Extended Magazine for Assault Rifles+Carbines+More(Read)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NeonSonic, Feb 12, 2018.

1. NeonSonic

What do you guys(Devs/Players) think of having extended magazines for assault rifles and carbines? Lets say, extended magazine option where laser/forward grip goes. It could be +20 rounds maybe it can give the weapons a Drum magazine(TR/NC) or different looking battery(VS)

Also what about giving Combat Medics access to carbines and Engineer / Light Assault access to Assault Rifles? This would round out these classes a little better for example they are more like the old agile exo suit of the old game where as infiltrator is still infil suit but with upgrades (obviously) and heavy assault is the new Reinforced Exo-Suit i figured the agile suits need more benefits at range/close quarters to be more well rounded to use instead of just used mainly for support roles u can choose a beefier gun for engineer for example say Corvus(VS) A-Tross(NC) SABR(TR) high caliber/energy weapons. Or for Combat Medic maybe u want a good Close Quarters automatic weapon so u could choose the 845rpm carbine(s) for the combat medic example serpent(VS) with extended mag 50 rounds total good for close range support with ammo belt/nanoweave.

Also, Maybe having 2 suit slots would be interesting - example 1 for defense 1 for offense 1.
    say for defense slot slot it could have nanoweave armor, advanced shield capacitor, Flak Armor, Adrenaline pump. For offense slot ammo belt / grenade bandolier / munitions pouch. You could choose 1 of each in 2 slots as opposed to just 1 out of all in 1 slot. Might make the game more interesting like the old planetside 1 where players had more customization over their loadouts, what do you guys think?

Also 3rd implant slot like the old planetside 1. =)
  2. Eternaloptimist

ARs are quite possibly the best primary weapons in the infantry game. I cannot imagine, when I play medic, that I would want a carbine instead. On the flip side, Giving ARs to LAs combined with their mobility (and engies with their infinite ammo) sounds OP.

Personally, I would love to carry a 'nade bandolier plus my nanoweave but I think removing the need to make a choice and live with it kind of dumbs things down.

Adding the option of extended mags for the price of foregoing another attachment is not a bad idea imho.
    • Up x 1
  3. DarkStarAnubis

As much as I would love 50-60 rounds on my Corvus or Reaper DMR such weapons considering their precision and damage model would be borderline OP...
    • Up x 2
  4. Halkesh

Unless DGB increase the TTK to a ridiculous value, I don't see the point to have 50 bullet in your AR / Carbine.
    I like your idea for the 2nd suit slot and 3rd implant.
    Since devs nerfed AR hipfire and minimum damage, buffed carbine flying hipfire and VS carbine bloom per shot, I can't see how AR could be far better than carbine, can you explain me why you think so ?
  5. Eternaloptimist

ARs have better long range damage, low recoil and low bloom IIRC
    • Up x 1
  6. Oleker2

Extended magazines on this game will gave you 6~8 rounds at maximum... And getting that on some AR's and Carabines would be borderline OP, specialy with your 20 rouns sugestion.
    • Up x 1
  7. NeonSonic

Ok Ok fair enough on feedback thus far so with that said what if devs (if they do, more feedback would be nice too) just did 2nd suit slot and third implant what do more people think of that?

Personally I thought it would be a good idea based on how planetside 1 was made - since you had more customization over your loadouts inventory. Also PlanetSide 1 had 3 implant slots as well and having this in the 2nd wouldnt make the game overpowered in any way especially how the current implants are, it would just give you more versatility on the battlefield which would be nice like the first game.

Also it would make sense to have 2 suit slots from a soldier's standpoint as well, you have your body armor and you have your choice of ammo in this case to choose from magazines or grenades or munitions for 'offense' suit slot (couldnt think of a better name for now) or flak armor or nanoweave armor or advanced shields or an adrenaline pump for 'defense' slot.

More thoughts on this?
  8. Daigons

Your squad doesn't have a Engineer in it to toss out an ammo pack?
  9. Prudentia

never not run ammo printer :p
  10. LordKrelas

You have 1 suit slot - if you had two, that's two items designed to be used by themselves not paired up.

A 3rd implant slot would allow your two primaries, and a third to amplify -- which could be massively potent in comparison.
    An example being Ammo-Printer, Regeneration, EUD.
    That's anti-mine, Auto-ammo, auto-healing - and that's a tame one.

Grenades are not in suit slots.
    Magazines are also not in suit slots.
    Suit slots include extra-grenade capacity, Flak armor, Nanoweave, Adrenalin pump.

None of these were designed to be stacked together.
    A heavy could pack Flak-Armor, Extra Munitions.. and then with your 3 implants, that's Sensor Shield, Ammo Printer, Regeneration.
    Or infils with Nanoweave and Adrenalin Pump, paired with Sensor-Shield, Catlike, and Vampire.

Not to mention, if Nanoweave & Flak armor could be used at the same time.

Just heavily open to abuse.
  11. NeonSonic

You missed my point im refering to suit slot items. Also this wouldnt be abusive or overpowered since its things already in the game you would just have bigger/better more rounded/realistic soldiers. They would still go down fast since this is an fps game you would just have more flexibility / versatility on the field since you would be a more rounded soldier examples below.

Example: Nanoweave Armor (Defense suit slot) Ammunition Belt (Offense suit slot)
    Example: Flak Armor (Defense suit slot) Grenade Bandolier (Offense suit slot)
    Example: Flak Armor (Defense suit slot) Munitions Pouch (Offense suit slot)
    Example: Adv shield Capacitor (Defense suit slot) Ammunition Belt (offense suit slot)

this is how the items would be designated the class the items could be in: Defense Suit Slot items: Adv Shield Capacitor, Nanoweave Armor, Flak Armor, Adrenaline Pump.

Offense suit slot items: Ammunition Belt, Grenade Bandolier, Munitions Pouch.

Also this is an FPS game it wouldnt make it OP at all - and ive been playing FPS since 2000 so I know what im talking about. Thats 18 years! Also the first planetside back in 2003 the day it came out may something.
  12. LordKrelas

A more realistic solider.
    Okay, where in hell is this solider packing 5 grenades, a Rocket Launcher, an LMG, a Pistol the size of an LMG, and enough ammo for both to level a building, while running full sprint?

Not a single slot item was designed around being carried in pairs.
    A Nanoweave Infil with the anti-flicker, is bloody well off.
    A Knife-wielder with Nanoweave & Adrenalin Pump is pretty severe - and thankfully noticed to be OP.
    The downside if any, of select slots being completely erased, or their strengths enhanced by another slot becomes a thing.

Tankers do not need an Ammo-printer, flak-armored heavy that also packs the most ammo possible, while sporting 2 additional implants that take their fancy.

Yes, obviously Doom & Mass Effect being FPS, are identical in capabilities of their users, and totally the same as every battlefield game, with their identical advantages & disadvantage systems, since all are FPS games...
    See the sarcasm?
    It can be OP, as FPS does not mean, Nothing built for singular use, used in pairs, can be over-powering all other options.

Not a single slot item was designed to be available at the same time as another.
    Implants were redesigned around two of them - which makes the selection easily a required set.
    Three would be pushing it: You'd have the meta selection, and an enhancements.

Implant sets that are already potent as hell in groups, would have a spare implant to further enhance the power.
    Carapace Medic, with two extra Implant slots, and 2 Suit slots, for Luls... so.
    Faster Recharge, Nanoweave, and Additional Revive grenades, and still 2 Implant slots to work with.

Tell me how Implants of PS1, with their Energy bar system, and linked to BR's, is identical to Always-on, no power-bar PS2 Implants that are tied to RNG loot boxes.
    And how implants designed around energy costs, work identical to implants that are designed in Pairs only without a cost..
    Same with Suit Slots: You pick Nanoweave, Flak-armor, or extra grenades..
    If you had two, everyone would pick Nanoweave \ Flak-Armor & their select pic of Extra ****.

You'd basically make nanoweave default, while amplifying the ease of grenade spam for No cost.

• Up x 1
  13. MuggieWara

NO at everything u said.Its mind boggling how you(and you re not the first) consider "freedom of choice" being able to equip everything you want to on a loadout without any kind of compromise.

Thank god your kind is not developing our games.
  14. Halkesh

The only way I see to give more choice for suit slot is to remove nanoweave and flak and keep the one suit slot option.
    Done, now you have choices that are far more balanced eachother.
    If you really want a 2 suit slot, I think it should be optionnal, at the cost of item or grenade slot, or both.

For the implant part, I think about something like this :
    Energy come back, but without batterie system. Energy come out of nowhere, just like nanites
    You can have up to 3-4 implant at the same time but you'll run short on energy soon. If both continent population are equal, you can run 2 implants without losing energy.
    If you have the lowest population you get more energy and you may even run 3 implant constantly.
  15. NeonSonic

16. LordKrelas

You can't quote for ****.

4 grenades per person, easily spammed, while letting said person also use nanoweave.
    So they gain greatly, and have to sacrifice nothing for additional Easy firepower.
    As well, outside of the grenade spam of days, which you allow, Flak-armor is only useful against vehicles.
    So your buddy who equips grenade spam, has a nanoweave-less target softened by 4 grenades into every room, to easily kill, while sporting Nanoweave themselves.
    Explosive spam is a *****.

Constructive feedback: They aren't built to be used.
    Grenades are meant to be singular, and only when You sacrifice durability, do you gain these nanite-based AOE weapons.
    It is not a very nice situation, where everyone can literally hurl enough grenades to kill a room of people with Flak even..
    While also sporting full nanoweave at the same time.

I mention you can't wear them at once - As it's obviously OP, and you finally noticed.
    That's one example, of Why these things are not designed, and shouldn't be used in Pairs.

Planetside 1 had entirely different implants, that all shared the Stamina bar for a power supply.
    PS2 does not have them tied together, does not have an energy system anymore, and has entirely different implants.
    Just like in PS1, the ESFs were not ES -- And each ESF was a type of fighter, not a universal fighter.
    Different bloody game, different bloody things.

Realism isn't why it is "easier" to kill in Ps2, over Ps1
    1 more implant, means 1 more implant that has no limitations, no energy system, and one more enhancement to those who got lucky with the RNG boxes.
    Removing the specialty "cost" of using a set of implants - There is barely any combo of two, where the third isn't just a bonus.

Yeah as obviously, allowing everyone to throw 4 grenades, and increase their effective health against either Bullets or explosives, while packing Ammo-Printer, Regeneration, and whatever add-on they wish to add..
    Isn't going to be "Grenade spam meta" enhanced by the Required Nanoweave or Flak-armor.
    Since you can pack Flak armor, or Nanoweave, with any extra slot nearly, without losing durability for that new advantage.

Why do you think, that Vehicles, let alone infantry slots already have critical sets that are more potent than any other..
    And that is with singular selection.
    Implant sets with two implants, already provide the best results - over all others, for their roles.
    A third, adds extra bonuses to any playstyle.

Carapace Medics, Packing extra grenades, Packing Nanoweave, Packing SensorShield, Packing Ammo-Printer.
    That's 4 Revive grenades, on a harder-to-kill medic, able to regenerate their entire two health bars - revives at 2 health bars, no ability to be detected by sensors (hell could pull EUD, or the auto-revive implant instead), with automatic ammunition replenish.

That's infinitely better than a Medic, that used 1 slot, or 2 implants.
    That's a brutally hard to kill group - And puts in the full advantage of two maxed slots, enhanced by 3 implant abilities.

It would not work well, for anyone not using the sets.
    It would make groups even more murderous, if not using the exact same set of equipment.
  17. NeonSonic

Stop looking at equipment, this game is easy. Ive been playing medic alot more on emerald, and there is rarely any nade spam there, u should try playing on that server, and i recommend VS faction.
  18. LordKrelas

Stop looking at the Equipment? So that I don't see the effects of that equipment being multiplied? We going there?
    This rifle, with damage buffed by 500 would be fine - stop looking at the practical result, look at the fun possible!

Extra grenades while also gaining more effective health is murderously bad for practical fights.
    Any interior battle, becomes a grenade-spam hell, while everyone who isn't packing the new meta set is screwed.

You do realize, that anyone bright will be packing 4+ grenades, and nanoweave, if your suggestion is accepted right?
    Even Emerald, will start using grenades if they aren't (who the **** doesn't use grenades..)
    Since you can pack 4+ easy damage or instant revives, and still gain the higher effective health.

The downside to picking grenade bandolier, is the lack of Nanoweave or Flak Armor
    - You exchange durability for additional Explosives.

As well, Stop putting your post inside Quotes.
    Like dear lord.

Grenades are "easy to dodge", Not in interiors.
    And not when someone bright is using them - not to mention, when there is 4 at once per person.
    Volume decreases the ability to "dodge" the essentially risk free AOE damage blast - they cost nanites for a reason.

1 more implant with these implants makes a difference.
    PS1's Implants , if there was 5 or 17, would also have a difference -- they were built entirely differently and not for that number.

Go face a intelligent Medic with Carapace, Nanoweave, and Regeneration.
    Now face a Heavy & medic both with it.

Now add onto this, Extra Revive Grenades, Nanoweave, and Self-revive.
    Then go play against someone who actually uses Explosive Grenades, and wonder why you want to increase their health.

Fun does not mean, every solider can throw 4 grenades for easy damage, instead of 1 grenade, while still sporting the required nanoweave.
    Nor that every possible advantage to be gained from implants, to be fully available at the same time.

Let alone that neither Suit slots, nor implants were designed to be used with extra slots.
    Every FPS is different, in their set-ups - they do not use "one-size fits all" with their mechanics.

A tank from Battlefield, will not work in PS2.
    A PS1 tank, would not even fit in PS2.

The entire way infantry combat works in Ps1, uses an entirely different set-up of weapons, ranges, gear, and has every action tied to stamina, including the implant system -- which is completely different in design in PS2.

It's akin to trying to put an Airplane's engine into a Car, without any consideration for the differences: Ends badly.
    And then putting Jet fuel into a Diesel's fuel tank. Ends even worse.

Ps1's VS Maxes could fly.
    Ps1's Maxes had entirely different safeguards, blocks, and more - In PS2, that flight would be OP.
    In Ps1, it was not.

19. Luicanus

The ARs for LA's wouldn't be so bad, thecarbines get a bonus when they're airborne as it treats it the same as walking.
  20. FateJH

Do you mean the Carbine bonus?
    • Up x 1