For how long is discontinued further development of PS2?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by vipjerry, Sep 17, 2013.

1. vipjerry

Is there any eta on new content or did SOE gave up on this game?
    As far as i know, devs are working on some game optimizations no one cares about (it sounds more like another devs vacation on the way). Even if this optimizations make game run faster i don't see how few frames can radically help population issue and empty continents... Any words from devs? I cant find anything about this. Also its kinda false advertisement if you have this http://www.planetside2.com/roadmap
  2. Pudgeinabowl

The roadmap has been meaningless since it first came out.
    • Up x 5
  3. MasonSTL

People really do need to do research.
    You must not know much because poor optimization has been the main concern for a long time

Try looking at the top of the forums... it's seriously the first thread listed in Gameplay Discussion. Here I'll take 2 seconds to find it for you.

Better frame rates will most definitely bring more people back, but of course it wont help balance.

The optimizing that they are doing is probably the most crucial thing they can do right now.
    • Up x 5
  4. Sen7rygun

If you think that optimization isn't the biggest problem with this game at the moment then you've got rocks in your head.
    • Up x 12
  5. vipjerry

This game works much faster and fluid than PS1 ever was and people didn't quit PS1 cos of bad framerate.
    Dont get me wrong, its fine by me if they manage to bring few frames but my question is, since i don't have problem with framerate, when can we see some new content or did they stop with development until further notice?
    I think Its valid question.
    • Up x 1
  6. RX530SS

Hey look, Stews brother Jerry!
    • Up x 3
  7. vincent-

sigh
    • Up x 1
  8. ZephyrBurst

The devs have stated many times that there's no ETA on when they'll be done with the performance push.
    • Up x 1
  9. ChipMHazard

Well obviously it was proven incorrect that we wouldn't get to see anything new until they're done with the performance fixes, don't expect any new content when it comes to continent, map revamps etc. until said fixes are done. Wouldn't make much sense in implementing new content that would have to be redone for better performance.
    So no they haven't stopped working on Hossin, since they have to in order to improve the performance on it, but you won't be seeing Hossin until the performance fixes are done. AFAIK.
  10. IamDH

No ETA yet
  11. Klondik3

My bet is until PS4 release :p
  12. Ash87

No official push, but during Command Center 20, at one point the guy in charge of the optimization pass said something about having a 4 week deadline on something.

I'm willing to bet that wont be the end of the optimizations, but that could be when we see the next GU.
    • Up x 1
  13. CEGrif

Command Center 20? dont u mean 17?
    • Up x 1
  14. Ash87

*Facepalm* Yes... yes I do. War report is on 20, command center is on 17
  15. NikkoJT

There's your problem.

Fun fact: not everyone has the same hardware, software, Internet connection, and good luck as you.
    • Up x 2
  16. Noxrawr

Grats, youre the only player who doesnt have performance issues. Lets all forget about optimizing the game because OP says he does not have poor performance !
    • Up x 1
  17. Flapatax

My setup plays the game fine. It plays most other games amazingly well.

If you're a new player with a fancy shmancy build and you get into the game and you're getting <30 frames, without any friends playing it's hard to convince you to stay.

Optimization is necessary. It's a symptom of very bad project management, or at least very bad foresight by top-level decision makers, but unfortunately here we are. Much like cauterizing a wound, it sucks but ignoring it is worse.
  18. vipjerry

So you guys really believe there is some magic code that can squeeze like 100fps in huge battles and after this unbelivable patch everyone and my grandpa will suddenly start playing PS2?
    I think they are on vacation again or have some other stuff problem. This few changes they talk about will be probably fixed in a week. and after cca 3 months you will maybe see 1-2% framerate increase and 100% content decrease.
  19. t31os

I for one and very happy to hear of work on optimization, my main rig has really big issues running this game smoothly, this could actually spell a resolution for me.

Whilst i've had the pleasure of using another system this past 3 weeks or so, it's a little inconsiderate to imply "it works for me, what could i care about optimization, my system runs the game just fine"..

The experience i've had over the last few weeks is something i'd wish upon every PS2 player(it's night and day between the two systems despite meeting the game requirements), those current and those who have already left as a result of performance problems.

Having said that, i get it, i truly do, the game gets somewhat stale over time and new content is one of the few things to keep you interested in the game. Let me ask you a specific question though..

What one piece of content, or handful of things would magically make the game interesting for you now? And secondly(sorry yes another question), exactly how long do you think this content would keep you interested? (1 month? 2? 3? more?). Players consume content at a staggeringly fast rate, much faster than developers can create it, so do you honestly believe if this new content(insert content description here) was suddenly here tomorrow, it would keep you hanging on another 2 months or more?

Also consider that new content doesn't automatically magically fix bugs, and potentially introduces new ones, would you also expect all the bugs to vanish at the same time, or do you think you could coast along on the content alone? (bearing the bugs as you've always had to do)..

If you're feeling burnt out, play less, find something else to play, just take a break.... When i feel frustrated to the level *you appear* to be, i pull myself away from the thing frustrating me and come back to it later, and it makes the world of difference.

Maybe you just needed to vent though, in which case... have at it..

Peace..
  20. NC_agent00kevin

Optimizing is further development.

/thread
    • Up x 4