For devs who think this game is exclusively played by newbies:

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tar, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Tar

You are wrong.
    It's actually hard to conceive how you would come to that conclusion. But let's forget that.
    Just give us back the information about the progress of current base capture. You can even leave the mission stuff, I think most people are capable to ignore it should they want to.

AS UI UPGRADES GO, THIS IS A HUGE LEAP BACK.
    • Up x 5
  2. Drudid

agreed, who thought that removing useful critical information in favour of basic map knowledge and obnoxious ads were a good idea?
    • Up x 3
  3. Sandpants

Team Deathmatch at it's finest. Why do you need the base anyway...?
    • Up x 1
  4. McToast

Moin

Just take a look here at the forum. THIS is the reason the devs think this game is mostly played by "newbies". Just so much incompetence here in terms of gaming. So many people who clearly don't know what the hell they are talking about.
    • Up x 7
  5. Cirevam

And yet, a bunch of players think that the devs are equally incompetent. Everyone thinks everyone else is an idiot and they themselves are perfect. Welcome to humanity.

All of us need to sit down for a moment and think of things from the other side's perspective.
  6. iPlague

The current base and mission base capture is currently bugged. RadarX stated so himself

It'll be fixed in due time.
  7. uhlan

It depends on what you would call a newbie.

Ive been playing since beta and every day I see the same threads over and over again written by people who have played a month or so and think they have the inside track on the state of the game or have discovered the "solution" to what they view as a problem or an issue NEVER DISCOVERED BEFORE!
  8. Nepau

I'm confused, as I still see the capture information as always right now. Am I missing something or is this showing up on a Non Centeral Hud setup?
  9. TheFamilyGhost

The best way to get your entitlement is to convince the person not giving it that the only way they can gain credibility is by granting the entitlement.
  10. Vearo

I think the main concern is in retaining new players. Making a game like PS2 as straightforward as possible may keep new players long enough for them to learn enough to make it on their own.

The problem is that they reduced the amount of information available to experienced players. I think that in this case SoE needs to make the mission system's simplification optional. Making capture timers obscured for non-mission bases when missions are controlled by the server is kind of annoying.
  11. Zotamedu

Marlon has stated that it's not a bug. Apparently, players get confused if they get information about the current base if the mission tells them to go to another base. Furthermore, it is used to punish players who are not following their squad. So it's currently working as intended. The problem is that the design is stupid. It punishes tactical play and does exactly zero to improve the game for anyone.

So it's not a bug but I chose to treat it as one and send bug reports about it all the time.
    • Up x 1
  12. WyrdHarper

They really just don't understand that it's the experienced players who keep people playing, not weird little mechanics. I've had many people tell me that they would have stopped playing a long time ago if not for me--which is pretty flattering. And I kmow that's the case for a lot of other leaders--this is a social game, and it's more fun with friends. If they really want to retain newbies, they need to work on retaining the very experienced players who lead a lot, instead of taking away features and rewarding bad squadleading.
  13. Tar

yes it's bugged in the way it chooses the target
    but thats a separate topic from the UI change

Of course, these two together make it even worse
  14. SuperMedicated

UPGRADE NOW
  15. John_Aitc

Thinking back to Beta when I was new, I would have liked for the Devs to put some effort into helping me understand the game.

I think most of us picked a faction, named our character then were unceremoniously dropped somewhere between The Crown and CrossRoads with no idea what to do or where to go! I was TR, so red = good guys, but not in any other game. That was the first thing that I wish I knew before starting to play So many of my allies had to die for me to learn that lesson.

I agree that new players should be helped. I wish I could have better control over my UI like in most MMORPG style games. to turn on or off what I feel is useful versus just screen clutter.
  16. MasterCheef

i enjoyed that chaotic experience, but i'm sure MOST gamers dont.

i was so clueless my first time playing i didnt know i could switch continents with the same character. I played an NC,VS and TR all on different maps. Only reason i play TR today was because i had my first good run after understanding the game while playing TR. i actually chose VS first.

i have to admit, ive been playing for over a year and still get confused on what to do next on some bases and best order to do them.
    • Up x 1
  17. SuperMedicated

and that leads to low br players being compared with bots, players not gunning in sundies, dummy empty locked sunderers going straight into crossfire and more
  18. Chubzdoomer

All that's needed to rectify this is a better series of tutorials, not an in-game "mission system" that veteran players are stuck with and annoyed by. PlanetSide 2 isn't a difficult game to understand at all, especially now that the lattice system is in place on all three continents. It's literally just connect-the-dots from one base to another. On top of that, PlanetSide 2 not only has one of the easiest-to-understand maps of any online shooter, but also one of the best squad systems with features like squad waypoints and built-in VoIP that ensure you're always on the same page as everyone else.