Frame Rate Smoothing

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by codeForge, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Octiceps

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but are Smoothing and MaxFPS mutually exclusive? I'm guessing turning one on disables the other and vice-versa. How does Smoothing function much differently than MaxFPS if I usually don't go much above 60 FPS anyway? Would turning Smoothing on make 20-30 FPS feel smoother and more conistent than having it off?
  2. noobindo

Not quite.
    Video card wiat for specific signal from monotor. And start render frame only after this. Signal comes every few milliseconds.
    Monitor finish drawing image, signal has come. But new frame not ready yet. GPU forced to wait for new signal even if everything ready for drawing. This is not the same as wait for monitor finish drawing.
  3. sicsoo

maximum fps= just a fps limiter
    smoothing = a fps limiter + optimization code

smoothing, if i take it right, is an "optimization" to the code that works really nice on some configurations, you need to test if it works ok with yours. maximum fps is just a limit you want to set (you can do externally with msi aferburner or other prog. so they added this option directly).
    of course you need to set maximum fps to a number ABOVE the one you set for smoothing, so they don't interfere.
  4. Maese

phenom2@3,2
    4gb ram
    560 ti

cpu limits my fps always, i have 10-60 fps depends on place and players

i have some stuttering, should i use SmoothingMinFramerate=20 ?

i mean if SmoothingMinFramerate its doing an optimization on low fps its not better to use SmoothingMinFramerate=1 ? or how it works? if i just see the stutter at ~20 or less fps should i use SmoothingMinFramerate=30?
  5. Maese

i forget to mention phenom2 x4
  6. Octiceps

Thanks for confirming that MaxFPS and SmoothingMaxFramerate are redundant if set to the same number.

I would love to hear from Ryan Elam or another dev if smoothing reduces input lag at low FPS ranges, for example 20-30 FPS, by employing some sort of frame queue manipulation. I'm sure after OMFG Patch 1 that my FPS in big battles will go up, but I would still love it if 30 FPS felt a lot more playable than it currently does. I will definitely try out the new smoothing option after this patch goes live.
  7. UnDeaD_CyBorG

I activated it.
    My frames are weirdly capped at ~90, but rise when I move faster.
    I honestly can't explain it, but I don't care much given the drastic increase in performance.
  8. Neurotoxin

I'll need to wait for a real fight to try this. I was averaging 150 FPS with nobody around, and I hope it'll hold above 60 in a real test.
  9. S7rudL

Are there any disadvantages or drawbacks (like Vsync delays) with smoothing on or does it only tell the game/processor to not work as hard as it only needs 58 fps max?

I play with Vsync off ingame and Nvidia for best response, I notice no major screen tearing.
    Nvidia inspector limit framerate 58fps
    MaximumFPS=58
    Smoothing=1
    SmoothingMaxFramerate=58
    SmoothingMinFramerate=20

With smoothing on the [CPU] bound goes away completely in 12-24 fights, I have not yet participated in a 48+ battles. i7 2600k
  10. Octiceps

No smoothing does not introduce input lag like V-sync does.

MaximumFPS and Nvidia Inspector FPS Limiter are redundant if Smoothing is turned on since it is already capping the frame rate.
    • Up x 1
  11. sicsoo

i've found out that if you want the exact number of fps limit, seems you need to set the smoothing "around" 1 or 2 fps above the limit you want, depending on the situation. at last for me.
    for example, i've seen the fps going 1 fps lower than the max, when being in zerg situation, but it remains at the exact limit when the situation is mostly calm (24+ or something).

another thing i've noticed using an amd 6870 is related to the FLIP QUEUE SIZE. depending on the number you set as limit it will be more accurate or not with flip queue set to 1, 2 or 3. for example with 2 i have less fluctuations around the limit, with 3 i have a bit more (tested with fraps fps counter).

maximum fps and other limiter, don't even need to be set with smoothing already going on, anyway if they are redundant or not i don't know, the fps limit will be same. so they become useless.
  12. Nibato

No, they don't deal with screen tearing in different ways. They are different things entirely. You can still get screen tearing at any frame rate, higher or lower then your refresh rate, if vsync isn't enabled.

Without vsync the video card pushes the frame out to the monitor as soon as possible, even in the middle of drawing said frame, instead of waiting for the vertical blank interrupt. Just capping your frame rate to your refresh rate won't solve screen tearing, as it won't be synchronized to the vertical blank.
  13. Codai

I shed a tear when I read this. I wonder if I'll get 60fps on the lowest settings with max shadows (and textures) in a fight? 60fps and smooth shadows is all I want T_T

Think I'll actually hop on the PTS thanks to this post, curiosity is giving me the shakes hahaha.
  14. Cromell

My observations on smoothing:

Works good until I get into a big fight. Framerate remains high in 2x48+ in Biolab, but is EXTREMELY jumpy. Without smoothing I had a better experience.

Also, normally I don't have to use VSync, but smoothing caused MASSIVE tearing for me - fixed with VSync.

Overall I get around 30% more framerate with the patch, so I'm really looking forward to it. My setup:
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3,8 Ghz (OC)
    8GB RAM
    ASUS GTX560 with OC @ GTX560Ti values
    Win7 64bit
  15. Ling

I just found this and I tried it tonight, so far it seems to be a big help, I was capped at 56 fps with the smoothing on even at 95hz refresh rate on my lcd and now it seems to run at 110-115 constant but that is with no one shooting at me. I will try to test it later today or tomorrow when I can find a fight and will do another post with the results of my frame rates and the drops. Hopefully they will stay where they are and if so this thread is one of the best that I have come across on the forums so far.

I7 3770K @ 4.8 Ghz (OC)
    12GB RAM
    EVGA TITAN
  16. 18YearsOldForever

English is poor

There are VSYNC ON lag in my environment
    I have chosen VSYNC OFF MaximumFPS = 60 much later

Liveserver
    MaximumFPS=60   62.4fps(Windows7)
    MaximumFPS=60   58.xfps(Windows8.1)

Testserver
    MaximumFPS=60   61.5fps(Windows7)
    MaximumFPS=60   57.5fps(Windows8.1)
    Change MaximunFPS=250
    Smoothing=1   60.5fps(Windows7)
    Smoothing=1   56.5fps(Windows8.1)

My monitor is 60Hz
    Tearing the
    MaximumFPS=60 low
    Smoothing=1 Middle
    Hitching is Maxmum=FPS250&Smoothing=0 ingameFPS70~350(80 particularly in the vicinity)

I would choose the MaxmumFPS = 60 in the future
  17. Anti-Skub

I am aware how it works. I was trying to keep the explanation simple.
  18. codeForge

Please keep in mind that "Smoothing" and "VSYNC" are NOT intended to increase frame rate! (though sometimes they do, for reasons that would take hours to explain heh).

With smoothing on, what we hope to do is improve your actual experience, not just see a really high number. Personally I find that I have a better experience with a smooth 60 than I do at a spikey 120.

Still, this is quite subjective and I could really use you guys' opinions on how it plays.
    • Up x 3
  19. Ash87

I'll try it again tonight then.
  20. Pitttypangg

Smoothing. is. AWESOME!!!
    Even at 29-36 FPS, smoothing drastically improved gameplay "feel" for me.
    rig atm: intel G860 / nvidia 8600GT(512MB RAM)
    Thanks a lot CodeForge and Team!
    • Up x 1