Engineer and Shotguns :)

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by freeze, Mar 1, 2013.

1. freeze

I finally found a good use for my pandora :D

this is my favourite cqc kit now and it ***** face:

I hope you guys like it :)
    • Up x 1
  2. Slaidd

Excellent carnage. Watching that almost makes me want to start a VS guy. :) Actually, it's interesting you post this, as I've been using the same setup on my Engineer the last several weeks, been using the Piston with extended mags. Engi's the only class I can use it since it eats ammo so fast, the only way I can make it work is to constantly feed myself ammo boxes. Do you ever use slugs? I have them but have been going with standard shells for the most part, they seem to work well for the range the shotty is best at anyway.

Thanks for the vid.
    • Up x 1
  3. KodanBlack

I use the same setup. Awesome video and I certainly commend you on your ability. DAMN!
    • Up x 1
  4. Jonesofmaui

Damn that was awesome!!!
    • Up x 1
  5. freeze

I have the slugs unlocked on the Nova, not on the Pandora though.
    I think slugs make for a very boring type of gameplay. It's mostly used by light assaults to get to some hard to reach places and then they basically use it like a semi-auto sniper. and as I'm aweful at sniping, I don't really like doing it, hehe

I have to wait and see how the slugs turn out of the pump-action shotguns.
    they might be worth a second look then.
    but as it is right now, I'm not really a big fan of them. I prefer my run&gun playstyle a lot more :D

cheers guys :D
  6. Nintyuk

Ahh a fellow Ninjaneer, You know clearly the tactics of Ninjaneering and exell me in your application of those skills.
  7. freeze

I'll use that expression as the title for a new engineer shotgun video (when I make one again) if ya don't mind ;)
  8. Nintyuk

It's fine, It's a TF2 term as that's were I hail from. Make sure to PM me a link when your done.
  9. BalogDerStout

This seems like the place. I'm thinking of plunking down some SC for a shotgun. I trialed the pump shotty and didn't have much luck with it, maybe I need to give it another chance, but it didn't seem to OHK for me. Just trialed the Nova, rather liked that one a lot, might have just been that I had a better play session with it.

That leaves the Thantos which I've heard good things about, and the low reload is a nice perk since I like to keep my mag full and fire a lot, my aim is... decent. And the Pandora, which I've found conflicting information on.

Suggestions?

I already have a VX6-7, but I just can't seem to kill with it, even at CQC. A shotgun that can get me 1-2 kills per death would be much improved. Always seem to just die with my VX. I can do ok work with the Orion on my heavy, because I live just enough longer with the shield to drop my target, sometimes. Sometimes I have the crosshair on the guy and die anyway, since I don't burst fire in close firefights. Hoping a shotgun will assist that playstyle.

Suggestions on which one to get?
  10. Anvildude

You are an Engineer? The Pandora will work well for you. However, it does require practice to learn how to control it- it's got a beast of a kick.
  11. irishroy

start at 1:40 and watch.
    looks cool xD
    the pandora is the "non-auto"-shotty, like the NC's sweeper, i guess?
    i am bad at comparing the faction's guns..^^

DAT AIM AT 2:40
    o.0
  12. Ganjis

Pandora is the full-auto. I love it when the situation favours its use as an engineer. Run up into enemies holding down the trigger like something from a bad 80s action movie. I do tend to blow most/all of a (extended) magazine just to kill one guy, but that is part of the fun IMO ;).
  13. BalogDerStout

I trialed the Pandora last night. It's an odd gun, insanely fast fire rate combine with a 6 round mag (trialed so no upgrade) means you're going to end up reloading. That extended mag is almost a necessity. At best you're going to drop one guy before reloading, maybe 2 with the mag. You also weren't kidding about the kick, wow does that thing kick like crazy.

Those are the cons.

Here's the perks, you're going to drop drop that guy. If you end up in a CQC fight with a heavy and he's shielded you're going to scare the pants off him even if you don't drop him, which you stand a very real chance of doing. Even if you can't drop him you're going to fire enough bullets to get him to take cover, giving you the chance to run off and reload. It's an absolute beast, and it gives you the chance to compete in CQC engagements, which is what I really need, since I spend a lot of my time at that range and my VX6 doesn't cut it there anymore. Sad since it isn't the best at long ranges either. But being able to actually hold a fight near generators is so nice.

Right now my rating

Nova
    Pandora
    Phobos

I'll trial the Thantos when I get a chance. I get the feeling the Phobos had a bad run when I trialed it and despite how much I enjoyed the Pandora, I think the lack of auto is actually a perk for the Nova, since it requires me to be a bit more accurate with each shot, and has less kick. I imagine I may like the Thantos more, since it has a faster reload time and comparable damage. Ultimately they all do the job I need and any one will be an improvement.
  14. Vertabrae

I did this (well attempted to do this, still learning the shotguns) with a Nighthawk. Didn't work so well. Got my Uppercut and I'm liking it much better.
  15. irishroy

shotguns are cool^^
  16. BalogDerStout

17. Deth

That was a great video man! Thank you for sharing that. Fun to watch. I appreciated that after all those awesome kills you went to slo-mo and showed all those missed shots on the one guy. Nice job
  18. AssaultPig

which attachments do you use, just the extended mag?
  19. Gopblin

Here's my reasoning for Pandora: with extended mag and some practice, it's the best CQB gun, period. So if you're playing CQB there is no reason to use anything else.

What about fighting in a varied environment? Well, a shotgun with slugs is still the best engi sniper, allowing you to drop enemies out to 300m or so more effectively than any other gun. All shotguns are suited well to that role - but only the Nova lets you be competitive in CQB as well, fullauto with slugs is no joke.

Therefore, Pandora is the best shotgun at close and medium range, and is just as good at long range as all the other shotguns.

The ONLY reason to use Nova is for the bigger ammo load, which is a non-issue for an Engi. I do use it for my LA sniper setup though.

Best wishes,
    Daniel.
  20. BalogDerStout

So after much deliberation I settled on the Pandora. While I'm not quite as good with it as I was with the Nova, it's more fun was the ultimate reason. It's one of the few weapons where spray and pray has a chance to win a fight, and with some practice I think it could be even better.

All the shotguns really do their role well, but the Pandora's auto shotgun just scares the beejebus out of people, it's an absolute beast and doesn't punish missing the way the pump shotty does. I'd probably still do better with the Nova, but I do like the Pandora. If I played LA more often I'd have gone with the Nova simply for ammo reasons, even as an engi, always dropping the ammo box can become a problem. But the ability to just drop a shielded enemy heavy is reason alone to get this thing.