Flight controls

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Multispastic, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Multispastic

Why are flight controls with a mouse and keyboard so horrible...every single time ive pulled anything its so horrible to fly i crash it or just bail...
    Spinning left with the mouse and then turning by moving mouse up is ********? i cannot even do it on my mouse mat the movement is so ********.
    I cannot replace a/d to the mouse either.. why?
  2. FateJH

That's actually how flying can work. What you miss is the natural ability of aircraft to perform a banked turn.
    If it helps, most pilots suggest pitching with an analog (keyboard) control rather than by pulling the mouse.
    The developers have said that the mouse controls for flying are so hardwired that untying that knot would be an unforgiving chore.
  3. FigM

This game's flight controls are actually pretty good once you learn them. There is one way it could be improved significantly with minor changes:

Add SHIFT key modifier to decrease keyboard step by 75%. Right now, using keys for rotation sets the rotation speed at maximum while key is down. This is especially problematic for Yaw control - which is often used for fine tuning aim, not major maneuvers.

So I want to press SHIFT + Left/Right/Up/Down key and get only 25% speed
  4. CorporationUSA

They are fine once you get used to it. There is a thread demanding that they add mouse yaw, so you can voice your opinion there. But talking about it doesn't seem to do anything, so I would suggest just sucking it up and putting in the time to get used to the flight controls. I guarantee that anyone can get used to the controls if the put in they time. You can take a stand against learning it on principle, but you'll just be missing out a pretty amazing part of the game. Just my 2 cents.

Also, the first thing you need to do move exit vehicle to somewhere you won't accidentally hit it in flight. I use the ~ key. Then bind "analog throttle" to the E key. That is your airbrake, and way more reliable than using decelerate to stop. Then you need pitch down bound to a key as well, and I recommend doing that with pitch up as well. Lastly, you'll be switching between 1st and 3rd person camera a lot, so put that somewhere convenient.

Godspeed.
  5. Multispastic

just tried again and it drove me mental..i felt like a spas tic.. i will be missing out on that part of the game it seems...i used to fly fine in ps1 but this is just silly bad horrid
    • Up x 1
  6. Goretzu

As people say the PS2 controls are "fine" once you get used to them, however they basically are terrible until you do.

PS1's system was a bit unintuitive, PS2s is much worse (especially the default setup), but it is very unlikely to change now given how few Devs and players PS2 now has.

It is just one the strange SOE-isms, that is there is basically every flight game that ever existed with similar controls systems, then there is Planetside 2 (and Vanu help you if you want to fly with a Joystick, even now after all the changes). Personally I suspect it is actually down to the engine and is effectively unfixable.

A lot of people claim it results in "skill", but it really doesn't, it is just in effect an awkwardness wall that just requires sufficent time to retrain muscle memory (from every other flight system in existance)...... it is basically just like if they hard-locked the ground vehicle move forward key to D, the move backward to A, the turn left to W and the turn right to S. :confused:
    It wouldn't take any real "skill" to get used to driving like that, but it would take quite a few hours of muscle memory retraining to be able to do it well.

And that's just the reality you have to accept with PS2 flight, it is utterly non-newbie friendly (and by newbie, it can actually be much worse to get used to for those with a lot of experience of flight in other games than someone that has never flown before), very unintuitive and will require some time to get your muscle memory used to it.
  7. Daigons

Besides the problems with learning how to fly, the biggest problem for new pilots is getting burned down instantly by ACE pilots, AA guns, and lock-on launchers. The VR environment isn't a proper place to learn how to fly and target air & ground units. They really need to have a proper training area for air combat with proper enemy "mob" units that will move and shoot at you from the air and ground. A new pilot will learn to just walk away and give up flying when facing 5 enemy ESFs who are all using AA lockons, gets torn to pieces by a few enemy dog fighters, or turned into a fine red mist from several bursters.