Fix for the crash to desktop (OutofMemory)! [Please Read]

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Meta Haze, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Meta Haze

@CHUCKmyNORRIS: This Memory Issue fix works all the way back to Windows 2000 :)

@TlrMajuub: They are currently many reasons that PS2 would crash, that's why I said to check inside the PS2 directory for an OutofMemory.txt before you do this. They are crashes related to USB, so no doubt they are software related issues also, wouldn't doubt if you do crash from that :D
    @xthe0nex: Yes. You have to type in the same exact thing I got up there, but read the cyan text.
    @Tauth: I hope you read the Yellow and Cyan text lol

and Nice to know its working for others.
  2. Niv

update: after like 2 hour of playing the game, the game is trying to crash, it freeze for like 0.2 sec but not crash and the game is carry on :).
    Meta Haze maybe the dev team need to hire u, since they didnt post this way to fix the crash for almost 4 month i play since close beta.
  3. Meta Haze

Yea, as I said it would act as if it would crash and then the game would respond back in like 1 second, but not crash. That's PS2 accessing memory, It succeeds so, the game continues.

Well..I don't know how to code, etc. All I'm here for is to help :)
    • Up x 1
  4. Kyias

My gave has been crashing when either:

1) respawning

2) 30 min of gameplay.

I met the criteria of the information of the thread but still no luck :( anyone else been experiencing similiar crashes?
  5. attilata

Same here. Tried everything, so far no results. If anyone has any suggestions, please now is the time...
  6. Meta Haze

They are many other reasons possible for the crash to desktop...anywhere from USB, to Administrator rights. Some fixes are lurking around the forum.

This is just one of the fixes, but if you do have an OutofMemory.txt in your PS2 directory after any crash. Then it is this topics issue. You have to set the number to your amount of ram on your system.
  7. Kenshin02

I saw a similar thread on a Tribes Ascend forum and this "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072" completely resolved my problem. I have Windows 7 32 bits and 4GB ram. Both Tribes and Planetside 2 kept crashing every 5~20 minutes, and now they never do anymore, it's all good. If you are having problems, it is definitely worth a try.
  8. suzuki834

i had an outofmemory doc in my games directory tried this (set to 4000 because i have 4gb of ram) and still crashed checked my directory and had a brand new out of memory doc not even a minute old

i did notice more lagg but that could be from the server issues on Connery at the moment but how do i revert the changes i made to my bcdedit
  9. xthe0nex

I didn't see any increaseuserva value after i type in bcdedit...so how i know the original value?
    • Up x 1
  10. suzuki834

i had this issue before i tried it as well
  11. Meta Haze

Suzuki, try 3000, see if it still does it. If it does do it again, set it back to 2048, usually the default for 4gb ram.

xthe0nex, as I told Suzuki, if you have 4gb ram, then the default is usually 2048, if you have 3gb its still 2048...

I also stated that this may or may not fix your issue.. All I know is that it fixed mine, and a few others.
  12. suzuki834

yea still didnt work but we don't blame you obviously it worked for some people

still ****** pisses me off thogh
  13. Mental64

That's because the maximum value 32-bit Vista, Win 7 & 8 will accept is 3072. You can enter 4096 if you want, thinking you're giving user apps 4 gigs....you're not, it will get 3 gigs, the maximum. The system needs the 1 gig.
  14. Sixpack

Wanted to check my value before tampering with the system. It seems that I get something else when typing "bcdedit" in the command prompt because I could not find the "IncreaseUserVa" anywhere. :(
  15. Meta Haze

Mental64 I meant to put 3000 instead of 4000, after I messed with it more, but the 30 minutes was already up to edit the post.

Sixpack, It is usually towards to bottom, you will have to look close for it.
  16. nightau

The limit for this command is 3072 mb by default anyway. Attempting to set it to anything higher than this will cap it at 3072, so there is no way to wreck your system if you have 4GB memory in your 32-bit machine.

For the people asking how to do this for XP machines - google "/3GB Switch" and go from there.
  17. TheClosetGeek

Yay!!!!!!

After months of crashes, and no solutions that worked, this one finally did.

I have just logged off after over two hours of continuous play without any CTDs. And I used to get them every 5-15 minutes.

Thank you sir!!! o7

I only did the increase to 3072. And for those wondering how to go back to your original settings, I found this (for Vista):

Disable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista

Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
    At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"
    Restart the computer.
  18. RE368M4K

HI guys. Good news.
    I think I found another good solution.

Don't you gus get the crash when the battle get hot or on map loading?
    I bet these are caused by a memory problem.

Anyway, this is the solution :

First, set your page file to a larger amount.
    How to: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory
    In my case, I changed it from about 5000MB to 10000MB and it completely worked.
    Reboot and try running PS2 and check if it workes.

Second, if the first solution didn't work, also try this.
    Run command prompt as Administrator.
    Type "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa xxxx".
    Now xxxx is a certain value but I'm not sure
    what this command is doing andwhat the best value is.
    Well, try "3072" or "2048" or "4096" etc.
    In my case, 3072 was best.
    Reboot and try running PS2.
    Also remember that to revert this setting,
    type "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa".

I haven't got any crash and enjoying the game after this.
    Hope these works for you guys too. Good luck!
  19. Meta Haze

RE368M4K, This is what this topic is all about...the fix is already posted on the OP.

Glad its working for others also :)
  20. martyman