Empty base capping? I still dont get it.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SKYeXile, Dec 19, 2012.

1. SKYeXile

So been reading a few forum threads today(i know right?) and people go on and on about people avoiding each other and zergs capping empty bases. Okay I see it sometimes on Briggs, but there's not giant red alert blobs of people running unopposed and unchecked, personally i see a red alert and i get there IMMEDIATELY! With AOE.

Of course these unopposed zergs on other servers obviously exist or people wouldn't go on and on about them, but why the hell are you doing it? You cant win the game, land is pointless, this is FarmSide, the only thing that matters is tech with a basic amount of land so you get resource ticks. the only other land worth holding is the crown so you have a Mediocre infantry fight available to you at all times. The rest? screw it, farm people, way better XP and more exciting than rolling in a mega tactical blob while some military dropout barks orders at other weak minded submissive men... Afraid you're not good enough at killing people, whatever, this is a modern shooter, get a tank, shell foot zerging window lickers, you too can too bring in 50k XP per hour!... don't get banned though.
  2. Keifomofutu

XP + XP Pinata defenses.
  3. Kevorkian

They're farming certs. Its like in mmorpgs, where people would pvp in premades vs pugs all day. Whatever is the easiest way to obtain your goal. Nothing new to online gaming.
  4. SKYeXile

Oh i get that, saw it heaps in WAR as we would go around magneting packs of people BO farming, but even if you're terrible...the XP is still better from killing/fighting.
  5. Wahooo

I don't get it either but sheep will be sheep... and I know you must know about sheep.

Right now because of a crap work schedule i'm kinda forced into way off prime time play. I log on... look for a red alert... sigh at the population imbalances each faction seems to have picked a continent to ghost cap. Find one that has the closest to balance (usually Indar) and go look for a red alert. Drop in to find there MIGHT be two other people from my empire around. If i'm lucky I can ninja around in LA and stay above 1.0 K/D not actually defending but just being a general PITA and more often than not getting farmed. So I pick up a mossie at the WG and fly around to see where the ACTUAL fight is. Sometimes its the crown. But most of the time there just isn't one. So my choice is to get farmed trying to be the lone responder... or just join the sundy parade ghost capping.

What sucks and makes me rage is that server wide there is PLENTY of people on for a good fight... they just refuse to come together.

I blame the people for making that choice... but I blame the system for making this ghost capping crap seem like a viable way to spend their time in game.
  6. Believer

Its called 'grinding' (for certs). Its a sadomasochistic ritual in which players of severely poor character chase their own tails like rabid dogs because for one reason or another (brain damage, drugs, low self-esteem, etc) they have lost all hope.

I hope that offended someone. I give the tough love. I know all about grinding from doing years of it in another game, and I am still fighting the demons constantly beckoning me to surrender to their dark will.
    • Up x 1
  7. Tantric

No it's not. If you are terrible, you are dying a lot and getting zero XP. Even if you are decent, if you are outmanned and out-equipped, you aren't getting much XP.

I love to defend, but with the way things are it is pointless to try and defend a base unless you have a ton of players from your faction there. Most are far too open and spread out to defend. Other than the spawn areas which are small and compact making them easy to spawn camp.

As it has been said, the main reason is to farm XP for certs. The high cert costs has made that a priority.
  8. Sharpe

I literally facepalmed IRL as I finished reading your post.
  9. SKYeXile

outnumbered is the best farming.

dem people ghosting aint too bright now.
  10. FelixG

There is also the problem that the defensive fights in this game are considerably less fun than offensive.

There are no benefits to defense here, the game has ****** defensive positions, campable spawn rooms, spread out generators and points.

it is just generally horrible, so why bother trying to hold a place from the enemy zerg when you can attack and take somewhere instead?

If they made defense in this game possible (other than pretty much Biolabs) then we would likely see more determined defenses instead of going around in circles without zergs intercepting one another.

Oh, and lattice.
  11. Maxi'sProteinPowder

LOL what server is this! wish i could shoot guys that easy, all the smart ones stay on angles and shoot when you come out! LOL that is ridiculous....... I may have to swap to VS as well if NC are that dumb!
  12. HadesR

Because most fool's haven't realized you get more XP fighting other's than you do capping empty bases ... Now if you manage to take a base while fighting then it's a nice juicy bonus , but even without it you will end up with more XP than you would just capping empty ****.
  13. Allerious

That's not really doable anymore sadly. People now:
    1) Know that door can't be shot through with bullets, as so many in this video failed to understand
    2) Stand at angles that can't be seen from inside
    3) It's become fairly common knowledge that while grenade/tank/rocket aoe doesn't go through the door, c4/claymore explosion does - further limiting your potential FoV as you can't get too close to the doorway

On the plus side, at least during double XP week coming up it's clearly better to fight than ghost cap as base xp isn't doubled. Good fights ahead.
  14. SKYeXile

I have better footage than this from 2 days ago at alltuum biolab :p
  15. Allerious

Briggs, here I come!
  16. Maxi'sProteinPowder

No wonder were so crap "Its things like this that make me want to change Factions! Not that our guns are crap and all!
  17. ALeviathan

lemmings are sucked in getting the 1 or 2 guys left. Just before the base is gone, drop a couple of poxy mines spaced apart and just redeploy LOL. They all charge in, boom boom, 2-4 more kills and your gone.

Smart attackers wait until 10 sec's before entering after flip and let the lemmings cop any mines left.
    • Up x 1
  18. General Epeen

Good, good, let the tech flow through you....
  19. Arsinek

But in WAR youd actually get an opposing force of equal strength directly engaging you because territory capture was linear. In PS2 there might be an enemy zerg somewhere that could rival your zerg but they might not even be on your continent.
  20. Wahooo

One of those first in lemmings will normally toss a grenade just before he dies as well... Bonus TK to anyone that didn't get blowed up from the initial mine blast.