[Suggestion] Empire Specific CARBINES

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gundem, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Thardus

Change the VS one. Any amount of auto-aim is going to make people complain. Instead, just use the Planetside 1 Lasher. Large, slow moving projectiles, that "lash out" and damage enemy targets as they pass by. Same effect, no auto-aim whining.
  2. Gundem

I can completely see your concern. And I'm sorry that my little joke came across as it did, I tend to be highly sarcastic and it's not portrayed well in text format.

But otherwise, the NC Carbine would have an inferior TTK to a shotgun to prevent it from dominating in CQC because of it's raw DPS. This is something I specifically wanted to avoid. I don't want another CQC carbine clone that everyone complains about.

Now I see that you are concerned about it's nature, but I think you misinterpret it. Because of it's pellet nature, combined with the fact that it would have a fixed hipfire CoF, it would excel in urban combat because you would be able to remain mobile. Your foes would also suffer extreme flinch, something that most NC weapons get, so it would be even harder for them to aim.

Each of these weapons would deal less damage then any CQC weapons because they are supposed to, you need to out-maneuver your foes not out-shoot them.

Now about it not being a carbine, technically it would be, as any weapon with a short barrel and longer body is considered a Carbine. But in the PS2 world, we generally consider Carbines as a weapon class that has more accurate hipfire and faster reload but less effective at range, where as AR's are more accurate, slower reloading.

Also, you are kind of seeing it in the worst light possible. It would have less then Saw recoil, which isn't completely unmanageable in the first place, and 200 damage at medium range isn't half shabby either. Then add the fact that as a LA you are likely to engage from a rooftop or wall, you also gain the element of surprise, something SAW HA's don't have.

Sure, if you cherry-pick each stat, it is obviously far inferior to any other weapons. But if it had competitive stats, as well as superb moving accuracy, it would be hilariously OP.

And in the end, remember, this is just a rough draft, and in-game testing would need to be done to ensure maximum fairness. If the suggested damage model, which is only there to give a general idea of how it would perform, appears to be underwhelming even when used properly, it can easily be adjusted slightly to give it the edge it needs.

But I do thank you for your comments, as this idea can only go uphill from here, and everyone's criticize will help to shape each weapon into a more perfect gun. And I especially thank you for remaining calm, even when you were upset, as raging would only result in this thread heading strait to nanite hell.
    • Up x 1
  3. Gundem

PS1 Lasher is still auto-aim though. If the projectiles hit even if you aren't aiming, then it's pretty much the same as auto-aim. And it's really not even that strong, too. A good comparison I think is old console games Aimassist, where if your pointer was close enough you would hit anyway, but with an even further reduced effect. And remember, it would also have the highest TTK and lowest damage per magazine of the three. Plus, super obvious Lasher projectiles would completely remove any trace of "Stealth" available.
  4. Gundem

Well it kind of is...

Does Red Dakka Man not want moar Dakka?

I was pretty sure when I read the TR handbook that Dakka is love, Dakka is life.

Like seriously, suggest a minigun and you get TR hookers for free for life. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?
  5. RedArmy

if were doing ES carbines id like to fill some gaps in the guns i think need to be filled
    for the TR we need something with RoF between the Jag and Lynx maby around 800-845RPM - you just go from 750 n BAM 909....
    for the VS i think they need something to match the GD7F at 845 cuz they shouldnt out RoF by the NC, ever....
    for the NC anything with an underbarrel shotgun n they are happy
  6. Pelojian

new guns are nice provided they are different enough then existing ones in the same category, TR already has a couple of carbines that can have small CoF with the adv laser sight and they don't have spin up time so they can be fired anytime at max RPM.

by all means suggest new weapons, just try to make them so they actually add something to the selection and not just a gimmicky gun overlapping other guns that already perform well in that role.
  7. Gundem

It's not about having a tight CoF. This weapon would have a tight CoF while jumping, running, drifting, jetpacking, during sustained fire and even while being hit yourself. The point isn't to have high damage, it's to have high mobility, something all factions lack at the moment, as any weapon, even shotguns, are pretty much useless with the maxed out jumping CoF.

Just imagine drifting past a crowd, revved up, firing 900RPM with a 100 round box magazine, while actually hitting people. I don't know about you, but that sounds ******* awesome to me.

Plus the rev would be static, meaning .33 seconds of no firing and then maxiumum rate of fire, so it would help negate some of the issues of the current build-up RoF, where you have to give away your position both visually with muzzle flash, sound with your gun firing and on your minimap.
  8. Pelojian

there's a reason when using jetpacks that your cof blooms it's so you have jsut a hard a time of hitting enemies as they do while you are moving quickly.

people would whine about LAs using it more then people whine about ADS 0.75 and shotgun LAs in tower fights.

a fixed CoF weapon for LAs would be unbalanced, jetpack is a movement tool, having a worse CoF then usual while using jetpacks is the trade off which you wish to negate.
  9. Neo3602

Um the VS already have a carbine that shoots at 845 RoF it's called the Serpent VE92.
  10. EPIC389

Tin foil hat on:The TR needs a gun that flashbangs EVERYBODY when it fires. That would be funny(muahahahaha)

Tin foil hat off: Maybe give the VS something similar to the needler in halo. It hits the body doing very minor damage(maybe 50 or so) but then explodes with larger damage after a delay(maybe 100 or so dmg). No 'seeking' bullets either. The psychological effects would be interesting

Not sure for the NC

Just an opinion.

Maybe expand on it and tell me the faults
  11. Beerbeerbeer

I'm sick of NS weapons.

I like more weapons that have empire-specific traits. It gives me a reason to play different empires.

Enough of the safe common-pool guns. People will always whine about balance, but honestly, that just tells me there are cool differences instead if this great and ultra-boring homogenization we're going through now.

We don't want to all be grey.
  12. Gundem

With the ttk in PS2, any weapon that didn't deal enough flinch at least to throw off your opponent's aim would be pretty much worthless.

While the VS design was actually inspired by the Needler from Halo, having delayed explosives would be quite frustrating to fight, I can see already the whine that would be everyone who suddenly exploded a good second or two after they stomped that jittery LA.

Not to say it wouldn't be interesting, but really I hardly think the PS2 game engine could handle such a mechanic. With how bad hitreg is already :p
  13. Gundem

tot's gon' bump this, been long enough. Have it it, forumside!