[Suggestion] Erm... could I suggest something?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Rovertoo, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Rovertoo

Hey, I know this is the Medic forums and since I really never play medic, I don't think I'm exactly justified to even be here, let alone suggest this seriously. But, I would just like to put this forward.

Can the Medic's heal not be used on himself?

I say this only because it irks me a little bit to begin fighting a medic, only to have him pop his heal on himself ala Heavy Assault. I know it's a 'combat medic', but I feel like the medic is already good at combat with the amazing Assault Rifles, and it's not necessary for him to have an 'overhealth' to accompany the HA's 'overshield'.

Honestly, feel free to shout me out of this forum, a little LA really doesn't belong.
  2. RobotNinja

Nano-Regen doesn't come close to comparing to HA shields. It's only *OP* when they duck behind a corner and fully heal themselves. If you're fighting head to head and start shooting well aimed shots first they're dead.
  3. Renuse

Yeah smashing medics is easy. Their heals arent a big deal at all. One might even consider it a good tactic to heal and roll Advanced shield compacitor to have regen superiority over generic builds. Allows for touch and go hits and quick regen all around.

Also you know wr have health vials right?...
    • Up x 1
  4. Rovertoo

I totally agree it's not near as powerful as the HA shield, and killing them isn't that hard either. I suppose I should have clarified, it's more for the feel of the class than anything. As it stands, they feel tankier than at least I think they should be, (but not unbearably so) and being a support class, I feel like having their support ability sway a 1v1 is a bit off.
  5. Dudeman325420

Try switching from C-4 to one of those health-kit things when the fight moves from vehicle-exploding to the infantry slugfest. Now you can heal yourself too.
    • Up x 1
  6. Renuse

Thats why its called a combat medic bub. The class simply has to be viable in combat or else it becomes a null support class, people will begin to pull more heavies with vials simply to not have die so easily cause a medic cannot heal himself (which sounds like a lot of suck and a lack of modern tech, as well as common sense. Its HIS green laser after all.) Getting deeper into that when your in a combat heavy enviornment and there are multiple allies taking damage (which happens a lot) you cant expect olto heal them all with one medic gun efficiently. To add to that if the purposed idea is even considered then the dev team would have to revemp the shield bubbles as well. Further adding the nan regen is poor.

The class has too, off of basic viability and situations that the medic would find himself in in order to heal. Hes going to be able to survive better than an engi or infil any day (typically).

I hate playing medic. I think they are free kills. Way too easy to kill imo in general. But they fulfill their roll.
  7. Rovertoo

See, I'd be fine with them being able to heal themselves with their own Medic gun, it just doesn't seem to fit right with the supportiest of support classes to be able to edge up in a fight with their support ability. I'm down for them using it mid combat to boost their buddies, and I think they are good at combat with the incredible Assault Rifles.
  8. phreec

Combat Medic is actually just a closet Medium Assault.

Not as tanky as HA, not as squishy as LA/ENG or finally INF.
    • Up x 1
  9. SevenTwo

I find the Nano Regen ability rarely affects the outcome of a fight and it's pretty rare for the healing aspect of the Meditool to do so either, unless your allies are very good at popping out of harms way to get healed rather than killed.

The heal rates aren't really that great on either of them, so given a firefight with relatively skilled shooters or short ranges, you'll probably at most eke out 1-2 more bullet's worth of survival on a friendly target while healing someone mid-fight.

It's kind of the same with the self heals during fights. It's not nearly powerful enough to keep up with the average TTK to actually sway a fight on its own. Using it as strategy to win a fight really only works if there's cover around or you are fighting at long range, where the enemy can be whittled down, otherwise the amount healed won't really matter in the short run.

I mean, think of it this way - the damage a medic heals is *after* shields are down. That means it'll only work once you are at 50% of your total health, approximately around four or five bullets from death.

Each "tick" only replenishes a small amount of HP, much less than a single bullet of basically any weapon afaik, meaning you can't really rely on it to tank the damage for you. Conversely, the HA shield actually adds to your health at any point of the fight or mitigates any damage taken, which is vastly differently from having to go below 50% effective HP to actually function.

So while you *can* edge up in a fight an heal your allies, I think it's typically more beneficial to help them deal with the enemy and rez/replenish their health after the fact - ie. Combat first, Medic second.

At least that's my take on it. :)
  10. DatVanuMan

Why would we yell at you? This is Forumside, everyone is kind, intelligent, understanding...
    Wait a second. None of that applies to this hell.
    WHAT DID YOU SAY?????
    MEDICS ARE SUPERIOR, go away, Light Assault Fairy! #MEDICS4LIFE
    And don't you forget that:]
    Edit: It's not OP, man. He IS the medic, he's supposed to heal himself. I mean, he stands no chance versus a HA most of the time, will get pwned if ambushed by a LA, and an Infiltrator can either snipe his head off, or get that SMG or bow and surprise him to death.
  11. Jogido

I suggest go playing as a medic (and the rest of the classes for that matter) and then you can gauge the balance more accurately for yourself

beyond the early BRs it's always best to be a universal soldier instead of a one class pony.
  12. Rovertoo

It's less about balance, really. Honestly I think the game as a whole is pretty well balanced, with a few minor notes here and there. I just feel it's odd that the Combat Medic, not a class people usually associate with tankiness, is (even if it's slightly) tougher than most infantry.
  13. asdfPanda

I wouldn't say that the Combat Medic is tanky, as it has the same hp as the LA and Engineer. If anything, I'd call the Combat Medic resilient; punishing opponents for not finishing the kill.
    • Up x 1
  14. Nurath

Considering that any standard infantry should go down in less than a clip of ammo and the TTK, I hate to recommend it, but.....learn to aim?