[Suggestion] Fix TR max lockdown

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Brad seven, Jan 1, 2015.

1. EliteEskimo

No I didn't edit the post, are you still intoxicated since it's New Years Day?!?!:eek:
    • Up x 1
  2. TheMish

So far I love ZoE, and I think it's the 2nd most useful ability, behind the Aegis shield, and ahead of Lockdown.
  3. f0d

you like being nerfed?!?!?
  4. Flag

No, not drunk... I did get mightily high on caffeine though.
    Shaky hands best hands.:p

By all means, list the reason for why you think it's that good.
  5. TheMish

I'm harder to hit when I go up against tanks with Vortexes.

It fits my game play as a Max, which is usually more aggressive with charging in.

I feel lighter when ZoE is on, feels more comfortable.

I'm not stuck in place like an idiot unlike lock down.

I'm usually taken care of by engineers, and even if they don't repair me, I have auto-repair set up on my Max. So I can keep going longer, as opposed to needing heavier armor to survive if I used lock down, or the aegis shield was broken under heavy fire.

It's more versatile than lock down and aegis shield.

The 15 seconds seem not to be a massive problem. Since I can go straight into a room with ZoE, and even if I get killed, I can do a fair amount of damage, a lot if I go any medics I see.

Overall, just seems to be better for the average situation you're caught in.
  6. TheMish

I think it was a reasonable nerf. It was really OP when it ran indefinitely.
  7. f0d

not talking about THE nerf

its the fact that turning on ZOE actually makes you less effective than not having it at all
  8. zombielores

AEGIS is ridiculously buggy, not only explosives but sometimes it'll even let bullets leak through the shield and damage you, the visuals and the hit box doesn't line up because of server lag so your gambling if the server decides that you have a shield or not. Also clientside, enough said.
    Currently all the shield ever does is make you explosive bait and probably ends up killing more often then it'll save you.

ZOE is a self nerf, it doesn't increase max speed or increase weapon damage enough to warrant taking additional damage, your better off with charge anytime your using ZOE even with busters because it doesn't increase the flak damage.

Lock down is a great idea, just mounted on the wrong platform. Currently the ability is very very niche and has no use outside of surprise ambush AV work, it's actually great at anti deployed sundie with pounders.
    • Up x 1
  9. doombro

Mobility is life in a FPS. If lockdown is going to be useful, it needs to confer some serious defensive benefits as well.
    • Up x 2
  10. Flag

I'll give you the Vortex thing, but that's also the extent of it. It works because of the very long range you can engage from.
    For aggressive/close range play, the reduction in durability when ZOE is active makes Charge a better option.

And the whole thing about engineers and auto repair doesn't really have anything to do with the ability you use. If anything, the fact that you take more damage when it's active means you'll need more attention from engineers or spend more time not in a fight. If you do get killed as you describe, what good did ZOE do? The damage output in that kind of setting is pretty much the same, you are less durable and you've foregone having charge as either a way to get even further in or as a way to get out if things get hairy.

In short, by using ZOE you die faster, and have less time with which to shoot at people, so you get less done.

I want to point out that I don't think Lockdown is fine. As far as I'm concerned it's a kind of ability the game shouldn't have (too strong of a benefit, at too high a cost - same as the Prowler one).

At the end of the day, with how you describe the close range use of ZOE, the increased evasiveness isn't strong enough to really matter, nor is the SPA effect. What you're then left with is that it makes you more like paper. And if combat mobility is what you're after, Charge gives you that without taking a toll on your durability.
    Lockdown, for all it's flaws gives a unique benefit.
  11. TheMish

So far, just ZoE just about in every way, benefits me when I use a VS Max.

If I get damaged, no problem. I have engineers to patch me up, or I self repair.

That extra speed when I strafe is actually pretty helpful, it may not seem like much, but so far, I've avoided more rocket spammers with it.

When it comes to charge, I mean I get it, I use it with my Terran Max when I use the chain-guns. But I feel very sluggish when I start firing, it seems to me more like a death charge, I come in there, and unleash as many bullets into engineers and medics as I can, because I sure as hell won't be able to use it to get out.

I use kinetic armor for my Terran Max, mainly because I seem to have almost no defensive capabilities. With the VS Max, sure I have less armor, but I also make people miss me more when I strafe. With the NC Max, I can put up my shield, and force myself into the enemy.

Charge only works to get me from point A to point B quickly. Either in an attempt to escape, which when fighting c4 fairies, charge is no doubt superior, or getting behind the enemy.

But when I'm actually in the room, it seems that I've always done better with a VS Max using ZoE, than getting behind them with charge quickly.

I usually use Maxes as a means of breaking an enemy defense. I rig them for offense, and use them as much as I can, aiming for engineers, and medics. Whatever happens, happens.

The only Max I really play more defensively is the Terran, besides that, I use up my NC and VS Maxes pretty quickly, but so far I've had success with using them aggressively, so that's what I've been doing.
  12. TheMish

I think different, I found that it helps me a lot.
  13. Brad seven

I will Admit, for some reason I always tend to shoot a max that has his shield up.
  14. sL360

I keep trying to use dual fractures with lockdown. I die to AP vanguards sniping me every time. Lockdown is only good against AA and if you're 300-400m above your targets.

IMO lockdown would be so much better if it gave an accuracy boost. If any of you have ever played Nuclear Dawn, the EXO suit lockdown is a perfect example; you essentially become a living turret. If lockdown actually did that, MAXes might actually get some viability in long range, something TR usually lacks in.
    • Up x 2
  15. Flag

As an engineer player, you're the kind of player I don't like.
    The way you play means people like me and medics have to spend more time using our class tools and not taking an active part in the fight.
    In other words, your choice of equipment leads to either you dying and wasting your max, or wasting our time more than what a non-ZOE max would.

Not to mention that you seem to not really get that ZOE makes you die in situations where not using it could have left you alive. And for what? So you can have a bit more comfortable movement (that's still not really going to change your effective evasion in infantry fights), at the cost of your friendly medics and engineers?

You're leeching off your team without really giving it back in the form of performing better.

Even if you rely on the auto repair, you're still decreasing your effectiveness as you'll spend more time doing nothing/waiting for repairs than fighting.
    • Up x 1
  16. 60rockstar

this
  17. Leftconsin

My experience with lockdown is radically different from everything you guys are describing. I honestly thought this was going to be a thread about how it should get nerfed. When you find those sweet spots lockdown pounder MAXes with a pocked engy will defend against infinity people. Its like Lurkers defending against Marines. As long as you have a choke point people want to get through, and a firm ceiling to protect against C4 faeries, you can lock down and get upwards of 10 kills per minute. With current base design the way it is now finding choke points like that isn't THAT hard. They aren't at every base, but are at plenty of them.
    • Up x 1
  18. TheMish

What am I leeching? I'm destroying the enemies defenses, without Maxes charging in like myself, it just turns into a stalemate, with rocket spamming.

Either I shatter their defense, or it's over.

And to be honest, no, ZoE has never ONCE been a disadvantage. I can move around quickly, take out people, and so far significantly better than with a Terran or Conglomerate Max.

Charge is only good for getting there, what am I do to once I get there? When I could equip an ability that helps me when I'm there, not getting there.

And honestly, it seems like auto-repair has helped me more often than not. Often being aggressive when I use a Max gets me in dangerous spots, where if I had kinetic or flak armor, I would be in serious trouble. But auto-repair helps me get back to full hp, and hit from behind the enemy.

I have never once, ever seen ZoE fail me, honestly it confuses me as to how anyone could screw up with ZoE. It works on the spot, and it helps you knock out people quickly.
  19. zombielores

What, do you know what ZOE does right now? Because I don't think you know what it does.
    • Up x 1
  20. TheMish

Yeah I do, I play Vanu time to time...pretty sure every normal person plays all 3 factions at least a little bit.

http://imgur.com/o3O5Gf9