ESF Vertical Afterburner nerf makes reverse-flying pointless

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by SideOfBeef, Aug 1, 2013.

1. SideOfBeef

The reason ESFs currently use vertical thrust on live to to allow them to fire on a target while dodging return fire.The massive vertical thrust nerf on PTS makes this pointless, as afterburners no-longer move you enough to dodge. The result is that dogfights become much less skilled, devolving into a TTK war.

I'd really like to know what made the devs think such a nerf was needed in the first place.
    • Up x 15
  2. Oreo202

I have over 100 hours in a scythe. This will actually kill ESF combat in its current form. This is actually something worth fighting for.
    • Up x 10
  3. Aki

Finaly the much needed nerf to Reverse thrust. What you call skill isnt. Reverse thrust has always been an easy way out.

Now we will get to see good pilots from the average joes who used an ability which should never have been here in the first place.

I'm sorry for all you airchav but no other vehicle/infantry in the game has this "I win" ability against a newer player getting on their back.

Now you will have to fight for it and show your true skill, but dont be afraid, listening to you, you're all aces.
    • Up x 9
  4. Tenente

"If isn't broken, fix it until it is".

This is just another attempt to try to close the gap of a skilled pilot from a pilot with little skill.
    • Up x 1
  5. SideOfBeef

Did you play the beta? Remember how everybody hated dogfighting back then, because it was nothing but hovering in place and turning your nose? That's what happened before people figured out reverse flying, and that's what'll happen now.
    • Up x 4
  6. Cromell

OH NOES fighters will now have to fly like fighters, not helicopters! D:

Good pilots will adapt very fast, just like they developed that backward flying manuever, and they WILL come out on top anyway.
    • Up x 10
  7. Oreo202

You don't do traditional dogfights in this game. Using hoverthurst is how ESF combat in this game works, and has been how it has worked for a long time. You do not change the entire flight model when the game is getting close to being a year old.

Dogfighting is one of the few things that requires actual knowledge of the game and is not something you can do instantly, which is good.
    • Up x 3
  8. SideOfBeef

As I said to the last guy, did you play the beta? We had several months of piloting with the current mechanics before anyone had discovered vertical thrust. And it was godawful.

Due to the relatively long ESF TTKs, limited flight ceiling and very low speed, the most effective way to pilot an ESF is still to just hover. Except without vertical thrust dodging, that hovering becomes way less skilled, the way it used to be. Nobody wanted that during beta, and nobody wants it now.
    • Up x 3
  9. Osskscosco

Please dogfight while hovering in one place so i can shoot you with my prowler.
  10. reno

Which is necessary, since that gap is ridiculously wide. Reverse thrust is unintuitive and not many players are aware of it. Of course, this forum is about to drown in an ocean of crying from "aces" who have 500 days played and do nothing but ESF who don't want to lose their I win button when someone gets the jump on them, so it probably won't get implemented live.
    • Up x 2
  11. zedfonsie

Morons these days, not even worth arguing for...
    • Up x 1
  12. Oreo202

No. Not everything needs to be easy for new players. The only thing in the game which you REALLY have to work to do well with is the ESF.
    • Up x 2
  13. reno

REal
    Really, do you speak for everyone? According to the patch notes it can still be done, its just not as 100% necessary as it was before.
  14. IamnotAmazing

No it isn't a ttk war, it is who can aim better war.
  15. reno

Really, removing the vertical thrust trick makes it easy for new players? Knowing how to lead shots perfectly and having certed out ESFs makes it extremely difficult on new players.
  16. SideOfBeef

I'm speaking for myself and the people I talked to during beta, which is a lot of people. And if you'd actually read the original post, you wouldn't have written that second sentence.
    • Up x 1
  17. Tenente

Thinking more deeply about the subject, this change will only happen because otherwise it will be very easy to avoid the new Coyote Missiles, that were designed for this kind of hovering fight.

"Coyote Missiles are compact, short range missiles that lock-on to enemy aircraft and inflict light damage. Coyote Missiles can lock-on to targets quickly, but have a short lock-on range and lose established locks quickly."
    • Up x 2
  18. Naterian

SOE

DO NOT TOUCH THE ESF MECHANICS!!!

By some miracle you have accidentally crafted a very unique, fulfilling and skillbased air combat system.

DO NOT **** IT UP BY MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR NO REASON. Don't touch it, don't taint it.

It's fine as it is, throw in the new weapons and leave it as it ******* is.

This is something I'm quitting this game over, no lie.
    • Up x 19
  19. Oreo202

Reducing the current vertical thrust ability makes it easier to lead ESFs.

Tell me, how long have you spent in an ESF?
  20. reno

Yourself and the people you talked to during beta != everyone. In fact, it probably consists entirely of veteran players. And yes, I did read your post, thank you.