Emerald Has Turned Me Into A Curmudgeon

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheShrapnelKing, Oct 15, 2014.

1. TheShrapnelKing

I am aware I've made several threads in the past where I've *****ed about various things, usually the Emerald NC's incompetence and the terrible attitude of the Emerald VS. I'm also far more prone nowadays to taunting people in game. Let this be the last word on the matter: I stand by my statements, but after this thread I'm going to shut up about it, because I can't do anything about it. Consider this my final, and hopefully more reasonable, word.

My main point here has actually more to do with the server culture. See, I barely ever said anything in-game and I rarely whined and complained about anything when I was on Waterson. But since Emerald was formed, I am becoming more and more jaded with the experience - not with the game, but with the server. I'm not going to deny Emerald has the highest pop and thus is probably the best server in terms of epic fights, but I am not a fan of how things are conducted. And I'm not going to ***** about how the NC suck, I was wrong. They don't suck. I'm pretty sure the Emerald NC could kick the **** out of the NC from any other server. The problem is a difference in mindset.

Why do the TR and NC prefer to fight each other (except today, where we ganged up on the VS on Indar for once)? Simple: the NC and TR aren't tryhards. They play for fun. They play for the thrill of the fight. NC/TR fights tend to be evenly popped and go on for a good length of time, I rather enjoy them. They remind me, well, of Waterson. Not much going on in the chat, even fights, little in the way of abuse of mechanics or farming. It's a pleasant experience.

But the Emerald VS do not care about that, from what I can see. They want to win: alerts, bases, firefights, whatever it is, the mindset of that faction is: win the fight, as fast as possible, in any way possible. That means always trying to outpop the opponent - not helped by the fact that the VS are quite capable of defending a base while outnumbered as well - using farming tactics to kill as many people as possible as fast as possible so they can't oppose a base capture, obligatory PPA spam, abuse of the Lancer's infinite range, etc. I'm not condemning you - you hear that? I was wrong to condemn you. I've always said this should be a game where you're free to play however you want, so there's nothing wrong with what you're doing. The game allows for it, so it's fine. I will not, however, back down from condemning your attitude. Most of you are fine, but this winners attitude of yours causes quite a number of you to act like elitist *********.

What causes me and probably other less vocal people to get so irritated playing on Emerald is that the playstyles are not compatible. If the TR and NC don't tryhard, which they usually don't, then VS typically win all their engagements. The NC and TR, however, do not WANT to play like the VS - I know I don't - and since this means they constantly lose to the VS, they simply give up and go fight each other.

Indeed, the reason I am so pissed all the time is self inflicted: I stubbornly refuse to go fight the TR all the time and instead force myself to fight the VS almost all of the time, because somebody needs to and I keep hoping one of these days we'll get the better of you and I can laugh at you finally being put in your place. We never do, but that's just me being stubborn. Thus most of the bases I go to I do not capture/defend successfully, because VS organization and will to win is so effective. This constant losing is what's made me so pissy. I fully admit that is my problem.

I have no idea what the solution is. At this point, despite whatever others claim to the contrary, the server is basically Mattherson with more people. And I hated Mattherson. But now I don't have Waterson to escape to, so I'm stuck here. And it's basically turning me into a worse player to be around. You can of course blame me entirely since I don't actually have to complain about this, I could just never talk about it. But the thing is, I do not want to, as the VS always say, "Git gud." Not only am I not capable of becoming good enough to compete with the large cadre of highly-skilled VS players (many of whom have been poached form other factions because they want to be more competitive and the VS provides that), but I have neither the will, ability or patience to try and organize my faction. I don't give a ****, and a lot of other people don't either - that's why they run away from you. At this point I'm almost hoping SOE ***** up something really bad, but that only pisses off the really good players so they all leave. Then us casuals can go back to shooting each other continually in the same hex for 2 hours - because that, to many of us, is far more entertaining than getting continually steamrolled by the coordinated, unstoppable VS juggernaut.

TL;DR: You have every right to play however you want and try to win as hard as you can. But don't be surprised if, like on a children's playground, everyone else doesn't want to play with you anymore.
    • Up x 23
  2. KiakoLalene

Well said.
    • Up x 2
  3. Nehlis

Waterson was the good server? All hail Jaegerites!!!
    • Up x 5
  4. Schizomatic

Oh, it's you! I almost forgot about that time I TKed you with a frag grenade when I was playing NC a while back. Irony!

I'd apologize for every TK I make with frags, but there's so many!
  5. zuka7

Emerald is probably most competitive server and you should be proud of that. If VS chat annoys you just turn it off or don't take it personally. Maybe you should take brake.
    • Up x 2
  6. Nehlis

Wait, we are? I don't play competitively at all, being a BR 69 (Ha Ha immaturity) and all.
    Did Matterson do this to us? I started off as a Jaeger, and things were good, then it was Waterson, which was apparently the "good" server.
  7. TheShrapnelKing

When we're actually doing competitions, like ServerSmash, fine. I don't want that kind of attitude when I'm just playing live.
  8. Arghy

I see you took my advice haha "/y why dont you make a post about it?"

It was awesome to finally see TR/NC work together though i suspect it was just indar being a horrible cont. It was awesome gambling 3 bases to take hollowing pass from TR then we took it and saved all 3 bases haha. Watching 96+ TR/NC on 4 fronts was also pretty hilarious but thats just because indar is such a stupid cont where you have zero chance of pushing the north since your only damn front is indar com/ex and quartz/allatum.

Don't fight it, your way of playing is wrong and SS is showing you that, embrace the cannon server that is emerald. Winning is everything--if it feels good do it. Throw aside your prepubescent NC ways of 'good fights', its time you became a man and celebrated the fruits of men. Those fruits are crushing your enemy and feeling his sweet fruits then taking those fruits from him. Grab the fruit of your fellow man and enjoy the power it gives you.

I've started preaching about the time of testing where VS must withstand the test of god emperor higby with only the chosen remaining, redeploying to every base and crushing all alerts. Come at me TR, come at my NC. Come at me bros, for god is on my side and redeploy is his creed, Insha'allah.
    • Up x 2
  9. Schizomatic

Amen!
  10. Negator

The first step is to JOIN A REAL OUTFIT AN STOP BEING A SOLO ****TER.
    • Up x 1
  11. Negator

Also, thats fine. we'll come to you. warpgate, nc/tr fight, biolabs, anywhere. remember, lancers can touch anything.
  12. zuka7

So it's ok for Emerald to be undefeated in server smash which consists of outfits from all three factions not just VS. But it is not ok when you loose when playing NC on Emerald and therefore all good players and leaders should be exiled by some **** up update just so you can have fights that you believe would be better in a three way fight?
  13. Badname707

Do you sincerely want to see things get better for the NC, Shrap? Would you be a part of that process?
  14. TheShrapnelKing

You clearly missed the part where I said I don't give a ****.
  15. TheShrapnelKing

I have no leadership abilities to speak of. Hell, I could barely give anyone a tutorial since all I know is infantry.

Plus every previous attempt to improve the NC ended in failure so I've given up on that at this point.
  16. Solidpew

While the VS do display better faction coordination, they have their share of lane pushing platoons and unorganized players. Clashing against them with your own organized force provides a pretty fun experience. I'll share my perspective on it:

~
    The VS on Emerald usually have a high pop late at night. I'm on the West Coast, so if I'm on between 9 PM to 12 AM, I can expect the VS to have a higher population. This means there are a plethora of bases to choose from when on NC or TR. It's even better when they're hitting a tower. If the fight is not to your liking, then there's always redeploy.

So yes, there may be times when you feel like the VS are sucking the fun from the game, but for others this creates opportunities. Those are fun and rewarding.
    ~

Also, having a team enhances the experience tenfold- even against the VS. It's important not to think that the VS are there to ruin our fun because it'll only make the game less fun for you. At the end of the day, just shoot 'em because they die all the same. ;)
  17. TheShrapnelKing

Basically I think I need to train myself with a new mindset.

I'm not going to try to organize anyone, no such attempt has ever worked, the VS aren't going to just stop what they're doing, so this is the only solution.

I need to completely detach myself from even being concerned about winning the given fight and simply relish in the raw fighting, regardless of who wins or has more guys or whatever. Disregard what my team is doing, disregard what the enemy is doing, and above all try not to care whatsoever that the VS is probably winning. Just kill them. Take pleasure solely in that, while ignoring how badly they pwn me, and I should be fine.
    • Up x 3
  18. Badname707

You are a frequent and vocal forumsider. There is a greater need for people like you than you'd think.

I'd also like you to rethink your statement concerning the success of attempts to organize. Yes, they've all lacked longevity. However, you miss Waterson, yes? It was not always a pleasant server.
    • Up x 1
  19. Umrtvovacz

That's really well said. The thing is, very similar situation is on Miller now, and used to be same on Woodman with KOTV Vanu zergfit. The VS whine about not enough good fights, yet they taunt us when they win 75/25 fight. I feel like they abuse some effective weapons too much. It's annoying to be on a receiving end of their tools and weapons. Most TR and NC tend to avoid Vanu and just fight red/blue.

As I and my outfit mates are "tryhards" we fight VS and TR about the same. But I have more deaths from VS than TR, but I also kill more TR than VS. Go figure.
  20. Pineapple Pizza!

I dunno why people enjoy playing 'team games' like battlefield 3 and this thing, without really giving a flying fxvkor about their teammates. Why play this, instead of collar duty or quake ffa or something, where you can shoot mans without being a wasted continent slot / free certs for VS?