FPS drop after GU4

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Matcap86, Mar 13, 2013.

1. TomaHawk

GTX TITAN + 64 GB RAM
    10/15 FPS

LAOLOLERLDLLoLoLOoooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllll!!! hahahaAHAHHA

Sorry, that's not funny.

YES IT IS HAAHA HAHHAAHHAAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok Im done.
    • Up x 5
  2. Galantis

I'm in warp gate looking out not doing anything getting 53 fps looking in one direction, alt to get pointer out and notice that just moving my pointer around it drops to 22fps.... seriously really, start laughing how stupid this is!
  3. Kastrenzo

You know that the Titan isn't really that good of a card.

The 680 and 690 are statistically superior in almost every category, it's p.funny since they charge like $500 more for it and it's little better
    • Up x 1
  4. Rekoro

Many ppl claim that its the users hardware that makes the game run bad. U dont need to talk about graphiccards because they are not the ones that slow you down, you could play this game with an older card on low settings if this was the mainproblem.

The main problem is the CPU and the poor engine. i ve an i5 750 @3.4ghz and while playing ps2 it bottlenecks me to under 20fps. now when i look at my tools this is where it gets funny, because ps2 uses 40-50 % of available resources from my cpu. and those 50% are only spikes. somehow this tells me that the engine is as bad as it could be and changes will not happen any time soon. if ever
  5. TomaHawk

Well, I've been in all double XP weekends so far and this last one was so bad I left and didn't come back. I didn't care about the flood of XP when I was doing well, the game just wasn't fun because everything was lagging. Getting in and out of vehicles, repairing, opening the consoles, etc. The XP became irrelevant because PS2 this past weekend plain sucked.

So the update did something, because that's the first that's happened to me. That, or loads more people were taxing the servers than previous XP weekends, not sure. But it's hilarious to me the many hours spent futzing around with .ini files on high end systems and still people are bewildered as to why their fps sucks.

The guy with the $1200 *single* GPU (now $1k?), the $1000 CPU, and 64 GB of RAM is just the icing. I just hope he's using it for more than PS2, and I will feel a lot better. :) And yes, I am a jealous jerk, ok? lol, but holy **** what a way to burn through cash.
    • Up x 1
  6. Delain81

So for me the today's patch did a lot. I wasn't really expecting it to be honest, but after it i have 100 fps at warpgate and in the biggest biolab fight i could catch i had around 30-40, same at tech plant. That's even more than i had before GU4. So for me it worked wonders. Thx to SoE and i hope the optimization doesn't stop here and i really really hope all you guys out there with problems still, will get the same, or even better results with comin' patches. :/
    • Up x 1
  7. MittRackRObama

Not too low for your eyes when not in a life or death situation ;)

We can see up to 120 FPS but typically this happens only while falling from an airplane without a parachute. Yes, life or death situations. Which brings some credence to the old adage "It felt like time slowed down..." actually, time really did slow down as far as your brain is concerned, because you took in a whopping 96 more frames per second than you typically do.

Unless you are skydiving while playing PS2, the difference between 30FPS smooth and stable and 60fps is going to be small and barely noticeable.

Lot's of people think they can tell the difference, what they are truly seeing is latency between their GPU and CPU or some other in-game problem stuttering the frames on their screen.

So 30FPS SMOOTH not stuttery or dipping to 23 and back up to 50 just smooth, is enough for anyone who hasn't been shot in the chest with a .50 CAL or is falling to their death.

Alternatively, take and injection of Epinephrine which mimics adrenaline, and BAM now you can game at a high FPS and take in every single one ;)
    • Up x 1
  8. MittRackRObama

No they have adequate CPUs for consumer purchase that should be able to max out most new games around the price point of $200-$350.

The issue lies in Planetside 2. DX9 is a ***** and a half to try to talk to and tell you're using multiple processors and threads.

If I'm not mistaken a new set of values has to be added for EACH PROCESSOR MODEL to utilize every thread and core. That's a lot of friggin processors. Start with Ivy Bridge, then go AM3+, then go Sandy bridge etc. down the line. That should probably be in their road map.
  9. Papio

New patch seemed to fix stuff on the ground, then I did a fly over "enemy platoons" CPU popped up and my FPS dropped to 5-10 from 50-60.

So I checked my CPU usage and it was sitting around 50% utilized.
  10. Sinoby

Let's not sidetrack this thread into a debate either 30fps is enough for FPS gaming (it is not).
    The key is - if FPS jumps from 120 to 30 - it is noticeble, and it does hirt gameplay expirience and performance. For me it is better with this last patch, but in some cases FPS is still very unstable, it keeps jumping up and down from 50-60 to 30 and back up to 50 (e.g. when approaching a "hot" biolab in a lib/esf).
  11. Rak

Today's patch helped for the most part, but flying over large battles still causes me to dip down from my usual 80FPS to a very stuttery up and down framerate ranging from 10 to 80.
  12. philux

After today's patch the game runs super-smooth (>80fps on Ultra) when flying, even near the Crown, but the framerate slowly drops as time progresses, i.e., it gets unplayable (drops to 20fps) after 60mins. When I re-login everything is fine again.
  13. Stadulator

Are you using two HDDs? i.e. booting from one drive then running game from another?
  14. Chipskream

Aw man I hope the server restart will bring the fix to fps drops. Since its still 2h, Ill go and do something useful for a change.
  15. Garathil

Slight increase of FPS after the hotfix, but still experiencing some poor rendering of far away rocks/cliffs which stand out as simple black spots that do not load until you get closer. Anyone else having similar issues?
  16. AstroCat

After the last patch I'm a little better but I'm still getting sub 60fps CPU limited when before GU4 I was always GPU and right around 60fps. 2600k@4.2GHz with a GTX Titan.

So, it's a little better but definitely not back pre GU4, something is causing me to CPU limit at around 30-40fps just less often. So the 20-30fps is still there it's just not as frequent. Seems like some more bugs to fix.
  17. Zazen

Just to add my results to the random sampling of players:

Since the hotfix today I'm running a lot smoother without the dramatic fps drops I'd had previously, even in large fights with many vehicles. I played for 3 hours solid without restarting PS and never experienced any stuttering like some reported.

I'm running an i7 920 w/ 6 gig ram & 660ti Nvidia vid card on Win7 64bit.
  18. NotTheMomma

Played for a couple of hours straight this evening. FPS in general was much better, although with vehicles around there was stuttering and some pretty wild FPS dips (50 to briefly in the 20's, back up to 50). Most annoyingly, my health kit heals kept reverting for a while, although engi repairs seemed to be "sticking" and my health kits did eventually get back to working.

There's a post in the announcements that there's going to be a rolling zone restart to tweak performance for the various servers: US East will be at 3am.
  19. XRIST0

Game is back to normal , smooth as for me .. i dont get get random fps drops for no reason

Definatly fixed it on my end

Thankyou soe =)
  20. daddy86

LOL, patch didnt do crap

the only reason you are noticing a difference is because we got half the people then we had during the weekend thats why!