Final repair tool Cert worth it?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by M4L4CH1TE, Feb 14, 2013.

1. BlakLanner

I love having the last tier unlocked. Turrets only glowing twice to repair in combat is huge if you don't want the enemy to catch on to what you are doing. It is also saves the life of a lot of MAX morons who think that they can stand right in the line of fire because they have an engineer patching them up.
  2. draiocht

It might be worth noting that they've reduced the repair rate in the last update (unless it's just me). I guess it's possible to test the different levels on the test server, but I've noticed the final tool level now just barely repairs a turret in 2 cycles. (1 full cycle previously repaired half + 3 dots or so extra margin, now half + maybe 1 dot). If there's any strange gameplay hiccup to the tool, that 2nd cycle leaves the turret at 99% and a wait for a full cooldown.
  3. LibertyRevolution

It is not worth 500certs for 2 secs of my time on the repair gun.

Only the medic gun is worth the final upgrade.
    The added range means you get the XP instead of the medic with the shorter reach.
  4. sindz

Not worth it.
  5. Athanasius

My own tests have always shown what you now see. Max repair tool = repair 12 pipes (+ghost 13th that disappears when you stop possibly) without overheat, 13 with overheat, for a turret. I'd suggest that previously you have some lag/performance issue that was somehow showing you more.
  6. TKBoom

I recently got the final repair tool upgrade. I can repair turrets in two cycles. What I do is, as soon as the last bar fills up on the overheat meter, I stop. Then when it's completely cooled down, I go again and can get it fully repaired. It does overheat on the second cycle but that's not a problem because it cools down by the time you run to the next turret.

I wish they'd increase the range on it with the higher levels like the meditool. Currently, the meditool has a 7 meter range and the repair tool seems limited to 5 meters. The last level costs the same on both but the benefits of the meditool being maxed out are MUCH greater then the repair tool.
  7. draiocht

Weird! Guess they eliminated a bug when they changed the repair tool's targeting? (It was far too reliable of an effect to be some random lag/performance error-bonus.) Anybody else notice differently?

Here's how it used to work for me, but does not anymore. (Not my video, so apparently it worked that way for at least one other person too.)

8. RealityWarrior

The higher level repair gun the more you repair per second. That means you can repair a turret in less than 2 cycles instead of waiting for that 2nd cool down then a little bit of a 3rd cycle. I would say it saves 10 - 15 seconds on a dead turret.

However that isn't the reason to get it. Repairing a max or sundy or tank while under fire so you keep it up longer or get it back into the fight sooner or repairing a gen where every second it is down means a big deal, and saving 10 seconds there can save a territory.
  9. CompletelyDeadCoyote

Got final upgrade some time ago. In my opinion: totaly worth it!
    When it comes down to repair an anti-air turret under heavy fire, an ability to make it in 2 cycles is priceless. And since then, a day without an ESF being shot in the face from a turret, that i've finished to repair a second before i'd die from rockets, is a rare day.
    Also, i spend less time repairing everything, so there's a bit more time to shoot stuff. And that brings a bit more certs. So in a long run, final grade is damn awesome.
  10. Clutchstep

I just unlocked the last tier today and it is totally worth it. I wish I'd done it sooner. After repairing a zillion turrets, MAXes, etc., you will notice that speed increase even though it's small.
  11. repairtool6

Not worth it?
    Seems to me a lot of people are confused about the more fundamental mechanics of the game.

Rep-gun (and hacking-ability): Essential.
    Everything else: Convenient.

There is no certs-line more worthwhile than the glue-gun.
    Yes, the medic-gun is also great at final level, but comparing its overall usefullness to the glue-gun is just daft.

General advice for new players
    Get rep-tool lvl2: Best possible upgrade the game can offer, get it as soon as you can
    Get rep-tool lvl3: Best possible upgrade the game can offer, get it as soon as you can
    Get rep-tool lvl4: Best possible upgrade the game can offer, get it as soon as you can
    Get rep-tool lvl5: Best possible upgrade the game can offer, get it as soon as you can
    Get rep-tool lvl6: Best possible upgrade the game can offer, get it as soon as you can
  12. Danath

Hell no, get ammo box certed first. The more range of effect the more exp. Or don't, so I keep all that exp for me, my preciousss box :p