flare vs ursa

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by chamks, Feb 17, 2018.

1. chamks

hello team.. i purched the ursa few years ago and now the maw. i want a more reliable lmg with better controll. anyway i looked at ps2 wiki on the ursa and flare, now it says that the ursa has lower vertical/first shot/horizontal recoil than the flare, but it really doesnt fell that way. when i take the flare for a test drive it really feels the opposite, that the flare has the lower recoil and better control of them both. maby because i was with the stock aim with the flare, and not with the x2/x3.4 of my ursa.
  2. Lord_Avatar

The Ursa does have better handling than the Flare. That being said, I wouldn't go above x2 on either of those.
    • Up x 2
  3. Prudentia

Flare is a lot better than the Ursa
    The rate of fire increase alone means that you are dishing out more damage and that the recoil happens more smoothly.
  4. HippoCryties

5. Lord_Avatar

It only has a 27 rpm advantage over the Ursa against its superior accuracy. I'd say the Ursa is better at mid-long range and the Flare at close-mid.

What really sets them apart is that the Flare has access to SPA, whereas the Ursa does not.

Oh and the Ursa looks fit as fancy, and the Flare is ugly. :D
  6. Prudentia

The issue is that at the ranges where the Ursa overtakes the Flare in BTK is at around 45m to 50m and there aren't really that many important fights after that range.
    and the Anchor only has a rpm advantage of 23 over the Flare yet it is considered to be one of the best, if not THE best LMG in the game.
  7. Lord_Avatar

That's because most players tend to overvalue raw DPS. Also - it's a dedicated CQC LMG which means it has an easy time putting that extra ROF to good use. Don't get me wrong - I play TR exclusively and I love the dakka, but accuracy is just as important.
  8. Prudentia

you can always compensate for recoil by controlling your aim, you can always compensate for inaccuracy via positioning or bursting, you can never make a gun kill faster than it can kill
  9. Lord_Avatar

Horizontal shake you can't really compensate for, bursting lowers your DPS and positioning is crucial regardless of weapon.
    I don't want to get into a tug-of-war over this (like I said - I love my DAKKA), but there's a reason the NS series weapons are rated highly by most players and it sure as hell isn't their damage output. ;)
    • Up x 2
  10. Eternaloptimist

This - I often run NS15M or Tanto for medium to long range bursting. Also fast reloads on both. NB a foregrip reduces horizontal recoil to some extent.
    • Up x 1
  11. Lord_Avatar

True, same what the Compensator does for vertical, but while reigning in vertical recoil is purely a matter of mousepad space, there is nothing you, as a player, can do about horizontal shake.

+1 for those fast reloads - sure come in handy.
  12. Eternaloptimist

13. CJ2DaRescue2

I've aurax's both lmgs. I have no definitive data on handling. I can just tell you OP that the Flare just feels more comfortable to me as well. I find that Flare is far more useful due to fights being close to medium range more often.
    • Up x 1
  14. Erendil

Putting optics higher than 1x on a weapon will drastically increase the perceived recoil of any weapon while aiming down the sights. That is why the Flare felt more controllable to you - because you were comparing the Flare w/ iron sights to the Ursa w/ 2x/3.4x optics attached.

Here are the stats of the Flare and Ursa side-by-side so you can compare them: http://www.planetstats.net/data/weapons/?id=7277,7278

As you can see, the Ursa has superior ADS Moving COF, Horizontal recoil, Tolerance, and First Shot Recoil Multiplier. So it will feel smoother on the second shot (when the FSRM is applied) and will be more accurate on every shot thereafter assuming you're moving while firing - which you pretty much always should be doing.

Plus, the Flare's higher ROF will give it more recoil over time during sustained fire.

If you want an LMG that is more controllable than the Ursa as VS, your only 2 options are:
    • The Polaris
    • The NS-15M2 (and its cosmetic variants)
    Both are decent mid-range LMGs. In addition, the NS-15M2 has that sweet .75x ADS movement, making you a harder target to hit while moving. And the Polaris has a REALLY long max damage range (20m, or 25m with soft ammo) which makes up a bit for its low base DPS (143 damage @ 652 RPM).
    • Up x 2