Fix for the crash to desktop (OutofMemory)! [Please Read]

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Meta Haze, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Brainwayne

face it guys, there is no fix - SOE screwed up bigtime and they have no clue why almost every player crashes sooner or later... it is a memory issue for sure, but its more like this issue is caused by bad coding and not by lack of ram

For me those crashes mostly appear when suddenly facing large battles - it almost looks like some buffers get overloaded or there suddenly is a "null" value while rewriting ram...
    • Up x 2
  2. ThatsKarma

thanks so much this helped played for ages without a crash I did what you said but 8000 because I have 8 ram but it didn't work the first time until I tried again and restarted my computer so people if it don't work the first time try again and restart :) thanks heaps again !
  3. Tradewind

This is just pseudo-techy nonsense. All it does is change how the OS handles virtual memory addressing. Systems with low physical memory who end up having to do a lot of paging or rely on their virtual memory a lot more may find this solution more appropriate than others. Though it can help people with more RAM as well.

That said, if you're above 8GB of physical memory, you're more than capable of disabling paging all together and all of this becomes mostly irrelevant.

How to on Windows 7:
  4. Ineedsleep

I'm running 64-bit windows 7 with 16GB of Ram and quad i7's at 2400Mhz and a Nvidia GTX 765M video card with 2GB. Planetside 2 has insta-crashed to the desktop every single time I've run it. The only error message I've ever seen is 'planetside.exe has stopped working'.

While running there are various errors, including platoon chat stutter, video-freezing, and random fps drops so it looks like toons are disappearing for a few seconds and then reappearing a few metres away (in the general line of their movement).

Personally I'm going with an implementation issue rather than a computer issue. Games that force me to f*** with general computer settings are almost never worth playing because if everything else is working properly (except for Planetside) then that pretty much tells me where the problem is.

Note to everyone: Don't go mucking around with your ram settings unless you absolutely know what the implications are.
    • Up x 1
  5. Ineedsleep

I just want to confirm that the fix seems to be not using a copy run through steam.

uninstall the steam version and get a copy from planetside2.com I just ran the new copy for over an hour without any hiccups. The steam version failed after 5-10 minutes every time.
  6. Buster1651

Bumping everyday. If you're having trouble, search your computer "CMD.exe" right click and run it as an administrator, type in bcdedit /set increaseuserva to whatever rams, restart your comp and see if it works :)
  7. Zolton34

If its increasing virtual memory why not make it easier to understand for xp users?

1.Click start
    2.scroll up to my computer right click it choose properties
    3.click advanced tab from the menu
    4.click settings under performance
    5.click advanced tab from the menu
    6.you will see virtual memory and the amount it is at now click change to adjust the virtual memory and set it to what ever you need to.

Not sure if it works for other versions of windows but this is an easy way to get to virtual memory using windows xp. sorry if that is not what you are talking about.
  8. Zolton34

9. bwilson

1) Trying something you read on the Interwebs
    2) Change computer wide settings that you don't know what they do in hopes to fixing a memory leak in an application
    3) Tell others on the Interweb to do the same thing
    4) .... do not profit.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542202(v=vs.85).aspx
    "increaseuserva Megabytes
    Specifies the amount of memory, in megabytes, for user-mode virtual address space. This variable can have any value between 2048 (2 GB) and 3072 (3 GB) megabytes in decimal notation. Windows uses the remaining address space (4 GB minus the specified amount) as its kernel-mode address space. "

Why stop there, there are other cool boot options as well...
    • Up x 2
  10. Meta Haze

I realize you last replied almost a month ago, but when I saw the reply you made, I just had to comment. I would have posted sooner but stopped playing a long time ago and am only coming back due to the optimization patch which is supposed to improve fps.

First of all, please.. Look at the date when I posted this, I found something that fixed my problem and figured it would help others at the time, a lot of people were experiencing the same problem and in fact did work for some of them. I actually do know what this does otherwise I would not have suggested to do it, which is why I said do not do it unless you have 4gb or more ram. Second of all, where and when did I even mention or seek profit from this solution? It was just a fix that I used to stop my crashing and wanted to help others and knew this was from Microsoft...

This post is quite old and honestly should be deleted.
  11. Meetzer

Hi, guys.

I've been encountering this problem a whole lot since I reinstalled my OS (7 x32), but, thing is, now whenever I try using this particular fix again (which has worked in the past, mind you), I get a message telling me that an error has occurred while attempting to reference the specified entry, and the system cannot find the file specified. Note, I am certain that I am running the commands under Administrator Mode. What has changed since the last time I tried this fix (and it worked) is that I installed Linux as well, and may have...tampered with the boot manager a bit. Things got hairy, I suppose. Now this is the bit that's just too technical for me to figure out, so if anybody has an idea what I should be doing, I'd be very grateful.

Specs: Intel Core 2Duo E6740 @2.66GhZ, 3GB RAM, nVidia GTX 550 ti, Windows 7 32 bit.
    Spe Note
  12. IDC_

13. laziffer

thank you Meta Haze. This fix works good for a friend of mine.

his system:

Windows 7 32bit
    Intel P8700
    Radeon HD 4650 (1gb vram)
    4 gb RAM
  14. Aragotz

BUT... to me, its sais that bcdedit isnt recognised as an internal or external command
  15. ANANPOWERS

Well. I can verify that soe help surpport is telling me to use this method. And I dont know if I should feel save :confused:

http://prntscr.com/5xeaz2
  16. tigerchips

I've had quite a few of those out of memory files and i use 64 bit version only. I have 8gb with 6gb available for PS2 for crying out loud.