Enabling PhysX on an i7, while running an AMD GPU

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by P4nda, Feb 8, 2014.

1. P4nda

After countless searches on google and on these forums I can't seem to find a tutorial on how to actually enable PhysX on the CPU itself. I'm aware of the frame rate drops this'll entail - don't care. An i7-2600 @4.2Ghz will handle it.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. BlackDove

There are two types of PhysX in PS2. There is the PhysX engine which handles the vehicles and other physics, and then there are GPU particles PhysX. You can only get the GPU particles if you have an Nvidia GPU which supports PhysX.

PhysX is working on your CPU if you're playing the game, however you can't get the GPU particle effects without an Nvidia GPU.
  3. Artifex78

Annnd the particle effects are currently disabled.
  4. BlackDove

Yeah, so even if you have an Nvidia GPU, you're getting screwed when it comes to PhysX. I wonder if it'll ever be put back in the game, since PS4 is AMD.
  5. Dragam

Honestly, physx particles is just a gimmick anyways. But Nvidias latest invention gsync on the other hand... boy is that sweet - no stutter, no screen tearing, no input lag... When a 4k screen with gsync is announced, ill preorder it asap :p
  6. Deil

If by handle it you mean produce roughly 15-20 fps you are correct, however most people wouldn't consider that playable. However there is no implementation of a software (CPU) renderer for PhysX in Planetside 2.

Whenever you emulate graphics card technology on a cpu, ESPECIALLY when the cpu is already heavily loaded (AKA the rest of what PS2 is doing) it is going to be slow. You're asking a boat to be a car. Sure, you could throw some wheels on it, but it wont go very fast.
  7. starlinvf

But like most proprietary hardware implementations on monitors, it'll make a lack luster first run and then fade from memory. We're 5 years behind on several quality of life improvements for monitors, and don't even get me started on 3DTVs.
  8. Dragam

Hmm, i dont see gsync being forgotten about, as it basically eliminates the tearing and input latency issues, that games usually suffer from.
    But i do agree that to make it nvidia only is a silly move, as they will profit from the sales of the g-sync modules regardless, and that would get it a much wider adoptation.
  9. tigerchips

AMD is developing FreeSync. Problem solved.
  10. Daikar

It's not the same thing though I highly doubt it will even work on desktop PCs.
  11. tigerchips

We'll see, and if they do work then Nvidia were trying to sell you something that was free to start with, nice try.
  12. Daikar

I really doubt Nvidia would spend money to develop hardware that can be done with software.
  13. tigerchips

:)
  14. Longman

I just came back after 2 months of not playing planetside and still no gpu physics... I guess they'll never come again.
  15. Kirdra

PhysX is working again on the test server, its just a matter of time before it goes live at this point.
  16. BlackDove

Free sync only works on laptops vecause of how monitors communicate with gpus. Do you think nvidia would develop an FPGA if they could do it with software? Lol do some research before you make ridiculous assertions.