Failure of anti-cheat measures and loss of trust

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jingstealer, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Jingstealer

I have recently noticed a sharp incline in people who seem to be able to perform 'extraordinarily' well. Several times when running in squads or running them, people issues sentences like: "I just don't seem to be able to tell anymore whether a person is simply better than me or hacking". I heard several comments along those lines.

This indicates a fundamental loss of trust in the game's ability to protect players from cheating. I did some research to find out for myself if a new cheating software had changed the game or something, it took literally ONE google search to arrive at the following video:

In the video a cheater runs around and hacks his head off, unchallenged by any cheat-protection measures. The video description suggests that this cheat is sold and easy to obtain.

Naturally people who play the game for a while get a very good feeling for who is hacking and who is not, but the advanced configuration options showcased for the bot are designed to throw that feeling off as well, blurring the lines. The most destructive output of this is not some spotty **** padding his stats. It's the profound loss of trust created by this. I can only imagine how many /reports you must be getting and how difficult it must be to sieve through the reports. In this climate of distrust, everybody can be the target of hackusations, but it is otoh also extremely easy to dismiss them, because (as the video shows) the consequences for hacking are virtually non-existent.

I urge the development team to take this bad trend very serious. Perhaps you can enlist the help of professional anti-cheat frameworks, such as PunkBuster. In addition you should rack up the punishment for cheating. Ban people who hack forever, no question asked. And ban them for all Daybreak titles at the same time. Perhaps there is a global blacklist you can add those credit card numbers or paypal accounts to?

You may be inclined to think about your short-term gains, which means you ban them for a week or two (which amounts to nothing) and let them back in. But in the long run you're doing yourself a great disservice. And of course the player community.
    • Up x 2
  2. Skraggz

Video uploaded in 2013.
    • Up x 5
  3. Eternaloptimist

PS2 uses BattleEye, which identified and reports blah, blah....technical stuff.......... but the actual action against players is done by DBG so there could be an interval between report and ban.

I would not be surprised if there were still cheats, nor would it surprise me to find out the DBG was catching a lot of them and banning them. But it is a F2P game so cheaters can just keep coming back with new accounts, no loss of subscription etc.

There are also things in the game that look like cheats but aren't e.g. when servers are a bit flaky. Just now I've had guys disappear as I shoot them and then pop back, also guys who seem to kill me with one shot from an auto weapon. But I have learned from reading other posts that there is a technical reason why this can happen that is nothing to do with cheating.
  4. tommyrocket

That's what I thought for a while, too, (was true once upon a time before Battleye) but apparently...

"Posting here won't get anything done because the devs and I do not have the ability to directly ban anyone in-game. Seriously. That's what our CS department does, and if you provide them with an appropriate report they will be more than happy to assist you."

Quoted from Roxxly. (Community Relations guy for forums here)

That aside, some stuff does get through, that's true. The main problem these days is that people are too afraid to risk their "humble demeanor", rather than questioning things.
  5. FateJH

Why, it is the AimJunkies video. What vicious nostalgia!
  6. ObiVanuKenobi

Video is 4 years old, guaranteed to not work anymore, Planetside 2 is no longer on their list of supported games.
    https://forum.aimjunkies.com/hackstatus.php
    Punkbuster isn't any better than Battleye which we currently have.
  7. breeje

i just looked up aimjunkies and there is no PS2 hack available
    it looks like DBG did there job and countered most of these sites
    someone got there azz kicked and now blames hacks cause it's impossible that all these players are better
  8. The Rogue Wolf

Guess what, OP: Pretty much every multiplayer game has cheats. CS:GO has cheats. PUBG has cheats. BF1 has cheats. Maybe you can perform the exhaustive investigative technique of "one Google search" to find out about those, too.
  9. NellyG

All admin has to do is look at the players stats and the complaints against those cheaters. A few examples are TR Recursion, Iron Wolves, and Federal Express. I mostly play VS but also have seen VS players with KDs of 5.0 or higher which raises a red flag. @ Jingstealer you're right about players who have played this game for many years like myself, I can tell by the movements and firing of individual weapons that person is cheating. I also have MSI Afterburner recording the game especially when I see well known hackers like TR Recursion playing in a battle.
    I've posted video in this forum before, but had them removed... I'm guessing some of those losers got banned because of that.
    Doesn't really matter because those same "losers at life" probably come back as another character anyway. Seems there will always be cheaters in games.
  10. AuraBliss

ya I starting to lose interest in planetside 2 Seems the modding cheaters are still pretty high.. Had a few people today even spot me while hiding in side a building while using stalker cloak.. So its kinda hard to explain that one.. when you are cloaked... No one else was with me it was just me and few other enemies spotting me while cloaked.... Sooo ya.. They also seemed to have high hit rate because they always took me down very fast like I was a bloated whale so I am guessing they found a way to get hit boxes increased again. Can tell you one thing didn't go down without a fight took some of them down but a normal player can only do so much they even blamed me for being a cheater.....damn irony anymore.
    • Up x 1
  11. strikearrow

Just yesterday on Connery I, as a stalker infiltrator, ambushed a guy at the vehicle terminal from 10m away, then I immediately re-cloak and run 500m off to a small hill in a different hex. He then respawns and runs straight to me where he stops right in front of me and kills me. I never uncloaked (i had to stop and wait to recharge the cloak a couple times) until he was right in front of me in knife range and after he opened fire. I have seen these hacks on youtube, but had no idea they still exist.
  12. ObiVanuKenobi

Stalker cloak doesn't make you 100% invisible. Looking around makes your head more visible, any kind of movement makes you very easy to see. Motion spotters, recon darts, scout radars on vehicles and so on can show you on the minimap if you move.
  13. PlanetBound

Might have been a radar Valk revealing you. Seems like running while cloaked is the same as no cloak.
  14. strikearrow

In the hex I killed him there was nobody else, just me and him. I ran to a hex where there were a few more friendlies, but no more enemies.
  15. AuraBliss

Ya but when there was no valk nor was I moving I was totally standing still since well thats what stalker cloak is good for no ? They plan spotted me first heard them say it.. Then a recon dart was oddly fired in my location.. I was ghost capping so no one was there before I started it and was hiding in a near by building 0 chance for them to know exactly where I was when the pop was 0 it was a small group of people all under the outfit tag infinity symbol. I have played the game long enough to know how stalker cloak works. but as stated I did manage to kill some of them even though they still knew where I was.. also pro tip you can't spot people while they are under cloaked so explain how they where capable of spotting me while still cloaked you can't even spot with motion or recon dart you have to be uncloaked for them to spot even while using the flash light you have to wait till the infiltrator uncloaks.
  16. FateJH

There's actually a few bugs involving some Implants that cause cloaked figures to be more visible or retain spotting doritos, even longer than normal. It's often encountered using Wraith Module but it rarely reveal just a normal cloaked Infiltrator. Personally, I've not gone over the combinations since patch since I don't use implants myself, but you should keep it in mind.
  17. DemonicTreerat

Yep, that sounds like the typical ESP/ wall/ radar hack. You see pictures of them all the time - basically they draw a wire frame or in some manner show were every player within a certain range of the cheater is through terrain, walls, invisibility, etc. And sadly they can't be stopped due to how online games handle information about other players. Basically every one of our computers has the same information as the main server but most of it is locked behind a flag that tells the game "do not show/ read this". Wall hacks and their ilk basically ignore that flag and process the information anyway. Truly stopping such requires moving that information back to the server, carrying out the relevant processing, then sending it to the respective clients every milisecond.

And while other games have cheaters, not everyone has the same degree. The difference is that some games - Asian MMOs for example - pretty much ignore all cheating, which leads to a "cheat or be fodder" situation while others take extreme measures to stifle cheating. The problem is that such measures require a way to attach something to a specific player (in the past it was the name on a credit or debit card or a static IP), an ongoing investment in staff (and aside from a few like Blizzard most publishers on MMO's are only interested in quick cash not long term profit), and a combination of mechanics that remove some of the reasons to cheat (ex. WoW's first expansion basically killing off the need to buy gold) and a player base that won't tolerate cheaters even when they benefit from it.

In other words all the things that today are considered "obsolete" and get a game ignored by press and public.
    • Up x 1