EMP Grenades: Gamebreaking, OP, and cheap.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nejisaurus, Jan 23, 2016.

1. SpartanPsycho

What is the grenade spam directed towards, meaning what is the target of the grenades?
  2. Scr1nRusher

Grenade spam makes base fights way to crazy.
  3. SpartanPsycho

What is the grenade spam directed towards? As in its target?

You have not answered the clarified question.
  4. Brogan9001

Just spitballing an idea, maybe they could change it from a grenade to a remote charge that the user tosses? Like a stick of C4, but it gets tossed a bit further, as if the soldier were underhand tossing it. This way, the fact that it goes through walls changes from an annoying feature to an intuitive defensive or offensive measure. You could place some on the ceiling of a room, and catch the defenders of a point by surprise, the EMP going through the floor.

Again, just spitballing.
  5. Scr1nRusher

Infantry.
  6. Mustarde

EMP's have received two direct buffs since release, and I consider the nanite revamp a third buff when it was made to cost 25 nanites.

They were in a good place when the ability to destroy deployables and disable turrets was added in late 2014. This made infiltrator super useful for taking out motion spotters and beacons, as well as help clear rooms of mines. I've never had a specific problem with their AOE or direct detonation aspects. However when you take this all into account and consider their visual effect and the fact that they sap all infantry abilities and kill your shields, it is just too much in a single grenade.

And over time, more and more players and outfits are realizing that with enough EMP's you can kill almost any fight. And yes, while EMP shield is a counter - I don't consider it good game design that you almost are REQUIRED to use the EMP shield implant just to participate in a decent sized fight.

I think reverting the buff they had in early 2015 that allowed EMP's to sap infantry abilities (overshield, medic aura and LA jetpack), along with a price increase to 50 nanites is a good starting point. If they still create lots of problems, you could consider making grenade bandolier a single upgrade (similar to adrenaline pump) and allow a max of 2 grenades instead of 4.

I'll leave you all with this in closing:

• Up x 1
  7. The Shady Engineer

They also insta gib mines and make turrets crap the bed. A little too much F you power for a single grenade IMO. Not sure if enough to lockdown a 50/50 pop in their spawn room, that's kind of absurd, but definitely a lot of bang for the buck.
  8. Shiaari

What do vehicles have to do with infantry weapons' effect on infantry?

We're talking about a group of players who were somehow bested by another group of players of fairly equal number because the spawn room was trolled with EMP grenades.

That has nothing to do with vehicles, or the logic behind the vehicle/infantry balance, but rather the spamability of grenades in general.

Make all grenades cost 100 nanites. Still seeing grenade spam? Elevate the price to 150 nanites. Keep going until the grenade spam stops. Problem solved.
  9. Crayv

I think a good place to start is to remove the disabling your UI and the static effect.

When I throw EMPs I often just spam all 4 at a group of enemies. To see what this looks like I decided to just throw 4 of them at my feet and this is what it looked like.

[IMG]
  10. Scr1nRusher

Grenade Bandoleer should be removed.

That would kill grenade spawn for good.
  11. Turekson

I have to say I don't get how does the situation OP described differ from any other kind of spawn camping. Even at 50/50 pop you're going to have hard time coming out of the spawnroom when it is being camped. I really don't know does it matter much whether it is being peppered with EMP or frag grenades, it's doors mauled constantly by a few MBTs or a dozen MAXes or just surrounded by a platoon or few of plain old HAs.

Often the only way you're going to change the direction of the fight anyway is to rush out all together with enough people and try to swamp the campers, or to teleport/deploy to previous base/sundy/galaxy and mount an attack. I wouldn't say EMPs prevent these tactics more than other weapons. At least the EMPs don't kill anyone by themselves.

Any weapon is hard and annoying to fight against when they are used in a convenient spot in efficient numbers and in a opportunistic way, which is pretty much the blueprints for any successful tactic.
  12. XanIves

To balance EMP, EMP Shield implant needs to be removed, and tier 2 EMP shield effect bundled with maxed out flak armor, although it keeps the same visual effects vs Flak infantry. The Clear Vision implant should get the bonus of reducing the visual effect of an EMP grenade.

Now the EMP grenade has actual counters that aren't only pulled when getting utterly spammed by EMP, and even better, can be directly countered by by something other than an implant.
  13. SpartanPsycho

a -> b = c

vehicle weapons not "fun" -> nerfed = crappy infantry shooter

EMP not "fun" -> nerfed = even crappier infantry shooter

Grenades are counters to infantry, don't like it, play in vehicles.

Don't like it that this game isn't about your fun, it's about the fun had by me, the strategically thinking ice-cold balls-clanking commando keeping my team alive and taking out the enemy, go and screw yourself and your self-centered POV.

This game isn't about you, or a group of players that like a playstyle. It's about a war.

There aren't any nerfs in war.
  14. Shiaari

Ok, you are displaying general ignorance on the relationship between vehicles and infantry, and why that has nothing to do with the relationships within the infantry game by itself.

Vehicle weapons aren't usually nerfed to prop up the infantry game. The only times--to my knowledge--that has ever happened was the nerf to HE MBT main guns, and a few very specific nerfs to secondary weapons' splash damage to isolate them a little better to the vehicular combat role.

When a vehicle is therefore nerfed it is almost always to deal with balance issues inside the vehicle game, not a problem with the vehicle/infantry balance. That balance is most effectively enforced by the simple fact facility capture is exclusively an infantry game: Vehicles play outside, infantry plays inside.

It is that fact that enables this game to be combined arms, and not all vehicles all the time. I--personally--have always resented the redeploy feature. I think players should be forced to use vehicles to move long distances in a functional period of time, but you are sorely mistaken if you think vehicle balance has anything what so ever to do with the topic of this thread at all.

"Fun" is a subjective term, and you are abusing it. Being spawn camped is *never* fun, but we must always remember that it is not the game's fault players actually sit around being spawn camped. Remember, this is a combined arms game with an open world. Spawn camps happen because players forget that fact. That's why your logic doesn't fit here.

Gundem said it best:

15. Moridin6

so many whiners this week...

emp op
    amp op
    c4 op
    all nades op
    br100+ op

you guys suck, stop your complaining and learn to counter something via skills and-or tactics.
    stop trying to make the game foo foo rainbow land of infantry hugs
  16. CovertYank

Oh, that'd be a blessing of a plan. I'd pay $101.99 for that.

I mean, if only others would listen and do the same thing...

Seriously, there's no way in hell you can break a enemy zerg solo.

Suggested doing this to a HAMD platoon lead once during a VS Zerg. Got ignored.

I hate Connery sometimes.
  17. TheRunDown

I see so many Try Hard Infs using EMPs before any fight now days..
    Most of these guys are one trick ponies, and EMP Shield easily screws these noobs over..

Wish EMP shield actually protected your HUD/Vision too..
    Like Clear Vision sorta does.. if EMP Shield did what it said on the label, these EMP noobs wouldn't be a problem.
    These one trick ponies normally die after the first kill, or get a max of 4 kills to 1 life because they run out of nades..

Most of these nublets can't even aim..
    I have a tone of ShadowPlay recordings of me getting hit by EMPs, and I just run left and right continuously until they run out ammo in the clip.

I don't consider them a problem, it's more of a annoyance, but these players aren't any real threat, they'll kill me once, but I'll just come back with a new load out to kill them, and I'm yet to see one with a KDR over 1.5 or 2..
  18. Garrum

EMPs do too much, over too wide an area, with too little warning, too little cost, and too little counter. And they work through walls. They are literally the definition of overpowered.
  19. Drowingpool

Fine... I'll take 2 emps and 2 Stickys .....EMP/OP ....Whats a matter don't want play the game?.........You peeps whine and wine... "hic"
  20. Mianera