[Vehicle] ESF changes not in Notes, controls Messed up

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Czarinov, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Czarinov

This is from today's patch notes:

Flight Controls Changes
    • To get an improved level of control when using a gamepad, some changes needed to be made to our base physics interpretation of inputs; for maintainability splitting at this level was not an option
    • The bounded inputs (keyboard,gamepad) now respond in a more predictable and controllable fashion
    • The mouse (unbounded) input is applied overtime to as-closely-as possible match what previously existed
    • There will be subtle differences but they should be mostly unperceivable
    • This does mean controller support for our PC flyers just got an upgrade and you should give it a try!
    WHY IS THERE NO DETAILED INFO ON FLIGHT MODEL CHANGES?
    All the rates seems different. Pitch rate, turn rate, gaining speed. Pitch rate seems NERFED. BUT pitching is choppy. I had to turn my sensitivity down to be able to aim without jumping with pixels. However then I realized I couldn't pull my mouse fast enough to pitch up while falling straight into the ground. Pitching with keys - there IS A DELAY to gaining max. pitch rate. WHAT THE HELL?
    Differences that should have been subtle are NOT SUBTLE.
    We need complete information on the flight model and input changes.
    I am not against changes, but what really have you done to the flight model? Shall all a2a pilots switch to Dogfighter airframe now? And leave hover to a2g? SPEAK TO US, ORACLE

• The mouse (unbounded) input is applied overtime to as-closely-as possible match what previously existed
    What does this mean????
    • Up x 3
  2. JonboyX

Err... they've made it PS4 friendly. That is, after all, their next source of moolah.
    Seems they want one physics version across two systems, so you're going to get these compromises.
  3. Czarinov

1) But they didn't even tell what exactly and how they've changed. That's the main problem.

2) I doubt it's anywhere near user friendly for PS4 anyway.
  4. Goretzu

This was bound to happen because of the PS4 controller difference, may not be the last of it either.
  5. 00000000000000000000

This hasn't always been the case? because I feel like "Dogfighter" should naturally be the a2a frame and "Hover" should naturally be the a2g frame...

(Not insulting I honestly didn't know, my experiences with aircraft are minimal at best)
    • Up x 2
  6. Jake the Dog

Why do I sound not very upset... Probably because hover was supposed to A2G anyways.
  7. Kristan

Tested it in VR. Tuned some mouse sensitivity... I don't see much difference. What's wrong with new system?
  8. Steza

Besides the changes, there was a period where you could hop onto the PTS (Planet Side Test Server) and give feedback on what you liked and didn't like. They can be extremely helpful in transparency also you get to play with all the new toys. Hope this helps also voice your concern if you have any our feedback is important after all.
  9. JudgeNu

Did you even go to Test Server?
    How long have these changes been in the making and now that it is live you are surprised?
    They even asked for our input...

As far as the mouse pitch goes you have to use the mouse and bound pitch buttons together to keep from getting conflicting inputs.
    There is a threshold with the mouse input that can negate bound pitch input.
    So you just have to give your mouse input a little movement as to not reach that fine line.

Tbh I don't dogfight atm, I have little interest in dogfighting.
    I mainly tank hunt and the occasional annoying infantryman.
  10. Jawarisin

everything is wrong... If you don't see a difference it's because you haven't flown much. But try this:

Pitch up/down USING A BUTTON. You will notice it starts really slow and then goes faster and faster up to peak speed. It used to be instant max speed. Now only the mouse can kind of do that. So for instance, if you just tap the button, it doesn't turn at all because the acceleration made it SUPER slow to turn at first.
    Basically all ESF turning are about twice as slow now. This also means that most evasive maneuvers get messed up.

Yawing (A/D) is completely dead. basically about 1/3rd of the old yawing strength.

Different aiming for jet mode and hover mode.

Bunch of other ******** "feature".

Basically killing the game more and more on PC. I definetly wouldn't advise in spending any SC on it atm.

Lol Nope. The feedback was this: Horrible, don't implement.

They said: **** you, we do it anyways, deal with it.

And then they didn't listen to anything else.
    • Up x 3
  11. Ronin Oni

It means all the control input is being shoehorned into analog emulation which is the DUMBEST EFFING THING THEY COULD HAVE DONE

but NOOOOOO they can't have digital input act like digital input! THE HORROR!!!

Last I tested on PTS I was horrified at the flight controls and said as much. The response? "Be constructive"

I WAS BEING CONSTRUCTIVE!! IT WAS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE AND YOU CAN'T FORCE ANALOG EMULATION ON PC PLAYERS YOU BLOODY TWITS!

Anyways, hopefully they improved responsiveness but overall I'm expecting a crappy experience and there's a decent chance I'll uninstall PS2 for good.
    • Up x 2
  12. SovietSandwhich

Hover airframe is extremely useful in air to air combat. You can dominate your position relative to your opponent with the use of massively increased vertical thrust, allowing you to throw yourself around in wild and very high speed manuevers, all the while engaging your target, such as an enemy ESF.

These changes are VERY detrimental to the ESF flying experience. It is not enjoyable for me to fly anything the way it is right now, it is mure frustrating than anything. As opposed to previously having very fluid movements and controls, whereby I can easily swing the aircraft every which way, exactly how I want, with relatively small mouse movements, now I'm finding myself swiping my mouse across my mouse pad, repeadedly, and not getting nearly the same control as I used to.

The way the controls feel right now I can best describe as robotic, not fluid like you would expect an aircraft.

Right now, as it stands, I do not enjoy flying.

Something needs to be done about this new, godawful model.

And I agree with Czarinov in that the changes are not in any way "subtle", I could instantly tell something was very different, very wrong. Moreover, the specific changes made should be included in the patch notes

I play a lot of different classes and vehicles in PS2, but flying ESF was my favourite thing to do, and I just bought an Auraxium membership and a 6 month boost so I can further myself at a better pace in the game. Now the thing I found the most fun is the most frustrating.
    • Up x 1
  13. Ronin Oni

Gave input.

My input was "I can tell you're doing analog emulation with digital input, which is stupid. Don't do that"

Their response is "LOLOLOL We're putting this on PS4 and you have no choice, DWI"

Screw off DGC.

I'm going to try gamepad flight because last I tested mouse flight, it was TERRIBLE.

Will be pretty pathetic if I have finer control with a gamepad, but they SCREWED IT UP SO BAD, I'm sure it will be.

But, you know, console market, screw you PC, thanks for all that money that paid for everything.
    • Up x 2
  14. MorganM

Your point about lack of detailed info is spot on. The patch notes read more like bug ticket titles than notes. Just read through them... they aren't even reworded to make it sound like they fixed the problem! In the Valk and Flight Model changes they did at least try to explain it but on such a touch subject that will change the game play of some of the biggest drama queens in the game you'd think they would provide more clarity and explination.

Examples:
    • Players will sometimes switch from MAX to Light Assault when revived
      The way it's worded it sounds like they ADDED this in so that you'll randomly switch to LA when your MAX gets revived

• Some vehicle attachments still use old, now missing textures
    • Up x 1
  15. Ronin Oni

Did test on PTS, gave input, was ignored (preemptively even. They had said "We're doing this whether you like it or not but you can help us get it better!"

Apparantely not, cause EVERY SINGLE PILOT that tested it said the same thing. "WTF!"

It's analog emulation with digital input which is BEYOND ********.
    • Up x 1
  16. Czarinov

Well, pro pilots would use hover only and some people would use racers for "kicks" i guess. But no one would use dogfighter at all. Basically there was no good reason to choose anything over hover.

However my question was a real question, not a complaint. I'm just really wondering what is changed and how to adapt.

I don't mind the change. I mind being misinformed.

I did fly on PTS and I'm not sure if I left feedback, I think I did. I'm not sure because there is HUNDERS of negative posts in the thread about flight changes where my thoughts were already written.

I described it in my OP. I also described the main issue this thread is about. Misinformation.

I am not surprised. I am surprised (also not that "surprised", but demanding info) they didn't described the changes fully. Everyone has given them input. Negative.

However people seem to oversee the point of the thread. Like I said, I don't mind changes / adapting.

Players DIDN'T receive real information about the changes.
  17. Ronin Oni

analog emulation using digital input.

Try using your keybinds for pitch and tell me the difference.

It's idiotic beyond words.
  18. Kristan

Oh yeah, that's the only thing I've noticed. Though I think people will adapt.
  19. Jawarisin

Just as you would adapt if I said you couldn't walk faster than 0.5 km/hour for the rest of your life. But does that mean it would be a good thing? Definetly not. And it would ruin a big part of your life.
  20. Ronin Oni

Forcing analog emulation onto digital input devices is a pretty terrible way to go about it.