[Guide] Falcons, Pounders, Comets, oh my.

Discussion in 'MAX' started by W0rthy, Dec 3, 2013.

1. TerryTenMen

I'm sorry but this is a laughable attempt to try and say the other weapons are on a par with comets, it really boils down to another poor forumside attempt to delay a ZOE nerf.

The falcon vid, kill about 2 infiltrators then hide behind 20 of your team mates firing off pot shots in a 1 sided battle.. ZZZZZZ

I look at the pounder video, you're doing your usual tactic of fighting with greater numbers while running in and out of a spawn room? fast forward, you can't hit an infantry dead in front of you with 8 shots and have to punch him?? what a great example of why to use pounders.

Comets with ZOE tear everything apart, if you can't see this and genuinely think pounders are on par then you are an even worse player than I originally thought. If not, good trolling.
    • Up x 2
  2. Being@RT

But Falcons have to accelerate to the velocity listed. The starting speed is 40, max 120.

Pounders at least start at the max velocity, like Comet, but of course Comet projectiles aren't effected by gravity while pounders have loads of it.
    • Up x 4
  3. FatalityCrab

Firing inside the deadzone DOES work for comets. It DOESN'T work for pounders. Wherever you test it. Take your own advice, load up VR, go shoot anything else and notice how the comet does not have the same deadzone that the pounder does. The only bug in the training range is the big splash on your screen.

How can you be br100 and play this much ZOE max and not actually understand how your own weapons work? The comet deadzone is virtually nonexistent.

Also how is sustained fire a good thing, burst fire is everything in this game, that's like people arguing the needler is the best dogfighting nosegun.

Why is it reasonable that to max out your dps with the pounder in the deadzone, you have to twitch your mouse back and forth rapidly aiming perfectly next to the target 8 times, compared to just aiming at them with the comets for a couple of seconds. If that is reasonable to you then there's probably no point in anyone posting in your threads :(
    • Up x 1
  4. Darkard

Ha, Tell me more about how "Complicated" your weaps are dude.
    Please do tell me about how Sprinting MAX's have a high skill ceiling.
    Tell me about the disadvantage being able to hit people at close range with MAX weapons and the versatility ponders have over a fracture.
    • Up x 1
  5. W0rthy

Omg.. comet has no deadzone (well, it has 1 meter deadzone).. the other two has a deadzone to balance out their strength/advantages It's like talking to a wall man.. Are you going to ask the same question in 5 minutes? Have you even read the OP?

Sometimes i wonder why i bother..
  6. Dracorean

The falcons, pounders, and comets are very good weapons. I myself prefer using falcons on my NC MAX than shotguns for mid range engagements. Though I can see why certain traits of these weapons would make them a tad unfavorable, but they are fairly easy to deal with.
  7. Paperlamp

You're posting stats about a weapon that is notoriously hard to use effectively. TTK doesn't matter if you have trouble hitting anything.

Sure, a rare few players might get good at them and do alright, that doesn't mean they're in a good place. Comets and Fractures are the most used AV weapons for a reason, they're good against both infantry and armor and easy to hit your target with.

I've used both Comets and Pounders, and hitting infantry or armor with Comets is way harder than landing enough shots with a pounder on them. Especially infantry because unlike w/Comets, if you hit someone with dual pounders they can still duck behind cover whereas with 2x comet shots and ZOE active they just die while pounder requires an extra shot. And of course vs. armor, the further away the armor the less hope you have of being effective with a pounder, and armor tends to camp a decent distance away from where it's safe to be an AV MAX. Pounder is the worst AV weapon for this reason especially, the others can actually reliably hit armor from a distance - vortex being the best for it.
  8. FatalityCrab

You've demonstrated that you don't know how your weapons work because in one post, you said that the lack of deadzone for comets is a bug that only happens in the VR range, then in the next post you explained that the lack of deadzone is intentional to balance what a bad weapon comets are otherwise.

Don't you dare refer people to your original post when you literally change the point you are making each time you post.

Also for what it's worth, you do a lot worse with the pounders than you do with the comets. You know this, I know this, as does everyone else who's read this thread. Your kills with the pounders were primarily kiting in and out of spawn with a decent number of allies around you, where I frequently see ZOE maxes running around solo or with a few randoms against higher pop. This is simply not possible with the pounders. Go fight against the odds, I dare you.
    • Up x 1
  9. Lt Andrew

The skill ceiling and floor are the only things that matter here in this disscussion.
    My observations:
    Comets are much easier to use for newer and less expierienced players than the falcons or pounders and the more expierienced players will have success with them too.

Pounders are extremely awful in the hands of newer players, but those, that have some practice with them, can be even more succesful than with comets due to the magazine size and the total amount of damage you can deal with one such mag.

Falcons are a very interesting high risk and high reward type of a weapon for even an expierienced player, but the less expierienced ones will struggle immensely to get these one (well two) hit kills. They are rather fun to use and follow the faction traits like the pounders.

So the question: Do we want the pounders and falcons to remain as very nice, but harder to learn weapons, which can in good hands beat the comets or do we want them to be easier to use, but less effective ones like the comets.

Do we want high skill floor and high skill ceiling weapons, that would scare away nubs, when they try them, or do we want lower skill floor and ceiling weapons, that would require less time to learn and get used to?

As it stands now, comets are easy to use and everyone can get used to them pretty fast thus making them more effective tha the other ES AV launchers.
    • Up x 1
  10. W0rthy

Thank you.. finally 1 guy who actually gets it!
  11. FatalityCrab

Stop lying. In the video that I made, the comets were hitting the targets correctly, just as they hit things not in the VR range. All of the hit markers worked just as they should. The only bug was that the invisible barrier made a false explosive effect on the screen.

You claimed that hitting stuff in the deadzone was a bug because sometimes it works with the other weapons, which clearly DO have deadzones.

Nobody uses lockdown because against anyone who has the slightest idea how to play, you will get rocketed or c4d the moment you are spotted. Posting anecdotal videos in zerged areas using spawn rooms as cover and sometimes killing 1 infantry at a time or a lowbie max means nothing Balance is decided by high level play, not low level play. You should know this. If someone who is good at this game sees a deployed TR max, they KNOW how to beat it. They also don't die to it unless they choose to.

It's probably possible to run around daytime ps2 and knife players, doesn't mean it's viable or sensible. Play against good players, not random lowbies who instant action into biolabs. Daytime ps2 players are really bad and everybody knows it.
    • Up x 1
  12. TerryTenMen

Comets are better in the hands of new players & high skill players. The reason is for this is simple, they are better than the other 2. Combine it with ZOE and the difference is even greater.

OP has me on ignore as he get's a bit upset when he is proven wrong / killed in game so he wont reply, it falls to you. Pounders dont really have a high skill ceiling, just bad mechanics.
    • Up x 2
  13. Shellana

I think there is one thing you are missing in your analysis. How these weapons combine with other weapon options.

I have dual comets, but I have found myself going back to the default comet/quasar combo because it is a very good combination. Here is the more important thing, the quasar combo works where the Cycler/Pounder combo simply is not very usuable. The pounder fires in and arc, the cycler does not. I know the first thing I did on my TR MAX was grab the cheapest right hand AI weapon I could get. I think the Scattercannon/Falcon combo has similar issues. A shotgun(CQC weapon) combined with a weapon that hardest to use at close range.

You may be right that the pounder/falcon are good high skill cap weapons, but that makes a very strong argument for making them NOT the default starting MAX weapons. Pounders/Falcons are only good if you have 2 of them, and they don't play well with the other faction weapons.
  14. W0rthy

Everyone should read this reply, this is a great summary of the thread, and this guy actually gets it! This is assymetric balance in action. And personally i want pounder and falcon to remain the same because i REALLY enjoy using them!
  15. Paperlamp

How about VS gets pounders, TR and NC get Comets. Then you can use pounders on your main all the time. :)
    • Up x 1
  16. Mxiter

I agree to be your "pet" medic. :D
    Then let's fight against DORA (or any other) VS max spam.
    We'll see if pounders are as competitive as you said.
  17. DG-MOD-02

I have cleaned this page from the violations that were posted on it. I would suggest that those that had posts removed, read through the SOE Forum Guidelines in order to avoid this from happening again. Thank you!
  18. Takoita

Whoo-boy, quite a nice bait you've got there, OP! How much time and effort did it take ya?

Don't answer, I already know which part of the continent I'm gonna earn my MAX weaponry medals anyway.

To the poor sods that have to sift through this because it's their job:

Pounder is bad.

The only practical way to use the thing in a proper outdoors fight with armor, air and boatloads of infantry in its AV role is to stuff your Sunderer with a bunch of MAXes (at least four, preferably as much as you can carry), roll up to the enemy sunderer/tank, disgorge all the passengers and fire all at once. Which is much easier and cheaper to do if you swap out all the MAXes with HA rocketlaunchers/Engineer mines/everybody's C4.

Alternatively, get all those people on cliff/building above the target and repeat the above. Which is, again, much easier and cheaper to do with pretty much everything that is not a Pounder MAX.

Terrible hit detection and smoke trails that obscure your view of the target make any kind of non-ambush tactics ineffective at best, graciously gifting your enemies with certs at worst. Guess guess how a MAX can sneak up on enemy armor outdoors? Very poorly in the absolute majority of cases. And being able to lay down a continuous stream of fire is worth exactly squat when all you get is a swift Titan AP shell to the face the moment you announce your position. "Close range" + "designed for sustained fire, with low burst" in MAX AV does not work in this game.

The less said about hitting squishies and other MAXes indoors, the better. Do you know why Fracture sees so much use despite a much higher price and (seemingly) lower damage per hit? Because it hits where you point your aiming dot of a crosshair without a whole reloads' worth of ammo desintegrating in Nanite limbo somewhere along the way. And has a much longer effective range to boot.

When players say that purchasing Pounder needs to add certs to your character, not substract them, they aren't really joking.

In short, Pounder needs fixing. It may just turn out to be a viable weapon if it actually did what it was supposed to. Remake it into an AI grenade launcher if you need to differentiate it from Fracture more, just make it something more than a humiliation tool.

Falcon did not have any single reason to suffer through the change it did. Like Pounder, the thing needed a better crosshair and a different projectile trail. That's it.

If I am wrong about this, I would very much like to hear from the dev team what motivated the change.
  19. Pikachu

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  20. neoNEO

This thread is very interesting, Falcons + Aegis shield + skilled player (that knows how to bypass the deadzone) doesnt stay behind ZOE with comets on the live server. But the thing is they will all get a huge nerf. Go to the test server and see by yourself. Falcons convergence will disappear and the Falcon projectile starts falling alot after 25 meters, no more 1 shotting infantry when the Falcons converge at 20 meters. Comets will have a deadzone from 0m to 10m like Falcon have now, and you will need 4 comets shots WITH Zoe level 5 to kill a infantry, and Fractures will be nerfed to the useless AV against AI of the entire game, it will have a deadzone till 30 meters, and they reduced the damage, you need like 6 shots to kill infantry, even me as an NC i don't think they needed to nerf the Fractures so bad lol.

This guide is very interesting till they apply the changes from the test server to the live server. The question is, will they apply?
    • Up x 1