fix friendly fire please

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by alucarD22, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Liewec123

if i'm suppressing a doorway of a defensive point and a friendly decides to stand right infront of me i fire off one or 2 rounds every few seconds until the idiot gets his @$$ out of my face or dies.

use your eyes people, don't stand or walk infront of people when they're firing.

that being said, it does work both ways, if a friendly is trying to go through the door you're suppressing then stop firing and let him push. (looking at you spawn room campers.)
    • Up x 1
  2. Goretzu

All of that (bar grenade throws) isn't about Friendly Fire though, it about SOE being weak sauce with purposeful team killers/griefers.

Removing friendly fire would break the game, it would become an AOE spam-fest just like Warhammer Online was (because it didn't have FF).
    • Up x 1
  3. Goretzu

Then you'd just have people purposefull ygriefing and TK with AOE weapons anyway, whilst the servers went down under the strain of everyone firing all the time, everywhere.

The one thing I really don't understand though is why TKs count as a death, just making them not count would get rid of 90% of the issues in this thread TK/grief-wise, yet would still retain the good stuff about friendly fire.
    • Up x 1
  4. BlueSkies

Working as intended
  5. steverogers

No, because of the average stats.
  6. OldMaster80

It
    It's not, as long as you do not cross friendly lines of fire like a headless chicken.
    The problem is not friendly fire, it's some players completely lack combat awareness.
    • Up x 1
  7. GoyoElGringo

AOE = Explosives. I understand some VS weapons are AOE and not necessarily explosives, but I'm counting those too. There is absolutely no reason why bullets should do 100% team damage. Same for vehicle collisions.
  8. Slamz

Is there irony in the fact that two of the newer threads are, basically:
    "Weapons lock down is too mean! I get locked down from even slight amounts of FF!"
    and
    "FF is out of control! Nobody is getting weapons lock from massive FF abuse!"

I declare that this is how we know the system is balanced.

(Although frankly I agree that it could be tightened up a bit in favor of more weapons locks. I think I have something like 500 hours in this game and have yet to be weapons locked. I thought PS1 was tighter on this than PS2.)
  9. Goretzu

Bullet fire to a degree, but you would just end up with everyone firing all the time everywhere (because there'd be no reason not to).

Vehicles that would mean that you could just charge in through your own infantry without worry or throught.

Both things IMO would reduce the skill and tactical play of the game..... certainly less people would die to friendlies, but I think gameplay would take a dive right along with it.

Personally I'd much rather they:

1) removed the "death" from being TK'd.
    &
    2) punished regular TKers much, much more harshly (anyone with 20+% total TKs should be suspended for long periods - weeks or months, if not banned outright).
    • Up x 1
  10. alucarD22

I think a lot of the more recent team killing is due to the little blue ally icon not appearing above players at certain distances. The way I generally play there is no reason for me to be tked I am usually out in the field sneaking up on unsuspecting enemies not zwrging out in a small room with 200 players.

For example I got team killed about 30 times yesterday out of maybe 50 deaths one of them I was in an open outside area a about to sneak up on this NC guy maybe 20-30m away from him and a friendly flash pulls up and load me full of kobalt 100% friendly fire and his response when I asked why was, "sorry I didn't see you there" if you don't see anything then why the hell are you shooting I wasn't even in his alignment with theone nc player that was there. And most of my other team kills were very similar to that other than being run over by vehicles and hit with a friendly drop pod once.
  11. WarmasterRaptor

What is needed to be fixed?

You killing friendlies with uncontrolled shooting or you getting in front of allies guns?
  12. TheFamilyGhost

I started taking a lot less FF when I stopped running in front of people that were firing.
    • Up x 1
  13. GoyoElGringo

This isn't Counterstrike, skill and tactical gameplay take a back seat to the hordes or careless casual players who don't even want to work as a team or PTFO. Unfortunately, I'm surrounded by these people, and TKs are definitely an issue because of it. And poor lag compensation combined with clueless ***** with no situational awareness means I can barely drive forward in a vehicle without hurting teammates.

Your speculation about "everyone firing all the time" is completely unfounded. I don't even know why you think that would happen, but I'm even more confused about why you want tactical gameplay, but you think more suppressive fire would be a bad thing. I'm guessing you think bullet spam would become a thing, but that doesn't happen when there are no friendlies in the way now, so why would it happen without friendly fire? BF3 doesn't have friendly fire, and it even has a suppression mechanic, but I don't see any issue with bullet spam. And there are obviously reasons to not fire all the time, like reloads and muzzle flash.
  14. MarvinGardens

Two wrongs don't make a right. In fact, it just makes the situation more chaotic. When you TK someone who TK'd you and I only see you doing it, YOU are the TKer from my point of view, and subject to being reported. Don't stoop to their level. If they blatantly TK you, just report them. Someday, the GMs will do their jobs and then they will be gone. Someday...

And to address the original topic. You absolutely need FF in a massive war game like this. Otherwise, the world will never stop exploding! Instead of squads moving under the cover of smoke, they will be moving under the cover of explosive fire. Firefights will break down to which side can make the most cohesive wall of explosive death, and bullets will be an afterthought.

Even if they take explosives out of the game(vehicle drivers and pilots will just hate that wouldn't they?) you'll just be facing solid walls of bullets from engineer turrets and LMGs(Lashers will probably be the most overpowered) that never stop firing when trying to take a base. Good luck with that.
  15. Crator

AFAIK, there's nothing against the rules when it comes to team-killing. The grief system was implemented to take care of it. That means you most likely won't see any type of moderator intervention due to it. Even still, I'll report intentional team-kills done to me as harassment with the hopes that if they have too many violations against them they will get punished somehow.

Only time I've intentionally TKed is when someone else just TKed me and I respawned and they come at me again, then I'll TK you into the ground. *Only happened a few times and usually they stop but I typically leave the area after those first few encounters and it ends...
  16. MarvinGardens

Battlefield is not nearly as massive as Planetside 2. The largest battles in Battlefield = a small firefight in Planetside. Plus, I do recall several games of BF4(Operation Locker I'm looking at you) that came down to a chokepoint with both teams just spamming explosives and bullets until the game ended.
  17. Goretzu

Like I said I've played PvP MMOs without Friendly Fire, they were like I said, I don't really see what there is to argue about. :confused:
  18. RobotNinja

Not all friendly fire is friendly. :p

[IMG]
  19. Bixli

..yeah , soe fix this pls , higby pls!
  20. Mythologicus

The Lasher does half-damage to friendlies, if I recall correctly, and also fires big glowing balls of obviousness. This doesn't stop dip****s from standing in front of you for long enough to get themselves killed (I don't even know).