're not a new player anymore. :D

You also receive 1 day 50% XP boost and Cells Camo. Pretty sweet.
    • Up x 1
  15. Hiding in VR

I think its actually part of the Tutorial, in that you are asked the questions when you warp out of the Tutorial zone but before you instant action. At that stage you still have the "Exit Tutorial" option on the screen.
  16. Wobberjockey

well i already had a character on the PTS, and i had to take the quiz.

i believe luke also said something to that effect on the 2/25 PTS patch notes.

EDIT: found it.
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/patch-notes-2-25.175049/#post-2526864

17. maxkeiser

My vanu main got a free shotgun (Thanatos), free purple camo and a 1 day XP boost. I thought that was pretty good really!