Drifter Jump Jets = Best Light Assault Invention Evar?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Wrel, May 19, 2013.

1. Wolfwood82

Listen, I've watched the video, read the OP, and made my response. Summarizing the same points over and over isn't going to prove anything other then the fact that you shouldn't get involved in an actual discussion.

The video showed nothing that hasn't been shown before. It brought no new insights nor provided any new points to the argument. Level 1 JJs provide infinitely more useful tools to LA then DJs.
  2. Wolfwood82

DJs require an elevated surface in order for them to use their maximum potential. That bug is virtually the only way you could achieve any level of elevation in many areas (including the Biolab), hence a large part of your argument is still based on a bug exploit.

The only other ways to achieve that elevation are with the sacrifice of expensive air vehicles (or a friend with a lib/gal), or long detours.

Drifters are situational because of the requirements placed on them in order to perform at the peak of their ability. It does not matter what your personal opinion is, you can't get around that simple fact. JJs don't have any such requirements, you can use them to their full potential anywhere at any time without a second thought. You can drift for about 5-10 seconds at level 6 which is far enough for most situations, and can change elevations during those 5-10 seconds. And getting the hang of control in stressful situations lets you perform many of the maneuvers often exonerated by DJ enthusiasts such as yourself.

Yes fuel is a problem for JJs, but unless you have a very specific goal in mind or use a very specific play style (that relies heavily on a bug or aerospace resources), they are still better then DJs in the long run. In other words you're better off with JJs unless you fly aircraft a lot and don't mind giving up repair tools for the DJs. Situational.
  3. metrotw

Just a quick thought since you seem to think you need a plane to get to higher positions...Ever hear of spawn beacons, squad deploy and well placed sundys?

You are very quick to criticize drifters as only being useful if you exploit a "bug"..which no dev has ever even confirmed is a "bug" as being the only way to get to an elevated position other than bailing out of an aircraft...and i'm telling you as someone who undoubtedly has way more playtime that you couldn't be more wrong.

The bottom line is this: If you are a serious LA player and don't have BOTH jets maxed out and learn how to use BOTH properly then you're a ******* **** player.
  4. Wrel Developer

I was unaware that my video was supposed to add to an invisible debate held somewhere. And here I thought I was making an informative video for those who were interested in learning more about Drifter Jump Jets or were seeking the opinions of another experienced player.

Wrong. Practically anywhere you fight has an elevated surface. Unless you're stuck trudging through the plains of Esamir, there is always verticality nearby to be used to your advantage in some way. Even jumping as you activate Drifters gives you enough height on flat ground to outpace your normal movement over time.

I think this is what you're actually basing your argument on, and why it is flawed.

Does "peak ability" mean sitting in a full 30 second hover while attempting to drop C-4 on someone?
    Then yes, I understand where you can think that Drifters are underperforming. Because based on 'your' requirements, they would indeed require a jump pad, lift, or air vehicle.

Or is their "peak ability" the versatility that they provide to you on every front? The movement speed alone (which trumps 20% when swinging corners) is reason alone for me to use them over standard Jump Jets, if I'm working a ground game.

(See: Drifter Ground Game.)

If that's the case, Jump Jets don't really do a whole lot for me, do they? They'll help me get on top of a roof somewhere, if I feel like camping or working multiple levels. But for the overall mobility to compliment my ground game? Not so much.

So please, define "peak ability" so that we can put your thoughts into context, and clear up this whole mess.
  5. Benlisted

The conceptualisation of Drifters alone as "situational" is something that confuses me. Sure, in situations where you need to rapidly climb something JJs would be better, but what about when you need to cross a canyon, swoop behind enemy lines to drop C4/shoot them in the back, or similar? They're BOTH situational by the very definition of the word - JJs are generally better indoors and in built up places, whilst drifters excel in more open terrain and valleys, etc.

You can't even argue that the climbing enabling makes JJs non-situational in that its always useful - a 20% movement speed buff is nothing if not always useful as well..
  6. Achmed20

awesome! I havn't been here like 4 months or so, you are still claiming it's a bug and yet you (probably) failed to deliver any evidence (like a dev saying "it is!").

but i'd give you that, you are persistent in your believings ^^
  7. Joe_da_cro

i have both DJ and JJ maxed and have used both extensively. (BTW nice video showcasing DJs) I will say both have their advantages and disadvantages and its pretty obvious where these lie. i originally started using drifter jets more and for the last month have been using jump jets more. what this comes down to is play style. now when you play with drifters you are essentially sizing everything up so that you can use the drifters to get height and movement speed. So with this it takes quick decision making while playing on top of other things. Drifter are also best used as stalking tools. where you hover over targets and drop behind them for a easy kill.

with jump jets there is much less sizing up and decision making is alot more forgiving when using the jump jets. also i find jump jets are far more useful in CQC as you can jump over people which throw alot of people off when they are shooting at you especially if they ads. while with drifters you can do this too it is alot harder as you have to use the drift to strafe around instead of over the top. i find also when using the DJ to strafe around in CQC that you often loose ground between your target and its difficult to recover. In essence DJ are ok for CQC you just need the room to move where as JJ you can CQC anywhere and even have multiple people distracted on you before you go down.
  8. Kronic

Drifters aren't for me really. Too many times where I simple wanna get on top of a building and run into the door the enemy are going into to flank them, which I can't with drifters without exposing myself in the air for ages and/or faffing around trying to find an elevated position to get on the roof in the first place. Not only that but they're just not as good as JJs in built up areas. JJs just suit my run and gun aggressive playstyle basically.

Edit: Good vid though mate, didn't think of the spiderman thing :)
  9. simmi1717

Unlocked the last level and tried using it. Very useful at Amp stations, bio labs and towers for killing tanks.
  10. Mythicrose12

The video itself is nice but I'll have to agree with Wolfwood that there isn't any new insight added to drifters. New players that haven't seen other drifter videos will benefit, no doubt. I've got everything completely certed on my LA except for weapons. Drifters are not bad, but are far more situational than jump jets for my play style. There are few times when I have jump jets equipped that I wish I would've have drifters. Conversely, there are many times where I've had the drifters equipped and wished I had jump jets.

The biggest drawback to drifters (besides not having the same verticle lift acceleration as JJ if you need to go "up") is the cert investment needed before the drifters really become useful (ie last few ranks). Jump jets are useful right from the start and noticabley better even with lower ranks certed.
  11. simmi1717

Have killed way more tanks with the drifters than I ever could with the jump jets. Wow just yesterday I eliminated 11 TR tanks at the bio lab using drifters after jumping from the jump pads. They were scattered all over the place and had no idea I was above them. These things are ridiculously amazing in the right situation. And right after I killed the tank, there is still time to hover and shoot down grenades from underbarrel launcher and then finally come to the ground to take out a couple more people before they finally notice you and kill you. Holy Sh*t I love it.
    • Up x 2
  12. metrotw

You are on your way to learning the power that drifters hold. Keep experimenting. ;)

Here is a tip at the biolabs...hit the jump pad on one of the landing platforms and IMMEDIATELY hold space and steer the momentum with your movement keys..you'll be amazed at what kind of angles and such you can pull off with practice. The possibilities are endless. Once you have this concept down try it anywhere else you can get a boost from the pads..like say amp stations, the new crown layout, howling pass....;) ;) ;)
  13. Farlion

Drifter Jump Jets completely kill the only thing that makes our class good. Not sure why anyone would use them.
  14. Compass

Who dares, wins blows up a flying Liberator.

Who dares, wins blows up a flying Scythe and a tank.

15. Farlion

As nice as that was, it just proves my point.
    And for the record, Jump Jets could have done that too.
  16. HeadshotVictim

I have DJ 5 and tried to use them.
    But they don't give me the mobility I want or need.
    It takes about 20 seconds to get over a wall I could just hop over in 3-4 seconds with JJ6.
    I am not fighting much at BioLabs or AirTowerBases.
    Sometimes attacking AmpStations and such.
    When you are IN the AmpStation and able to use the JumpPads the Drifters are good. When you are in a flat area Drifters are pretty bad in my opinion. You get a little extra speed but you loose a whole axis of movement.
    Trying to close the distance to a base and getting shot by a sniper is pretty good example.
    With drifters you get some extra speed and glide forwards - sniper is most likely to shoot you
    With JumpJets you can make pretty weird jumps hard to predict and you can jump over big boulders, walls and stuff.
    Drifters make me feel like an ammo-restricted Engineer without a repair tool.

Wrels video is good. But he is wrong at one point:
    You can steady the aim with the IR/NV scope but the CoF is still the same as jumping. With a shotgun on short ranges, that won't make big difference, using a carbine (AC-X11 for example) is completely impossible. Even with a GD-7F it is nearly impossible to get proper hits while Drifting.

After a week or so of trying to get the hang on the Drifter Jets I have to say that I don't like them as my standard load-out. They have at certain locations and certain set-up their moments to shine.
    For everyday use I'd recommend JJ6.

PS: Wolfwood82 is a worse troll than me btw. ...
  17. Wrel Developer

You're mistaken. I said that you're using your jumping hipfire cone of fire while drifting, even while aiming down sights. But while ADSing, your cone of fire doesn't bloom as it would if you were hipfiring.

I understand where you're coming from, and it all comes down to playstyle. You may "lose" a whole axis of movement while using Drifters, like you mention, but you gain mobility and versatility in the other two.

I can't stand using standard jump jets aside from very specific locations or purposes. You're just so slow while using standard jets, in any axis, it doesn't complement my ground game at all.
  18. HeadshotVictim

okay, I was mistaken... sorry 'bout that.

It didn't felt like getting much more mobility on the ground... perhaps I should just stick to JJ :D
    And use Drifters when needed... I just like to hop on roofs, over boulders and walls quickly (it is doable with drifter jets as well, but it takes ages to climb a wall ...)
  19. Hagestol

The problem with DJs is that they are quite useless before last level, but at the last level they are awesome. There is a complete tatical shift between the second last and last rank.

My only problem is speed. I seem to get shot down 50% of the times I try to drift from towers.