FPS on Gameplay Performance

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Crackulous, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Crackulous

Does it matter to you? My computer specs are mid tier I guess, since I can at least run this game. I can only get a decent frame rate on the lowest settings though, any higher and I can't play. I chuckle at how beautiful the game is, yet I can only catch a glimpse of the true graphics on YouTube.

Totally jealous of those of you with buffed gaming rigs. Just curious, does higher FPS contribute to better performance in game? I haven't had the luxury to experience this. Disregarding sudden game crashes though, since I just find that sometimes, when I fly, my client acts up for a couple of seconds, sending me plummeting down into the ground.

Also, on an additional note. I belong to Briggs, but now relocated to North America to attend a higher education institution, would this cause noticeable lag on my opponent's screens due to higher ping? As far as I can tell, it's been the same for me.
  2. Pie Chasm

Yes, you will now have a substantial advantage against your opponents.

Since it's clientside hit detection your opponents will have more exposure against you.

It is also true that FPS is a huge component in performance.
  3. Crackulous

Doesn't that also mean information on their position is relayed to me at a slower rate as well? This would balance it out, would it not?
  4. Pie Chasm

Their movements will be, but the game extrapolates for what it doesn't have, so that for your personal hit detection vs. the opponent it won't matter much.

As a word of warning, you might get accused of hacking a lot, because you will definitely appear to "warp" around as their clients will update more frequently (assuming they have low latency) and your vector will be used in a rudimentary fashion to display your movements (it already is, but since you won't have many it will appear erratic to the enemy).
  5. Crackulous

I haven't been accused of hacking yet, haha. If you're right though, I could be receiving those tells soon. Thanks for the info.
  6. Tommyp2006

Higher FPS helps more in shooters than most people realize, or are willing to admit. It allows you to be much more precise, and your movements will be much smoother. That's why these optimization improvements are so important, not just so people can run the game at higher graphical settings.
  7. Duvenel

I cannot agree with this statement anymore than I already do. Back when I actually played PS2, I would play on my laptop. Which would run from somewhere from 20-30ish FPS if I was lucky and 0-10 if not. And I'd be ok, I'd get some kills have some fun for a few hours.

Then my brother who also used to play brought his gaming rig round and had like 60+ FPS in most situations and it made the world of difference. I was on killing streaks, I could dodge things because I had more than 2 frames to realise what was coming at me. It was magical. If I even manage to get 30 constant FPS on my laptop, I'm sure I'd play again. Till then I'll be lurking the forums.
  8. Caserion

Performance is linked to good FPS for 2 reasons, reduced lag means you have more time to react and with more FPS aiming is much more smoother and controllable.

45 FPS is pretty much my minimum, but i like 60 + the most. Below that, i just get worse and worse. I hate talking about K/D, but 30 and 45 FPS is a difference of a K/D of 1 and 6.
  9. Alanim

not 100% sure if PS2 has the issue but in most FPS games your frames per second directly translate into how fast your guns can fire and how fast you can move on foot/in tank, anything that requires a key press to move forward.
  10. P4NJ

Been playing under 25 in most battles since launch and to be honest, skill and situational awarenes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> frames per second.
  11. SquattingPig

It makes a huge difference. Best example is BF4 beta. Before the 2nd patch fixed performance, I had low KPM and got trashed constantly, and after the patch my overall KPM doubled and on some weapons it was triple.