Forcing 64bit. Is it OK?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chewy102, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Chewy102

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/237752/how_to_force_x64_client_to_run_now_that_its/

I have not done this and this is the only time I have read about forcing PS2 to run in 64bit. So I am asking if this is legit or not. This sounds like it can work but it also sounds like something that is a bit of a no no and could lead to a ban.

Anyway I could get some feedback on doing this? If it works or just if it is allowed to start with. Both times the 64bit client came out it was removed long before I had a chance to do anything with it. 64bit got removed before hardly anyone could get to use it and see just how the game runs. How are we suppose to know what a problem is if we can't see if there's a problem to begin with?

So I ask.

Is forcing the game to run in 64bit something that is OK to do? Or is it something that is not OK to do?
  2. Planetdoge

Hm... interesting. I'd like to know as well. I have a 64 bit system. Last time they put in the 64 bit client, my game automatically launched the 64 bit version. This time around, it still launches the 32 bit client.
  3. Chewy102

64bit was disabled around 5ish hours ago.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/..._about_disabling_x64_until_crashes_are_fixed/

I happen to be able to be home early today and still missed the 64bit by 1-2 hours. SOE just hasn't give the player base time to use the 64bit client to see what happens. For all I know the crashes could be user errors. I say make 64bit an option and let it run for at least a few days to get some real data on how it runs.

PTS doesn't have the playerbase for a real stress test. SOE is the same in office. Let it go to live for those that want it and give it time. Maybe it'll fail, maybe it will be one of the best things to happen to the game. We and SOE will never know till the masses get the time needed to use and abuse it.
    • Up x 1
  4. eldarfalcongravtank

thanks for sharing. but i wont test this until official response by SoE. even better would be a simple x86/x64 switch in the launchpad
    • Up x 1
  5. Spiritualised

It pisses me off that mods are quick to delete posts but anything like the question posted here they run for the hills and dont reply
    • Up x 2
  6. Chewy102

Forum control and dev/official feedback are nowhere near the same thing. Mods just have the power to clear out the forums and really have no say in what happens in game or much of anything outside of the forums. Unless a mod is a dev, but I don't think any of the devs have the time to do both jobs.

I just want some kind of feedback on this. Nothing on reddit so far and nothing here as of yet. Wanting the 64bit client to be ready is good and all but the devs need to know what it will do before they can know what might be wrong and how to fix it. The dev team is to small for stress tests and the PTS isn't close to it either. Something like the 64but NEEDS to be on live servers if the devs want to see how the game handles with the stress of live servers.

Hell, if it is really just as simple of renaming an .exe to run either 32bit or 64bit. Why the hell is that not a an option? Just a check box saying to force run what version you want. All of us have the files there ready to use, the launcher just ignores them. Those that can't run the 64bit the game automatically sends SOE the data they need and all the player has to do is run the 32 bit version and get back to normal.

I see no better way to get data on something than to put it to work. Indev tests, PTS, or what else SOE uses for these things will never be as good as just tossing it at the wall and seeing what sticks. Live server data is the best place to get what you need, might as well use it. It isn't like PS2 is out of Beta anyway. MMOs never leave Beta.
  7. Spiritualised

I think you've got me wrong here and maybe I worded it inappropriately. I want the 64 bit client, I had no problems with it whatsoever first time around. I didnt get a chance to even use it this time. Apparently its been disabled again. What i was trying to say and I apologise for phrasing it badly is, everytime a question like this is asked there is rarely a response. We are always left playing a guessing game. Dev, mod, it matters not to me, so long as we get some kind of official word on the matter. As Elderfalcongravtank said he wont test it until theres been an official response. This was a thread with a specific question and the only people replying are members of the community because yet again we are all a little bit in the dark about it right now
  8. Chewy102

Fair enough. I tend to get wordy or have a need to correct people when Im in a fact finding spree anyway. So you can say we are both to blame.

I also want the 64bit client. Never even had the chance to use it at all either time it came out. So it could be **** for me as far as I know. But I do know my rig is 64bit and I beefed the hell out of it when I built it a few years ago with as much as I could afford at the time within reason. This thing was my first real gaming PC and I built the bastard from the ground up just to say I did so. 16GB RAM, i5-2500K CPU, XFX Double D Radeon 6870 GPU, PSU, mobo (can't recall the name but an ASUS micro), and what else is needed to build a PC out of nothing. I want to push this **** to its limit and see what I can do with it. A 64bit client will help with that. If I wanted I could OC the hell out of this thing and it wouldn't give a damn. But no reason to do so as of yet.

At least let us have one day with the 64bit client. One day, the game has seen worse ****-ups over it's life if it fails.
    • Up x 1
  9. ViXeN

Wait, 64-bit was disabled??? Why?? And is it coming back? :mad:
  10. Chewy102

Yup, around 8-9ish hours ago. It was live for maybe 12 hours at the most. Don't know if it made it past 1pm est.

The reason was because there are more crashes that "might" be from having many players in the area. As the PTS and indev tests don't have player numbers anywhere close to live. These crashes went unknown.

No clue when it will return. The .exe is in everyone's launcher right now, but the launcher ignores it and uses the 32bit .exe. Renaming the files while the launcher is running (to keep it from fixing the rename) should run the game in the 64bit version if the reddit post is right.
  11. Wecomeinpeace

Because the game still constantly crashed for many people. And since options are evil they just rerolled the client to 32bit.

For the same reason i don't see why this would be a problem, i mean you don't get any advantage over 32bit users by this and it should be optional to begin with. But don't take my word for it.

Edit: Atleast for me the crashes didn't have anything to do with the number of players in one area though; First crash happened after i was in a 48+vs.48+ battle for over 10 minutes, then i went to a less crowded area on purpose and still kept crashing.
  12. ViXeN

Well, I remember someone telling me before that 32-bit applications can only use like 2gb of ram so if that is correct, I think that could be an issue. I haven't been on PS2 yet today so I don't know.
  13. Spiritualised

No worries mate :) .

The 64 bit client 1st time around worked flawlessly for me, it was a pleasure to use. Everything felt just that bit more fluid. I had no problems with it whatsoever. I see youve got plenty of memory in your machine so the 64 bit client will love that . Im currently running an I5 3570k oc to 4300, 8 gigs ram ( another 8 wouldnt go amiss) and an r9 290 . It eats this game for breakfast and screams for more . Ive only recently upgraded my GPU from a 6970 and it was great with that card I wont even log in to the game until we get the 64bit client back. I stopped playing when they pulled it last time because I was so dissapointed. I had been looking forward to today only to have my bonfire pissed on . Oh well lets hope they dont keep us waiting too long
  14. Phyr

Game still locks up and crashes at 3.5gb of RAM, so it's basically pointless to force it.
  15. Spiritualised

this seems to be the official stance on the matter. Personally i think modifing anything should be done with much caution. We all know sonys take on modifying

16. Phyr

All you need to do is rename the files. I don't know if SOE disabled anything else when they turned it off, but there's no reason to force 64bit right now.
  17. Spiritualised

Isnt renaming equivelant to...modifying. Ive got no intention of forcing 64 bit Ill wait until its re enabled.

When i said this seems to be the official stance I was talking about Radarx's post see below
  18. Phyr

It's less modification then you can already do with the useroptions.ini file.
  19. Spiritualised

nearly every modification you can do in the useroptions ini can be done in game. Can you rename game files from within game
  20. Phyr

"nearly" ;)