[Suggestion] ESRL Rebalance.

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by TheKhopesh, Apr 6, 2014.

1. BeyondNInja

imo the Phoenix is in a good place damage and reload wise, however it does need some quality of life tweaks.

I like the fact that its basically a hybrid between the Deci and an AV lockon, but its mechanics can be super frustrating due to
    a) range being incredibly inconsistent (varies between 250-290m)
    b) sensitivity feeling terrible (idk what it is but it feels like piloting a galaxy while drunk)
    c) velocity being too slow after 200m so kills get stolen and drifting gals/libs escape
    d) FoV being too zoomed in so hoverpodders only have to move slightly at the last second to disorient the user into missing
    e) hitbox being way too big so it self-destructs in proximity to terrain, spawn-shields and door frames
    f) the character automatically uncrouching after firing a rocket while crouched in cover
    g) having a more or less 50-50 chance of going through enemy MAXes within 50m, dealing no damage
    • Up x 2
  2. BeyondNInja

imo the Phoenix is in a good place damage and reload wise, however it does need some quality of life tweaks.

I like the fact that its basically a hybrid between the Deci and an AV lockon, but its mechanics can be super frustrating due to
    b) sensitivity feeling terrible (idk what it is but it feels like piloting a galaxy while drunk)
    c) velocity being too slow after 200m so kills get stolen and drifting gals/libs escape
    d) FoV being too zoomed in so hoverpodders only have to move slightly at the last second to disorient the user into missing
    e) hitbox being way too big so it self-destructs in proximity to terrain, spawn-shields and door frames
    f) the character automatically uncrouching after firing a rocket while crouched in cover
    g) having a more or less 50-50 chance of going through enemy MAXes within 50m, dealing no damage
  3. Adeon

Don't touch Lancer.
  4. TheKhopesh

If the Phoenix missile had an ESF's afterburner, it would reduce the overall flight time from up to 7.5 seconds to about 2-3 seconds, it wouldn't entirely solve the issue of flight time upping from a 4.7 second reload, but it would reduce the time (from 4.7 reload + 7.5 flight time equaling ~12.2 total time, to 4.7 reload + 2-3 flight time equaling around 6.7 or 7.7 total time).

It's not a perfect fix, but it would make the issue more managable.

This would also work well with an increase to maneuverability.

When you're burning the afterburner, an ESF's maneuverability drops considerably due to the increase in speed.
    So if the Phoenix got a maneuverability more akin to what an actual camera guided rocket has (Guided rockets being tiny, small, and fairly agile pieces of equipment), it's maneuverability would also be lower (About what it is now, if not slightly less) when burning the afterburner, this would make it easier to predict for the guy trying to shoot it down, and more challenging for the NC behind the camera.

But, it's a upside and downside for both.

The NC have a much needed option for the Phoenix, with a higher skill cap (It would be easier to over-compensate, but would allow those who are good with it to utilize it better), and the guys trying to take it down have a far more predictable flight path when it goes to use the afterburner.
    If it doesn't use the burner, it will be far slower, again, making it easier to hit for the target.

The Phoenix is something you only need a single bullet to knock down.
    All it takes is one infantry (Provided that infantryman can hit the broad side of a barn with a fully automatic weapon) and it's down.
    And that's how you're supposed to deal with the Phoenix.
    That is why the devs went to all the difficulty of making it so you could shoot it down.
    It's not something that you should be able to just turn a hard left or right and escape, you should have to either shoot it down, or actually out-maneuver it.

An intelligent engie turret can consistently take down multiple phoenix rockets, even if the rockets are fired at the same time.
    (I know, a phoenix enthusiast buddy of mine -ArchDukeChocula- and I have wasted +5 minutes shooting at a VS engie with the AI turret with the phoenix. It wasn't til an NC infil snuck up behind him that we were actually able to shoot at anything without being shot down.)

You would also still be able to out-maneuver it, you just wouldn't be able to laugh it off by just pulling a hard right and beating it's turning speed.
    You can still wait til the last second and evade it with a precise movement intended to catch the pilot by surprise, but just being able to turn any direction and out turn it is a joke.

It's not the person with the better skill winning, it's the person in a vehicle who can press and hold "A" or "D" (While moving of course, but I trust my point isn't lost on you).
    That's what I want to be changed.

The insta-win "I can out-turn you, hahahaha!".
    For a harasser, sure, that's it's purpose.

But a sunderer, sky whale, or slow moving heavy tank should not be able to do that.
  5. TheKhopesh

That's an issue caused by the new dynamic render distance.
    (When your computer is trying to show +100 people running around all being controlled by actual players, it now cuts infantry render distance considerably, and the only guys who are badly effected are extreme range snipers and the NC using the Phoenix.)

The Phoenix is the worst vehicle in all of PS2 when it comes to turning capability.
    Even a stock galaxy can easily out-turn it.
    Someone ripped the game files about a year back, and the phoenix only has a turning speed of about ~60% that of a stock galaxy.
    This is why I want it to get better turning.
    Right now, it's pathetic.
    (Oh, and it has about 110% the inertial drift, meaning it behaves like a heavier galaxy. When you swoop in low and pull up, on the same turn that you could pull out with a galaxy, with a Phoenix missile you will keep dropping and plough into the dirt.)

Yeah, this is actually just because it's starting speed is ~6 m/s, rather than the normal rocket starting speed of ~75 m/s.
    The missile is a slow pitch down center lane. It's a joke. (Also, this will cause you to shoot your own vehicle if you fire it from the back of a flash or harasser if you fire while in reverse. I've killed myself, a gunner, and driver in a harasser before.)
    If we had an afterburner like that of an ESF, and that burner could be used the instant the missile is launched, then we could actually use it effectively against those who are so close you could deci them with ease.
    As well, an afterburner would allow you to lower the flight time from a max of 7.5 seconds to a max of about 2-3 seconds.
    Currently, we have a 4.7 second reload time, and then you add flight time.
    So our reload is determined on the target's distance.

A target at about 0-10m, our reload is 4.7 - 5.5 seconds.
    But on a target at about 250-290m though, our reload is 12.2 seconds.

An ESF's afterburner would also greatly aid fixing the major issue this causes with the Phoenix' DPS at range.

Yep, the thing clips against stuff that is amazingly further away than it should be clipping against.
    And the TR/VS think it's easy to use from a saferoom....
    That's a laugh.
    It can be done, it's just terribly, terribly difficult when you don't know if your rocket will actually clear the shield.
    Even at no angle, with a perfect shot down the middle of the shielded doorway, you'll still wind up clipping sometimes.

Yep. I've gotten my head blown off many times thanks to this issue as well.
    And it's really bad now that you cannot ADS and jump to fire over obstacles.

That little change really damaged the Phoenix' versatility on the field.

Yep, this is another issue, and it's not just maxes. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, your missile will just pass harmlessly through regular infantry.
    Even aiming at their chests, with the infantry standing perfectly still, and still you go right through them like they're not even there.

Oh, and rarely this will happen to you when firing at vehicles too.
    I've gone through the cockpit and out the tailfin of a hovering mosquito before.
    It's annoying as all helI.
  6. Shaken_U

I don't see the Phoenix at all, less than the striker even. While I do agree that the NC/TR ERSL (Lancer is the only one I'd buy right now) need a buff, but they should maintain their AV role.
    I want
    Striker (Pick one or two)
    *More velocity and rapid fire (Velocity of like 150 m/s, fires as fast as you can snap your fingers)
    *Higher damage (Like, 1.6x the annie's damage)
    *Lock On mechanics like the annie. ( Fire and forget, same missile duration. This makes it so that you gain the extra ~300 dmg for longer time spent shooting)

Phoenix (from NC players indirectly)
    Consistency
    Turn speed
    Missile speed
    Damage
  7. WarmasterRaptor

Phoenix ideas :

Fire Modes.

Dumb Fire / Camera Guided.

While guiding, slow speed.

Exiting flight mode (and dumbfire) could have better speed.

Striker :

Any else than that dumb lock on. Plz.
  8. lawn gnome

i wouldn't mind the phoenix getting an alternate dumbfire mode. maybe have it dumbfire whenever you fire it from the hip (to keep things simple and user friendly).
    • Up x 1
  9. BeyondNInja

Yeah I've had the Phoenix go through ESF cockpits, fins (esp on Scythes) and tank turrets but I always assumed it was an issue with the vehicle hitbox rather than the Phoenix itself. You'd think the 3m hitbox that clips on doorframes would help it hit targets as well...
  10. TheKhopesh

Nope, the issue doesn't appear to affect other launchers, only the Phoenix.
  11. vanu123

With the lancer some possible changes would be:
    -Further increase the velocity
    -Increase the ammo to 12
    -Damage buff
    -give it a blast radius of about 1 meter
  12. lawn gnome

there are plenty of vanu who really like the lancer how it is (i don't get it, the thing seems useless to me), so i believe it is probably reasonably balanced.