Fix for the crash to desktop (OutofMemory)! [Please Read]

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Meta Haze, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Schultzy

This fix works for me. I'm a Vista (32) user with 8 gig ram (yes, I know Vista doesn't use it) and AMD HD 6950 video card. My game would crash every 10 to 15 min. Thanks for the help.
  2. IshanDeston

Sorry to say, but you are not. 32 bit systems are limited to a maximum of 4GB, which is shared between RAM and VRAM. Meaning if your video card has 1GB Ram, your system provides an additional 3GB of those 8 you are having.

I strongly suggest, with that amount of GB, that you install Win64 to actually use them.
  3. Mustiz

Still a bit lost on what Windows XP users do to resolve this issue.
  4. thexmenkid

I cant find the CMD prompt
    Can someone please help
  5. VitaliyAT

look like game crash on 32bit OSs that installed on 64bit CPUs. I have such config + 4Gb RAM (2x2) and each 30-40 minits it's crash.
  6. MeridiusWhite

I run Windows XP Professional SP3. Whenever I try the solution in the cmd, I get this:
    "bcdedit is not recognized as an internal or external command, Operable program, or batch file."

I have 8 gigs of ram total.

Memory: 3562MB RAM
    Page File: 1129MB used, 4314MB available
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 470
    Display Memory: 1280.0 MB

Any tips?
  7. JC065

I tried this and set the limit at 2700 (thought it was a good median) but my frame rate completely collapsed, now it won't run higher than 2 or 3 FPS even with the RAM set back to the default 2048. The game's gone from an annoyance every 30 minuted to absolutely unplayable all the time, and I'm not sure what to do next. I'm running Windows 7 32bit with 4GB of RAM.
  8. Caterpiller

OH MY GOD, this **** actually works!

Great job man, from 10-20 minutes crashes to 1 or 2 crashes per day..

Someone give this guy a medal for sharing this

Make sure you set it on 4000 because I tried 3600 and it didn't help much.

Also to run CMD on admin, press on the windows menu and write down the search bar "CMD" you'll see the icon of it, right click and you have the admin option so you can use the command.

Sys spec

i5 650 3.2Ghz
    GTS 450
    Win7 32 Bit
    4 RAM
  9. Believer

Yep worked for me too on Win7x86 with 4GB, didn't work for me on the same system using WinXPx86, and now it wont crash ever whereas it would occasionally freeze on xp.

I am also running a readyboost in the remaining 0.75GB that windoze wont allocate, probably helps also.
  10. maknusdave

when you use memory from your disk, the game will be slow ( 100mb/s vs 2000mb/s ) :p
  11. Caterpiller

I don't know what you're talking about but my mid end pc runs this **** like a baws with this fix
  12. maknusdave

about ram windows
  13. Beatnu2

This workd fine for me Windows home premium 4 gig 32 bit, I set mine to 3250.
    Type Cmd in the seach bar ( appears when u clcik the start menu button)
  14. Bacon86

When I try to input your line into the CMD prompt of XP, bcdedit cannot be found.

Is your solution for Windows 7/8? Is there an alternate solution for XP?
  15. Iceni

this works with win 8 !!! i first set it to 3072, i changed it up because i use 8gb ram...

thanks...if i just read this a few weeks ago .... ;-)
  16. DumarDomar

For Win XP Google "/3GB Switch"
  17. Gkinney15

Im running windows 7 64-bit with 6GB ram and plenty of memory.

I couldnt find the directory to look up this issue in. Im sorry to ressurect an old topic, but I'd like to see if my issue can be fixed with this method.

I cannot even start up the game. The screen goes black and my mouse changes as it attempts to start but then goes to desktop with the same error message "Planetside2.exe has stopped working"

I attempted the CMD Prompt fix and set it to 6000 (Because I have 6gb of Ram) and that did not solve the fix.

I appreciate any assistance. Thank you.
  18. Skurcey

I would put "3072" to keep 1 giga for the OS
  19. ALeviathan

A cheap simple fix is to buy Windows 7 64 bit OEM. Now Windows 8 is out it's going down in price.

I have no trouble with drivers for any of my old stuff if that the reason your hanging back. Plus you hand brake your system using 32bit for further expansion to your PC.
  20. fambaa

Wont help if you only have 2 Gigs
    Either Devs fix the memory leak or people like me will just stop playing.
    Memory leaks only occur in bad programmed games where devs dont care about stability and only go after their engine. No offense but new many games that had a leak like that were forced to fix it because to many people are affected.

One should not alter any OS settings just to make a bug go away.