[Suggestion] ES Main Cannons For MBTs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vanu2013, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Vanu2013

I've been thinking about having ES Main Guns for MBTs as the current ones don't differ much from each other and having ES guns would add some variety into MBT gameplay.

So here are my suggestions:
    MAGRIDER
    A "charge-up" weapon similar to the Vortex for the VS MAX or Lancer for VS HA. It would charge up in the same way as the other 2 weapons (1 second per level, 3 levels in total)
    The stats I propose for each level are:
    Level 1 - 500 Damage, 550m/s Velocity
    Level 2 - 750 Damage, 650m/s Velocity
    Level 3 - 1500 Damage, 750m/s Velocity
    RoF (spam clicking) - 120RPM
    Magazine - 6 rounds, 3.5s reload

This weapon would have poor DPS but incredible accuracy like most Vanu weapons and would make the Magrider a good long-range sniper tank. I know this can be used to snipe infantry, but a Parallax has a much better scope and can do it better - there's no point in using this to snipe infantry.

PROWLER
    A rotary cannon, somewhat like GAU-8 Avengers in real life, or alternatively described as a 6-barreled rotating Basallisk, with a 120 round magazine.
    I propose the following stats for this weapon:
    Damage - 200 before 15m, 167 after 75m
    Rate of Fire - 750RPM
    Reload - 3 seconds short, 4.5 seconds long
    - Low Accuracy

This weapon would have very high RoF and DPS which makes it lethal opponent to anyone in close range. However, poor accuracy would limit it's effectiveness at long range.

VANGUARD
    A hard-hitting, howitzer like weapon with low muzzle velocity and slow rate of fire, much like a heavy assault's rocket launcher.
    I suggest the following stats:
    Damage (Kinetic) - 3000 before 10m, 2000 after 60m
    Damage (Splash) - 1200 before 1m, 200 after 6m (7m splash radius, I also suggest that this weapon be able to do 20% of its splash damage to heavy vehicles)
    Reload - 6s, has to reload after every shot.
    Velocity - 100m/s

This weapon has a long reload and slow muzzle velocity, meaning that it cannot fight at long ranges or contest DPS. What it can do is to use that massive alpha damage to its advantage - pop out, shoot and pop back into cover.

If you have any opinions or suggestions, please feel free to reply to this post. If you feel that any of them are UP or OP, don't just state so, please explain why you think so and leave a suggestion for balancing. Thanks for reading :)
    • Up x 1
  2. LodeTria

I wouldn't use any of these over the AP cannons we have now, except the Vanu one which is OP because you could just mag dump it at close range for massive damage.
    Also LOL at that vanguard velocity.
  3. AxiomInsanity87

Really good ideas.

Post it on reddit or pm radarx or andysites

No point posting anything here because it's too good for the codmmunists.
  4. Pikachu

Vanu does not like charge up weapons.
  5. Liewec123

i love lancer, especially for long range anti max, 2 shot kill, pinpoint accurate, no drop, borderline instant travel time.
    Lancer makes Archer cry ;)
    • Up x 1
  6. AxiomInsanity87

It's VS, therefore it takes the most skill to use and is up ;)
  7. tijolo

Exposure time defined by the user's skill? Don't speak for everyone. I like it.

To the OP:
    VS- That could be fun. But there are enough complaints on the lancer and vortex's accuracy as it is. How about a continuous laser that deals more damage the longer it stays on the same target due to overheating? Or a projectile that deals damage over time after it hits?
    TR- Vulcan main turret?
    NC- No. How about a gun that aims differently, somewhat like mortars (on the minimap, maybe). But due to the arc to the target it would take a little while longer than direct projectiles to get there. Low splash range so it's not used to farm infantry anywhere. It would be somewhat of a not-manual phoenix to fire behind cover.
  8. Taemien

Not true. I suggested their tank get a charge up mechanic for their current weapons that improved trajectory and velocity and got tons of likes and quotes saying they liked it.

Charge up weapons on infantry kinda blow. But on a hover tank, it works pretty good. Especially if they can hold the charge for a second or two.
  9. Deffington

I believe I saw 4-barreled Prowler and Vanguard with railgun on forums, saying it is in game files. IDK what was the Magrider version though...

Still, ES primaries should stack with abilities. To get the right TR feeling, I'd like to get something that stacks well with anchored mode.
  10. Pikachu

Every time someobe has made a weapob suggestion for vanu, it recieves hate. "We dont wNt any more fkn charge wwapons!" Seen it plenty of times here. They didnt want it for vortex or anything since.
  11. Vanu2013

Vanguard with railgun sounds cool, but what sets it apart from an AP cannon? 4-barreled Prowler sounds like they stuck 2 Prowler cannons together.

Anchored mode needs a little buff IMO, some extra survivability while anchored would be nice. On an anchored Prowler, the weapon I suggested would be an excellent area denial weapon. Instead of making it reload faster, they could increase its RoF to about 900RPM on a max rank Anchored Mode. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that.
  12. Taemien

Think about it, you can control the velocity and trajectory.. a quick click lobs a ball of plasma over a hill like some sort of mortar.. a long charge sends it nearly without any drop and 25% extra velocity...

Who wouldn't want that?
    • Up x 1
  13. Jubikus

The TR one would be interesting im sure people would love a high DPS short range weapon on the fastest MBT put a Vulcan on top and shred armor would not go well with Lockdown which kind of sucks.

Its kind of funny that the MBT that would use each weapon best is not its actual faction the magrider would be able to use the NC pop in and out one the best do to natural ability to pop in and out of cover all the while facing the enemy with front armor and the thinner profile of front instead of side.

The VS long range charge up would combo extremely well with lockdown.

And then the TR high dps one would go great with a shield since you have to get close with it granted the speed of a vanguard makes this the worse of the 3 when it comes to putting it on another tank but i think the shield and heavier armor outclasses the prowlers speed for a weapon like this by a little bit.
  14. Deffington

I believe the railgun would be like 'more AP'. More velocity, more point damage, no splash.

I didn't like the idea of having 4 guns. Even two are sometimes giving hard times. It has the advantage that when I miss the first, I can correct that with second round. But when I hit the first, I can't fire the second immediately, because of the kick of first shot. Well, if Prowler works well as artillery, maybe a kind of Libby Duster (with AP power) or something like that would be nice. Cluster Duster?

What good is 900 RPM when you have two-round mag?
  15. eldarfalcongravtank

Prowler: Quadruple Cannon
    + high damage output
    + fairly large splash radius
    - very long reload

Vanguard: Railgun
    + very high velocity
    + high alpha damage
    - no splash damage

Magrider: Homing Plasma Cannon
    + Coyote-style automatic lock-on
    + high range