Dx 10.1 compatibility

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by IVANPIDORVAN, May 20, 2019.

1. IVANPIDORVAN

Since dx11 update i am patiently waiting all this time when devs implement Dx switch inside game launcher so i can rejoice and play again. "internet" says what it's clearly no big difference between dx 10.1 and 11

My GPU support only 10.1 version.

But actually my computer still able to run this game and even reach 60+fps at warpgates.
    So game for me look like this: https://imgur.com/fThMLGB
    [IMG]

And i tried "infravision" exeptional implant what changed it to this: https://imgur.com/a/CAa400k
    [IMG]

After that i spoted funny thing, if i gaze through any terminal the enviroment
    will look completely normal (for infravision user): https://imgur.com/a/rfJbmqS
    [IMG]

So can i expect any changes? Or at least can you make some tweaks to infravision so it will always work like on 3rd screenshot? I really don't know what to do, i even ready to play like this in black and white colour scheme.

p.s. yep, i created new character and managed to escape from tutorial zone using map and memories only
  2. FIN Faravid

I think they should be more interested in DX12 and Vulkan rather than DX10.1.
    Implementing DX10.1 might either take long time and thus resources and money, or it might just otherwise be problematic and cause more issues than it is worth. More stuff they add, more bugs and problems there will be, that is just how coding works in practice. And since there is "clearly no big difference between DX10.1 and DX11", it would not be worth spending few resources they have on it. It is much better to spend resources on Dx12 and/or Vulkan, though ofc first they can still hugely improve Dx11. Over time DX12 and Vulkan are getting better and difference between them and Dx11 will become bigger and bigger, sometimes it already is big difference especially to Amd users, though properly optimized DX11 is better than badly optimized DX12.

I did not even know DX 10.1 exists. I have never heard about it being used. If you have so old GPU that it does not support DX11, it is time to upgrade. Its not about being elitist at that point. Considering how most of the old cards support DX11, you propably can find used one for cheap price that is still better than your current one.
  3. KamakaziChimp

When planetside 2 Launched I was using an EVGA GTX 770 SC 4gb card and getting 50ish FPS in large fights at the crown (Back when the crown would remain contested for 2-3 days in a row with 200+ people per faction fighting over it) on 1080P. Can find those cards on ebay anywhere from $25-50 in great condition. Post update the card is getting 70fps in similarly scaled fights despite it's age.
  4. Towie

Possibly - although DX12 will restrict the player base to Windows 10 and we can already see people with older rigs being constrained by DX11 (like the OP). Moving from DX11 to DX12 (or Vulkan for that matter) is non-trivial - and the only true benefit is much better multi-threading, so todays many-core CPUs would benefit the most.

Hardware tessellation comes with DX11 - increases the eye-candy and moves a big workload off the CPU. This is significant.

Agreed.
  5. Luna12

It was released with Windows Vista, which I hope you've never had to use, and as such a lot of people didn't have access to it because they didn't want that buggy mess of an OS. By the time that Windows 7 was released Microsoft came with Directx 11 already, which was basically an upgrade, so at that point game development basically skipped straight to Directx 11.