Engineer or infiltrator - who needs bouncing betties more?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Halski, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Halski

I saved up some certs and I`m going to unlock some explosives. I noticed that bouncing betties are 2x more expensive for infiltrators than for engineer. Why is that?
    For which class should I unlock the bouncing betties? Engineer seems obvious to me, becuase I could save so many certs - is there any reason to cert these mines for infiltrator?
  2. Jac70

Depends upon how you play the class. Mines are good for range snipers to cover their behinds from sneak attackers. For Engineers they are useful for covering their backs when repairing turrets. For this case I would say they are a better fir for Snipers because they tend to find a good spot and stay in the vicinity. Tank mines are better for Engineers.
    • Up x 3
  3. _itg

I imagine they're more expensive for infiltrators because infiltrators can sneak behind enemy lines to place them or make suicidal "pizza deliveries," but they can still use them for defense like an engineer would. If you unlock them on infiltrator, you don't really need to unlock them for engi, but if you had them unlocked for engi already, you would still have some incentive to get them for infiltrator.

I'd second the suggestion to get tank mines, regardless. Blowing up a tank is far more satisfying and makes a bigger impact on the battle, overall. They're also great for blowing up non-deploy shield sunderers.
    • Up x 1
  4. Takoita

IMHO, they are equally useful on both classes. So I'd suggest to get them all starting from the most cheap option and then go up from there.

I'd recommend holding off on the utility pouch engineer suit slot for some time though - the cert cost is excessively high for a... questionable amount of profit. If you find yourself feeling there is not enough boom in your engineer life, you may want to look into certing tank mines, C4 and sticky grenades in full before you go for the utility pouch.
    • Up x 1
  5. Halski

Thanks for the replies! So, you generally suggest taking tank mines over bouncing betties? Aren`t tank mines more "clumsy" in usage? What I mean, I imagine you can drop a bouncing betty in a corridor and boom! Sooner or later someone triggers it and dies, while tank mines require more luck or being suicidal to be effective?
  6. Bulltahr

Tank mines bro, they won't go "Boom" quite as often, but you will get a lot more multiple kills and XP............................Like all mines, placement is the key, think before you drop them (remember they cost resources). A full sundy ="The holy grail" :D
    Betties for infils more useful than for engineer, if you are talking about more than just easy kills.
    • Up x 2
  7. Jac70

People are getting wise to infantry mines now. They will scope the usual places but you can still get kills.

Tank mines are very useful for guarding deployed Sunderers and in their current form they are really hard to see unless you are using EOD implant. Plus you can get multi-kills with them. The trick is to drop them in clusters so that you get the kill rather than only damaging a target. I drop them in clumps of 2 and that usually does the job as few people use mine guard on their vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  8. RobotNinja

It's easier for infiltrators to drop proxy mines in fun spots because they can cloak and sneak behind enemy lines. Engineers can't do a whole lot of sneaking around.

The quality on this video kinda sucks and it's a little old but it illustrates how you can pop in and out of rooms with mines while cloaked.

• Up x 1
  9. Halski

Thank you all for showing so much interest! I think I need to do some more research on how to use different mines to finally make a decission (they`re so expensive) and please tell me: how actually reliable this wiki is? http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Infiltrator and http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Engineer
    According to it infiltrator`s mines are 2,5x more expensive, is that cost really justified? I think I`m leaning more toward tank mines, as they`re more unique and destroying sundies is so tempting.
  10. Flamberge

Infil can basically do anything with Ai mines that an engi can do. (Mine rooms, doorways, suicide runs, etc.)

However, infiltrator can also get said mines into sneaky locations, and can do suicide runs a little easier in crowded areas.

However, where the infiltrator + AI mines really shines is when you sneak up to an enemy occupied base turret, and place an AI mine where the enemy will jump out. You then hack the terminal, forcing them out. Then you IMMEDITIALLY jump into the turret, as you get one of the cheesiest kills ever. (You can always put two mines in case the enemy has flak armor, but I've found that one usually gets the job done.)
    • Up x 2
  11. Bulltahr

Actually, if you postition yourself on the side of the turret base and face back , you can: 1. shoot the guy if he pops out to deal with you, 2. have protection from your mine blast and can finish the guy with quick burst if he survives the mine blast. Save the 2nd mine for the next occupied turret.
    • Up x 1
  12. Flamberge

Very true, but I have also found that due to clientside/latency/server problems/extraterrestrial lifeforms the enemy can exit the turret and walk/turn for some time before said enemy renders for you.
    • Up x 1
  13. Souleater

I would get tank mines they let you hurt or kill vehicles while doing something else.

If you are in a tank you can sometimes attack an enemy, fall back out of LoS over your own mines and lure an enemy to their death.

I used to have AI mines on my '.assault' Engineer loadout but i keep finding myself wishing i had my AT mines instead. (Rogue MAXES, annoying Harrassers)

infiltrators can booby trap points or discourage pursuit just like an Engineer but the 'suicide bomber' makes them particularly useful.

C4 is very flexible - kill inattentive vehicles, clear rooms, remote booby traps. But i find it more useful on LA due to their crazy mobilty or a dedicated 'Sundy Killer' HA.

Not that Tank Mines are easy to use...you do have to think about it more than AI mines. Think where you might drive if you where the enemy will go and then where they will go if trying to avoid potential mines.

Oh...and get Sticky Grenades. They are great.
    • Up x 1