Fix for the crash to desktop (OutofMemory)! [Please Read]

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Meta Haze, Nov 21, 2012.

1. martyman

can you please tell me what the "default value" is?
  2. Nexeus

This method only tell the OS to limit 4GB use, but i want OS to use whatever RAM it has and give another 4GB limit to the PS2. Are there any tool to tell OS limit xx program to use xx amount of RAM?
  3. Believer

I'm going to take the plunge and try this on XP x86, because not only does PS2 crash on every single exit, but it often pops up the DEP (data execution prevention) window, which I had actually never seen before, and something tells me that that is not a window I want to see...
  4. Believer

This fix rendered my Windows nearly unusable, I can barely browse to this site and post, and starting ps2 results in an error stating my Radeon 6850 1GB is out of memory.
  5. Meta Haze

Believer, there is no reason it should have done this, and couldn't have done this. As it caps at 3072, not matter what setting you use.

If you need to revert back though, put it at 2048

Note: Data Execution Prevention is actually a setting in windows, look around properties on My Computer.
  6. Believer

The XP method suggested was to add /3GB switch to boot.ini. This apparently restricts the OS use of memory to allow programs to use mire than 2GB, if I'm understanding things correctly, in any case it didn't work for me, no harm done!

EDIT: for others trying the first example is correct, but the second is not...

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /3GB /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB

Apparently the second variant will do nothing. I can definitely vouch for the first variant doing something! :eek:
  7. ClusterBomb

It worked for me
  8. Bob1111

Totally same with you. And I used the manna of Meta Haze, but it just better, play more time, but it still crashed. And it's always happen.
  9. Markster1998

My computer has 4GB but it says only 3,25GB are available.
    do i need to use 4000 or 3250 in the CMD command?
  10. Meta Haze

Markster1998, 3000 will work just as good as 4000. :)

They are more causes of CTD out there, this is just a fix for one of them.
  11. CoDIsBetterThanThis

Bump to see if anyone says this is a terrible idea.
  12. Deathrus

13. MrUnhappy

YOU SIR ARE A GENTLEMAN AND A SCHOLAR! Bumpity!, Bump!, Bump!, Bump!
    This has rectified the issue for me, for those of you whom this fix does not work for I really feel for you guys and I hope a successful hot fix comes along A.S.A.P.

This used to crash on random occurrences between 5- 15 min of play followed by rage, more rage, logging in again whilst raging, then the cycle repeated. Yesterday I played for 2 1/2 hours of continues play, only stopped when I had to go to bed. As mentioned previously I've seen were the game attempts to crash and stutters for 1 second but it comes good and continues to supply me with that PS2 goodness. I am no longer afraid to fly, drive a tank, or deploy on the other side of the map, all thanks to you mate.

(I'm rock'in 8GB's but set it to 3000, Vista 32bit)

Once again, thank you, thank you, thank you, you very much deserve a hot cup of kudos. Cheers mate!
  14. TokyoShoe

Unfortunately this is not fixing the issue for me. Still having constant crashes to desktop with nothing but a "Planetside2.exe has stopped working".
  15. Meta Haze

Glad it worked for you MrUnhappy :)

TokyoShoe, They are other reasons for CTD also.
  16. Vidjagamer

This absolutely worked for me. I have 8gb of ram and i just set it to 5000. I used to crash every 5 mins. Just played 3 hours crash 3. My hero!
  17. BILLYTHEGUAPO

bump!,
    This works!! thanks! :D
  18. TokyoShoe

Okay, I tried this once with a setting of 3000 and it didn't work for me. Well.. just for giggles I went back and tried it again (SO many people are having their issues solved by this that I figured maybe I did something wrong?)

This second time, I used a setting of 3070 instead of 3000. My rationale for this was based upon that number (3070) being the total number of MB listed under Task Manager as "Total Physical Memory". So I redid this with a setting of 3070, rebooted my computer and wound up Planetside 2 to check. I was able to get through a full 2 hour gaming session without any random crashes to desktop, which is the longest I've ever been able to play. Usually I can only last a max of 30 minutes, so this was a four-fold improvement. Plus.. the only reason I stopped at 2 hours was because I had to go run some errands. I might have actually been able to go even longer!

I am hesitant to call it "fixed" but at present it definitely seems vastly improved. I will report back if the crashes to desktop make a return.

Thank you, Meta Haze.
  19. Meta Haze

Glad its working for many more people :)

I assure you TokyoShoe, if you can go longer than 30 mins without crashing, it won't CTD anymore, you will be able to play hours upon hours....If you wanted to, days to years lmfao
  20. Meta Haze

This wouldn't be a terrible idea, because it caps at a certain point (3072) anyways. No problems would occur :)