Fix Steam version...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Protactical, May 8, 2013.

1. Protactical

Every time I start the game from steam. The game will crash after pressing the play button. Only on very rare occasion. When there is a full moon and the wolves howl will the game start when using steam...o_O

However the game will start fine without any sorts of problems, if I go into the steam folder where the game files are located, and uses the launcher file so it won't have the steam overlay.
  2. KingPenguinUK

I'd like to know if there is a fix for this problem too, I can' run Planetside 2 from within steam I have to manually launch it from the install folder, its rather annoying. I like my steam overlay :)

Thing is I know other guys who I play with don't have this problem they are all launching from steam fine, I can't seem to work out what the problem is.

I've restarted Steam, Restarted PC, checked the files in the launchpad (not done it steam way because that messes the game up) Still can't get it to launch right from steam.

It starts to load then just crashes back saying the Planetside2.exe stopped working.
  3. Quiiliitiila

Hmmm, that's odd. My brother and I both use Steam with PS2 and there's never been any problems like what you are both describing...

Perhaps there's some other underlying issue? Is your Steam version up to date?
  4. MrBasso1

what Problem did you have Game Closed before even starts?

Make sure the drive in English Letter Only trust me that work Anything English If the game did the some thing try to Run Check
  5. KingPenguinUK

I never had a problem with the Steam version till the GU08 came out. Before that Planetside 2 would launch fine from Steam (I'd get the odd Stops responding crash, but launch it again and it was fine)

Just to help problem solve this is what happens.

Click Play on Planetside 2 in Steam
    PS2 Launcher appears and does its patch check (patches if there is one ) otherwise it turns to the green Play button
    Click Green Play Button and game starts to load
    Cursor changes to Planetside 2 one as screen goes black
    (Now usually just after this in normal game working conditions you'll get a loading splash screen with the % bar at the bottom)
    Mouse then changes back to windows mouse icon
    Game closes down and windows shows the "Planetside 2.exe has stopped working" and closes the program

PC Specs

I7 3770K 3.5ghz (not overclocked)
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB
    16GB RAM
    OS and Games Drives are run off SSD's

Like I said before the last big update I didn't have any problems with the Steam running PS2, maybe the odd crash when launching.

Steam Version is upto date (it automatically does it anyway)
  6. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

There are a few different issues which may be causing this problem for you, so you may need to try a few things to get into the game:

1. Please ensure that you have added an exception within your Firewall or Anti-Virus software for planetside2.exe, launchpad.exe, and awesomiumprocess.exe.

The location of these files can vary, but by default they should look like this:

SOE Version:

C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.exe
    C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\PlanetSide2.exe
    C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.libs\AwesomiumProcess.exe

Steam Version

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\PlanetSide 2\Launchpad.exe
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\PlanetSide 2\PlanetSide2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.libs\AwesomiumProcess.exe

PS2 & Anti-Virus Software

2. You may need to clear the cache settings for the launch pad by going to the launchpad.libs folder in your PlanetSide 2 directory and delete the launchpad.cache folder then try accessing the game once again.

3. The launcher may have been corrupted and will need to be repaired before it will work correctly. You can repair the launcher with the launcher set up file from the following link:

https://launch.soe.com/installer/PS2_setup.exe

Let me know if that helps.
  7. KingPenguinUK

Never had a problem Planetside 2 and my NOD32 anti-virus and Firewalls since I started playing back during the beta, something happened in GU08 that for some reason Steam on My PC and PS2 don't get on.

I've cleared that cache settings folder like you asked and unfortunately that didn't fix the problem, still crashes when it starts to load the game.

I downloaded that PS2_Setup.exe to attempt a repair on the launcher but when running it, it asking to install Planetside 2 in its own folder, I'm using the steam version and don't want another installation of PS2.

Just to clear something up the games DOES work if I run the launchpad.exe from the steam folder as a short-cut on my desktop.

The problem is that when I click PLAY in steam program (so I get use of the overlay) on the Planetside 2 game that's when after the lauchpad logs me in and starts the load the game it crashes.

Did a quick search on Steam to see if anyone else was having this problem and I found this thread

http://steamcommunity.com/app/218230/discussions/0/828938532949928209/

What's interesting in it, is that the guy sent a ticket to SOE and got this response.

The original poster added to the end of the above

Now my SOE account is from way back when Star Wars Galaxies was about and I've used it for SOE games since then. I've done the same thing, I've added Station Cash to my PS2 account while I was in-game using the Steam version... does that mean now I'm never able to use the Steam version properly again? seems a bit stupid that really and needs to be looked into since at the moment its only effecting rare people but it could turn into a problem if more people decide to add Station Cash when there's an offer on and are using accounts they've had from other SOE games.
  8. KingPenguinUK

Also thinking about this more, I bought station cash using steam wallet quite a while ago, it was only after GU08 that it started not working, so did SOE or Steam change something in GU08 that effects accounts and steam wallet transactions?