Engineer Missile Turret: How To Video

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BengalTiger, Apr 12, 2013.

1. BengalTiger

Greetings, Auraxians.

Found this on youtube yesterday, thought it might be useful:

Quick review, for those who don't have 20 minutes:

-Missile turrets can be deployed once per 6 seconds and have a 2.5 second deploying time. They cost nothing.
    -The reload time begins at 6 seconds, but can be reduced to a bit over 4 with upgrades. Ammo is infinite.
    -When fired, it's good to shoot a little off the target and then guiding the missile back, this allows to see without the missile's smoke trail obstructing.
    -It's possible to deploy a smoke screen and attack a spotted enemy based on its Dorito (just aim below it), making the user invisible.
    -When fired and abandoned, the missile will keep going towards the point the turret is aimed. As such it's possible to fire, make sure it's aimed, and run away from it to avoid counter fire. That way the operator is in danger for roughly 2 seconds during the launch, making it really hard for enemies to shoot the engineer (if the operator decides to fire more than one shot from a single launcher).
    -Decreasing mouse sensitivity increases long range accuracy when pixels matter, if a target can't be aimed at due to sensitivity, deploying the next turret a bit left or right can help.
    -It's possible to guide the missile behind cover, allowing for indirect fire.
    -Missile turrets can be deployed in a shootout and used for cover, they're much bigger in terms of collision detection than the model.
    -A vehicle such as a fighter can be used to reach odd firing positions that will allow to kill multiple targets unnoticed.
    -They will reload on their own after firing, without the operator attending them. As such it's possible to fire a missile, switch to a different weapon for a few seconds (such as a carbine), and fire the next missile.
    -The missiles apparently need 4 shots to kill a Sundy, fired from any direction.
    -The missiles kill MAXs and ESFs in 2 hits (so it's possible to set up an ambush in 2.5 seconds in a corridor, or to destroy ESFs on a distant landing pad).
    -They kill infantry with a single hit (making them just about as useful as the machine gun turret in an infantry battle, minus the big glowing shield).
    -They do reduced damage against Liberators- it takes 6 shots to kill.

Now a question that the author of the video asks towards the ending:
    What's the weakness that balances it?

And a question from me, that this video doesn't mention:
    Does the engineer still render as a vehicle after firing a missile and leaving the turret, or does he disappear if far enough (and as such becomes invulnerable to fire from a distant enemy)? I kill lots of abandoned turrets lately which just fired at me and rarely even see the person who used it.
  2. Llaf

Disappears. They also seem to be invincible to body damage if far enough away to not render as infantry and only as a vehicle, I've tested this both ways, attempting to headshot someone with a bolt action, as well as sitting super far away on an AV turret blasting away, as a sniper I was unable to hit, and as an engi I never took life damage, not even if the turret got hit by a rocket or something.
  3. BengalTiger

Would be nice if this worked both ways in the vehicle vs turret battle.
    Tank blows up, driver walks away...

In fact what are the hard counters to the missile turret, other than a low flying Liberator?
  4. Llaf

Oh don't get me wrong, if the turret blows up while the guy is still on it he definitely dies, I know that from personal experience too. Anything that doesn't destroy the turret though, the engi can walk away without a scratch if hes out of infantry render distance.
  5. Mazdam

6. TheBillOf3D

No they can, and I have, been headshoted while using them. I never feel very concealed. Maybe from the target but wide open for everyone else. It does help absorb other kinds of hits.
    • Up x 1
  7. NoctD

Rocket pod ESFs! Its pretty hard for them to snipe us... I've had all sorts of things from the ground hit my ESF, but the AV mana turret isn't one of those responsible for death.

And the Phoenix of course. But you have to get within range, and the AV turrets outranges the Phoenix.
  8. Jex =TE=

It's coming, you know it...
  9. H4TZniceGuy

Can't go wrong with a Wrel video.

Oh wait. Good thing there's a undo on the thumbs up.
  10. TheBillOf3D

I've hit and killed cocky lolpodding esfs but they were hovering.
  11. Llaf

Then whoever headshotted you was within infantry render distance. I've tried repeatedly over and over and over again to headshot someone on an AV turret from very long distances, only to not even have them get off the turret after the first shot, meaning I didn't even hit them at all, but instead the turret. If I had hit them, they would have exited the turret immediately because as well all know, bolt actions only take two shots to kill.
  12. BengalTiger

I get several or more on a good evening. ESFs that fly low and slow ain't really challenging.
    Not getting spotted long enough to take the shot sometimes is.
  13. Lyrencropt

No, if you can see them on their turret, you can headshot them, no matter the distance, and that's a one hit kill with a bolt action unless they have nanoweave. It can be hard to get the shot because the turret hitbox is larger than the turret itself, but if you see the critical hit marker then that means you hit them, otherwise you're just hitting the turret.
  14. TheBillOf3D

Yes, if you don't hit the head it probably only counts against the turret. I usually hear them plinking off the turret and stubbornly try to get another shot before I'm head shotted. Although, a few times no sooner that I use it. I don't have much time on my sniper and haven't tried taking one out myself.
  15. Llaf

I've tried many many times to make this happen and I've never been able to do it at extreme distances(where infantry would obviously not render), so I disagree, until I see some kind of evidence or do it myself(I will try). I will agree to disagree.
  16. Mazdam

I dont think so... if there are hundreds of players claiming for a specific nerf, they wont nerf anything
  17. GSZenith

you should test in the vr, put the turret on the cliff west of the flight terms, fly down to the tr prowler to the east of shooting range, you will never be able to see the turret, go back towards the turret with air, with infra/night, it won't render before 200m :)
  18. RealityWarrior

To the OP: Welcome to 2 months ago....

The disadvantages are:
    - you are very vulnerable. I get sniped all the time.
    - Anything that blows up the turret in one hit kills the user. Any Tank Main gun, Hvy assults Rockets (BTW they can lock on the turret so guaranteed hit) as well as the Phoenix. Those things make the turrets a death sentence.
    - Finding a spot to set it down is very hard to do, impossible in many locations. Unless you are on perfectly flat terrain. This can mean it takes up to 30 seconds to deploy sometimes.
    - hitting a moving target at distance is extremely hard.
    - targeting something in the air is next to impossible unless they are hovering. The missile does not turn the same when you have the sky as a back ground.

Sure if the tank 600 meters away is standing still it is easy to hit. If the inf 100 meters away isn't moving it really isn't hard. If they move it gets WAY harder to hit someone. They guided missiles are not very responsive.
  19. Puppy

He forgot to mention players can hit a moving tank from 600m away.
  20. Puppy

It should have been here a long time ago. Ruins gameplay.

I recomended a limited missle range and not 4 hitting sundies.
    • Up x 2