Expecting disaster, I trialed the striker today...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CorporalClegg, Jul 15, 2014.

1. CorporalClegg

...it did not go as expected. I actually wanted more time with the weapon and was really impressed with its power. ("He must be an NC troll" you say). It had some impressive results especially on open battlefields like those found on every continent except Hossin mainly due to its stupidly high damage.

The striker has the highest DPS of any rocket launcher beating out the dumbfires by a little bit but considering it can be shot from vastly further away (400m), I think its a fair trade off. It certainly dumps its 5 rockets off pretty quick after you get a lock.

Granted it has its downsides
    -Worthless against MAX
    -Requires exposure
    -Requires LoS
    -Can be rendered moot by countermeasures (flares, IR smoke)

But its counterparts, the Phoenix and Lancer, are also pretty bad against MAX's (although granted, they fair better than the striker). And let's face it, the striker does far more sustained damage than both of these launchers. It needs to have downsides.

I think the striker forumside witch-hunt needs to be toned down a bit. Its not useless (trial the Cannister if you want useless) and doesn't need a large buff if any.

EDIT: Crappy research on my part... The decimator does out DPS the striker but not by that large of a margin and its still much more range limited. The pheonix and the lancer dont even compare on damage output

EDIT2: Outdated information
    • Up x 3
  2. Tommyp2006

It's lock on range is around 400m, might be 450m vs air, can't remember exactly, but it's not even CLOSE to 800m.
    • Up x 6
  3. CorporalClegg

My mistake, the wiki information was outdated
  4. Jachim

This is such a laughably one sided post. The Striker was rendered useless long ago and is now the worst of the three by a long shot. Plus it's utterly boring to boot!
    • Up x 8
  5. Jachim

So basically you didn't do this at all and are lying that you even tried using it.
    • Up x 4
  6. CorporalClegg

I mean I didn't use the rangefinder implant if that's what you mean. No... What are you talking about? I had the outdated range stats in the OP and corrected it.
    • Up x 5
  7. Taemien

This was the witch hunt the OP was talking about. Explain to me how far away a ESF is on your screen? The OP can't tell by a glance and neither can you. And if you can, you're hacking and should flush yourself down a toilet.
    • Up x 4
  8. MetalGrave

you forgot it can be out run and can't fire on turrets mana or phalanx. also if the target gets too close you will lose lock.
    • Up x 4
  9. Maljas23

Lancer bad against Maxes? ******** man.

The Striker is medicore at it's very best atm. Most with more than a trial run of experience with it, will agree.
    • Up x 1
  10. JP_Russell

Just to clarify, the Striker has a 400 meter lock range against air, while other lock-ons have a 450 meter lock range against them. Its ground lock range is the same as other lock-ons, 300 meters.
  11. DK22

Yep, still the best, as long as you get all 5 hits thou, then your doing more damage than the other RL's.
    good thing I don't care about my KD, cuz you can't always do it.
  12. xWarMachine

DPS for the striker is arguably worse than the annihilator.

1. You must hit all shots on target. This is rarely done unless you are targeting an idiot.
    2. You must keep your lock for the duration until your rockets hit target. This means when you have already re-loaded your second round on the annihilator you'll barely start to reload your striker.

DPS means jack **** when talking about the striker. Many things look great in theory but fail in practical usage.

Check my stats, I have plenty of time with the striker and annihilator. After the nerf to the striker I have never used it again. The striker is completely useless and I wish I could have my SC back...

10/10 troll post for getting me to reply.
    • Up x 11
  13. LIKE A BOSS!

I reported you ingame for being mean to my PPA.
    • Up x 2
  14. Fenrisk

I own All TR Rocket launchers and I NEVER use the striker anymore as it's complete and utter ****!

You have to maintain lock for all rockets.
    You can't reload till after the last rocket hits.
    Has the lowest DPS of all rocket launchers when you factor in reload time+having to wait for rocket.
    Is counted by flying towards any object.
    Is countered by smoke.
    In countered by flares.
    As soon as first weak rocket hits target has plenty of time to dodge the rest.

Grounder and Annilator lock on launchers are BETTER then it in DPS and range.

Strikers lock on range is 300m which is pure CRAP vs air.

Higby nerfed the striker into the ground over a year ago and hes not done anything to fix it. If the striker was a NC weapon he would of fixed it a year ago.

The Phoenix is by far the most used rocket launcher while the striker is the least used. When you face NC you get Phoenix spam in massive amounts. Face TR and you get nothing but dumb fired dev rockets or the occasional annilator. Striker is dead DELETE it from the game and give TR their certs/money back for dev biased balancing.
    • Up x 8
  15. Bape

Weird because im pretty sure my sunderers keep getting shot down by a swarm of striker users I must be just seeing red all the time.
    • Up x 2
  16. Maelthra

Striker OP, pls nerf.
  17. FieldMarshall

Its a glorified Anni. May aswell use the Grounder and be better off.
    +Can damage MAXes. (and infantry). Complete with sights that are arguably better than the ironsights.
    +Doesent have to maintain lock. aka sniperbait. aka deathsentence. aka worse than the charge up mechanic.
    +DPS. Because it reloads as soon as you fired off your first shot. Striker doesent even reload after the last shot.
    -Ground lock.

I agree that the Peenix and Lansor isnt exactly amazing weapons either, but atleast they're not replicas of default launchers =[
    As TR you have 2 options. Lockon or dumbfire. As VS and NC you get the added options that the Lancer/Phoenix brings.
    (Im not saying they should do this, but) If they removed the Anni from the game, then the TR would have something unique.

They should rework the entire Striker into something different.
    Like a TOW guided launcher, or Hyena-styled launcher, or even a flak launcher (Flak was TRs thing in PS1)
    • Up x 1
  18. MetalGrave

simplest change would be to make it dumb fire with a select fire mode. Semi-auto acts like a bolt action rifle, then rapid dumb fire (faction trait). switching to this mode will give the weapon a cone of fire, with in a certain range all rockets would hit ( relatively close). a dmg reduction down to say 150 each with a faster reload?
  19. SteamBoiler

In on striker thread

I use this thing alot, only because I get the illusion that I'm wielding a unique faction specific RL.

Sadly, it is just another lock on... This thing needs a rework to make it more fun to use, don't care if it's a piece of crap, I just want a fun toy to play with, like the phoenix or lancer.
  20. CEGrif

fracs maybe