Drifter Jumpjet changes and new Icarus Jumpjets now on Test server

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by BBurness, Jan 27, 2015.

1. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Hey, quit stealing my idea for MAX JJs! :D
    Or wait, don't. That's totally a good idea. :)
    As for the Icarus: They are immensely fun, makes me regret barely having used them in Alpha.
    Now, I suppose they can't be faster due to hitbox desync, but I would appreciate around 10% more fuel.
    Nothing more, really, speed is a reward of it's own. Well, I haven't tested sustained use, so can't really talk about recharge.
    And why not have Adrenal Pump provide half it's bonus to Jet speed, as others have suggested?
  2. Problem Officer

It's a JUMP jump jet!
  3. DashRendar

Really fing excited for Icarus Jets. Came here just to say that. However, after formal statistics based testing, I have some critique. Drifter Jets seem A-OK 100%. Icarus Jets could use more UP. They are the Jets which should be the best at UP, yet they have the least. On a full burn, Drifter Jets can gain an altitude of 42m, Jump Jets 28m, and Icarus Jets just 19m. If I remember correctly back to when they were originally in the game, they were removed because C4 was too OP, but now that has been fixed and is no longer the game breaking issue it once was.

As for the Icarus Jets themselves, the maneuverability loss is already very apparent, and is an understood weakness of the platform, but where is the strength? So far its only strength seems to be its regeneration, but they're not called Regen-Jets, are they? At this point, the acceleration over Standard JJ is very fun, but the altitude leaves one desiring more, as it can't scale many of the commonly found walls/structures throughout the game. A full burn does not give the height that one would desire out of the one jet pack that sacrifices all else to attain it. I would be happy to see the Icarus altitude capability between that of the Standard JJ and Drifters, just because the Drifters take forever to get there, so it's completely understandable that they can attain greater heights due to being more situational. From 19m, I believe the Icarus Jets should be able to attain heights of around 33m on a full burn, which would put it between the standard Jump Jets, and the Drifter Jets.

Jump Jets - 28m
    Icarus Jets - 33m
    Drifter Jets - 42m

VERY happy to see these making a comeback. Just wish they had greater V-Thrust strength is all.
  4. IvanCGray

Completely agreed ^

-AND- to achieve this, leave the fuel amount the same, and simply increase the velocity; differentiate them from the other jets. Slightly faster regeneration would also be appreciated.
  5. UnDeaD_CyBorG

The velocity is what got them removed in the first place, due to desyncing hitboxes. So that's probably not happening.
    Also, they don't need to jump higher than regular jets.
    The same height would already be good enough.
    If Drifters are fine getting higher because they take longer, then the speed of Icarus Jets should logically be counted as an advantage to be counterbalanced by their lack of other features.
  6. NexusOfCrisis

Wow... I might actually use the Drifter jets if this sticks but I agree with some others as far as the Icarus jets go. If the intended purpose is to gain altitude rapidly at the expense of control; wouldn't it make sense that they be able to at least match, if not surpass the max altitude of standard Jump jets? As it stands they fall about 3 meters short from the standard jump jets. I like the speed but losing both control and altitude is cutting of to many limbs for my taste. My opinion is either increase the max altitude to surpass the standard jests (or match the Drifters max), or remove the control restriction altogether. How much steering can you really do in a 2 second burn anyhow.

I would hate to see Drifters finally become usable only to have them replaced by an equally unused alternative.