[Suggestion] Flash is OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ConradHorse, Jul 26, 2015.

1. task_master

You have to be seriously bad to think the flash is OP.

Heck, there was a VS guy on emerald trying to attack me 5 times with his wraith fury flash when I was mostly stock TR heavy. I never died to him and killed him 4 times, even though he landed a lot of directs and I was landing only bodyshots. It wasn't even a matter of skill or anything like that, I just listened for the flash engine sounds.

I don't play infantry and I can handle wraith flashes as an uncerted, supposedly underpowered weapon, infantry. Get good.
  2. FBVanu

We once made the suggestion that a Flash costs 50 nanites.. without any weapons on it.

Once you attached weapons to it, it should cost 200
    • Up x 2
  3. CorporationUSA

I don't think it's OP. The user(usually an infiltrator) can be shot off of it with any gun, and the flash dies with 1 rocket or tank shot, or just by ramming it with another vehicle. The cost is pretty low, but it's also supposed to be a cheap and fast transport for getting to battles. I'm not really sure why they added guns to it though, other than to sell more guns. They should make it drive slower with a gun.
  4. sebastian oscar post

oh for facks sake
    THE REASON WHY ITS WHAT IT IS IS TO COUNTERACT THE MEAT SPONGE IT IS!
  5. Freedom Fries

That is completely incorrect. I almost exclusively play on my maxed turbo-racer chassis flash and it is impossible to escape harassers without lots of terrain to block line of sight. The harrasser's speed is equal if not slightly greater than the turbo/racer flash. And even if the harrasser was 20 or so meters slower,it wouldn't matter because the flash has to constantly dodge or it becomes a very easy target and will die. Meaning the flash is driving left and right while the harrasser is constantly moving straight for it.

As for the cost vs reward. For just 100 more nanites, you get the fastest land vehicle with a wider array of weapons and a stable firing platform that allows shooting moving with relative ease. You also get turbo for free,meaning you have the choice of grabbing fire suppression or smoke. Meanwhile the flash is is highly vulnerable,other than allowing the pilot to be shot right off the vehicle, it has very low health and anything other than small arms pops it like a ripe grape in one hit.

But the flash's single greatest weakness is its severely limited firing arc. It is highly susceptible to getting its aim knocked out of wack by the slightest of bumps and has a small horizontal range. This makes for a highly risky method of attack. You can't do drive bys,you can't sit and bombard them(unless they're distracted and the terrain is conducive for it),and you can't strafe in and out of cover. This means you can only attack by driving towards your target and attempt to kill it before kills you(this makes you an easy target as you're not moving left and right.)

The problem that it all comes down to is wraith flashes. Their stealth is more than ample to achieve just about any goal and it allows them to circumvent the flash's weakness of being vulnerable due to their limited firing arc because the enemy doesn't know that they're there.
  6. Pointyguide2

lots of nerfing threads these days.
    people going from target to target.
  7. Kazrak

For all that whining about stealth 1337-Flash i have to admit it works pretty fine if you got the hang of it

IF YOU GOT THE HANG OF IT!!!

just try driving around some fights on your flash

The first thing that'll happen: Yeah you guessed right TANKMINES gona blow your sorry a** to the next moon
    The next thing: Every BR >60 is gona hunt you down after your first attack
    Then again TANKMINES!!!
    And if you're lucky there isn'T even any tank in sight who would instagib you the moment you drop your cloak

I think the flash is perfekt
    It's risky
    It's hard
    It's pretty easy to die on
    It has the huge potential of ****ing up every big infantry battle

I like it like it is now
  8. placeholder22

I agree with OP.

> Fury for 50 nanites
    It's too much firepower for too little. I mean, I can get 2/3rds of a C4 for the price of a Fury flash, and the Fury flash can kill any ground vehicle. It has almost the firepower of a lightning. (Pro Tip: Lightnings are too expensive)

> Cloak
    And now it has more survivability than a lightning. And if not that,

> Scout Radar
    Is OP by itself. Worst offenders are ESFs though with 200m instead of 100. I mean, WTF. That's an ability only a deployed sunderer should have. And those only get Proxy radar which is useless by comparison.

> Running over a max
    Sorry, but why does the Max die and not the flash? Purely from a weight POV, the Max might topple over, the flash and its driver should be dead.

> Running over infantry
    The Flash is too tough. It shouldn't take 5-10x as much small arms to kill a flash over its rider. It's an unarmored bike. Any hit with small arms should ruin tires, engines, gears etc.
  9. Liewec123

flash only becomes OP when you've poured a butt load of certs in to it,
    i've put 8971 certs into my flash, i fully expect it to be good. (maxed fury, scrapper, cloak, nano repair)
    pour 9000 certs in to ANYTHING and it will be beastmode.

and with that 9k certs i can still be spotted from a distance while cloaked and killed just as quickly as an infiltrator on foot.
    the only difference is i have slower turning, restricted aiming angles and a bigger gun.

edit i will say however that the roadkill mechanic needs to change, thats a cheap tactic that needs to go.
  10. 0fly0

Can't agree more with that, you can kill a cloack flash with a little awareness and a commi shot...
  11. Voross

I use the flash mostly to get into good sniping positions or to advance to the next base to hack all the things. I don't think it's op...while the flash is pretty strong when fully certed it's also really vulnerable, the engines are loud and the cloak doesn't really do much within 20m. They shouldn't change the roadkill mechanic either, it's easy to dodge and it's a piece of cake to kill them when they charge straight at you. The only change I agree to is that the flash should be more expensive when a weapon is equipped. It makes sense and it's weird that it's not already like that. If you only want to use it to get to the next base 50 nanites is a good deal, but if you want to have a small tank you should pay for it like it's a small tank.
  12. Pikachu

You didn't complain 2 years ago, why now when it's less powerful than back then? Retro-nerfer.
  13. WetPatch

Its the Planetside way, things go unnoticed for a year or two, then once people catch on to the possibility of it being good they want it nerfed.

Look at Battle Sundys. Within a week they were everywhere.
  14. Blue_Shift

Don't Mistake Troll Power vs Over Power(ed).

The "driving by the sundy to run over inf" is easily countered with 1 or 2 engineers placing mines all around the sundy. Or any class that has 1 or 2 that are specifically looking 2 shoot the flash.

The flash is best on flat ground, which isnt all that common. The slightest bumpiness makes your aim terrible. So imagine great weapons but shaking the camera all the time.

A flash will punish you if your not paying attention.

I think its iver poweed in very speciic circumstances but not overpowered generally speaking..

Its similar to a esf being op when there is no anti-air and he just gets to rocket-pod everyone.
    So If someone does that to you, you run anti air. With the flash you run explosives, keep an eye out, park the sundy in a safe way.. etc.
  15. HAXTIME

Yep, you are right. I just tried it yesterday for the first time against an NC zerg an Sungrey Overwatch. Flash (especially with Fury) is way too potent for a 50-Nanite, cloakable weapon. I suggest a:
    • slight nerf to the Fury, or
    • +50 Nanite cost for the Flash when you have a weapon equipped, and a slight buff to Cobalt and Basilisk, or
    • require a "weaponization" utility slot item, without which no weapons on the Flash are allowed - you now need to choose from:
      • cloaking
      • turbo
      • front-weapon
    I'm very rarely killed by this thing, but I must admit that it is way too open for abuse in a way or two.
  16. Crator

17. customer548

- "Hi Devs, my name is Brian. I'm here 'cause you have very important task to do for me Asap !"
    - "Hi Brian, what's your problem ?"
    - "I am farmed by people riding motorbikes, and i can't stand it. Need Nerf Asap !"
    - "Brian, did you notice that Flash drivers had no protection ? Did you notice that you could kill them in an easy way while aiming for the driver only ? Did you notice that a single AV mine could destroy Flashes ? Did you try to chase those guys while using your own Flash ? Did you notice that you could find them in an easy way while looking at your minimap ? Did you even try to use your environment when a Flash is around...you know stuff like hiding among trees, hiding in buildings ?"
    - "Oh ok, but i'm too lazy. I need Nerf Asap. I'm not here to think !!"
    • Up x 5
  18. Stormsinger

Um...

Someone is complaining about flashes? ... Did they finally fix flash handling or something? I thought I had just gotten used to the weird driving mechanics on Auraxis... eh.

As for destroying tanks with the Mortar (I assume you mean the Fury) - sure, in the same way you can destroy liberators with explosive crossbow bolts. (Well, not really - but the concept is the same. You are plinking away at something that outmatches you in firepower in every possible way)

In all seriousness - I have spent more on my flash then any other vehicle I own (except for perhaps sunderer, now that I dumped a pile into stealth / cloak) - It takes a ridiculous amount of certs to make this thing viable. One rocket or tank shell of any flavor will reduce it to a pile of slag - one tank mine will do the same.

It takes a very high degree of experience and investment to use a flash well in combat, the worst part about being killed by a flash ... is that you were killed by a flash, most people don't expect it when it happens, and it's annoying when it does. There are many weapons intended to work this way - Sniper rifles, C4, grenades, rocket launchers vs infantry, tank shells to the face, etc - The flash just takes the most investment and skill to use in this fashion.

In terms of the Flash's Fury vs rear MBT armor, best case scenario: 365 damage shots vs 30% rear armor, light AV ordinance resistance of 20% - That's 204.4 damage vs a MBT's 4000 HP (vs side or front armor, that's 108 damage, 38 rounds instead of 20. Stock ammo pool is 48 rounds)

In ideal conditions, that's 20 rounds to blow a MBT from rear armor. Assuming the flash has 2 ranks in magazine size, that's 2 full clips. Emptying the clip on full auto, at 171 RPM... .35 rounds per second, that's 3.5 seconds to empty the clip, + 3 seconds for a reload, +3.5 seconds for another 10 rounds.

In ideal conditions, that's 10 seconds for one flash to blow a MBT, which is enough time for the (non prowler) MBT to turn and fire 3-4 shots with it's main cannon. In my experience, it takes slow driver 3 seconds to turn and fire, and that's a 1/2 tank with a low BR pilot.

With the Fury investment, a chassis good enough to use with at least some dexterity in combat, the cloaking, the stealth, the certs in ammo / magazine size, etc... let's say 4000-6000 certs, anything can still remove you in one tank shell, rocket, tank mine, etc, and the driver is still vulnerable to small arms.

The Flash itself is fine, but due to it's potential strength in combat (Although the above is really a best case scenario vs armor) I wouldn't mind a nanite cost of 75 base, or 150 with a weapon attached.
    • Up x 1
  19. Pikachu

Pounder, canister and now flash. Valkyrie next perhaps.
  20. Scr1nRusher

How/.... how is this a thread?

Forumside your better then this.