Drifter Jets (or how i failed)

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Achmed20, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Achmed20

I was just saving some certs to get myself the second jump jets and make myself a better LA.
    oh i could allready imagine the joy of rocketing skyhigh and reach places no LA has ever reached before.
    well that was before i figured out that i just bought myself some rather strange to use drifter jumpjets instead of the Icarus ones. dunno why but i realy tought that they are the icarues jets and not drifters.
    Lesson learned: Reading actualy IS usefull.

anyway, since i have these things now, can some1 tell me what to do with them? they feel utter useless to me and force me into a playstyle i just dont get (yet).
    They are way faster which is nice, but since they dont even have the slightest upward momentum, i need to jump my ways up and contribute absolutly nothing when it comes to avoiding damage.
    so ... what are they used for?

PS: used for NOW, in beta they seemed to be way more powerfull (based on old YT videos)
  2. Mazzio

I tried max level drifters in beta and found a them useful, but situational. Drifters are not particularly liked among the LA playerbase as they essentially force you to change your playstyle dramatically by switching tactical mobility with strategic mobility. You wont be using them to climb up rocks and buildings to attack players from different angles, but bypassing whole enemy frontlines through drifting and attacking them from behind, destroying their sunderers and capping their spawn points. Next time while defending Tech Plant, Biodome or Amp Station, get to the high point and look at a spot from the map where you want to be. It's almost guaranteed that you can drift to that point and surprise your enemies. Dont forget to bring a long-range weapon with you!
  3. Dovahkiin

Drifters + Galaxy drop = SUPRISE MOTHERF**KERS!

In other words, join a platoon, get in a galaxy and jump off when over an enemy base.
  4. derito

I tried the drifter in beta and it was incredibly fun in amp stations when used to change your direction after using a jump-pad.
  5. Achmed20

Agreed it is fun, but i still cant see how it is usefull to me. especialy since they still descend over time. otherwhise they would be way bigger asset for me.
    this way i just have to constantly jump arroud (bunny hopping horay XD) and search for a place where i can jump off.

whats nice about them is that you can still climp up mountains. i didtnt thougth this would work.

edit: Switching directions doesnt seem to work. u barley get forward momentum once stoped/turned in air
  6. Trenyt

I don't see their use at all either. I mean in my mind combat mobility is the light assaults only saving grace and Drifter jets only get you to the fight and don't really offer anything during it. To be honest I'm a firm advocate of merging both jet s and having the high speed drifter function on something of a charged cooldown. I haven't seen anyone so far use Drifters.
  7. Ties

I totally agree, I see no real practical use to these except jumping off the crown for christmas.
  8. StrangerDanger

Its strange, and perhaps im missing what drifter jets really do....i just use my standard jetpack to "drift" before hitting the ground.

My guess would be that drifter jets can allow you to jump from a mountain or transport plane and drift across the map as you fall...which might be fun...seems most fights you want to be as an LA is indoors and in those situation you need the standard to be mobile.
  9. Lakora

Drifter Jets should be renamed Glider Jets since that's basically what they allow you to do...

When I think Drifter Jets I think of jets that allow you to literally do a 90 degree turn without slowing you down to much.
  10. Achmed20

if they had the same function like sliding in tribes has, then id totaly use em :D
  11. Ethernalvoid

A little question: the upgrades do other thing besides increase the flying time? (for example increase the movement speed?)
  12. Achmed20

cant tell but i guess not. it didnt in beta and probably wont now.
    in beta theye were quite usefull because with proper energy management and a good staring point, they could fly you across half the map (felt like it at least). but you cant do this anymore because all jets instantly eat up 2 energy bars just by activating them.
  13. Ethernalvoid

I think if the drifter jetpack get a speed boost it becomes useful like the base jetpack. With more speed it can help a lot to plant c4 on tanks and it assumes a new role ^^
  14. Achmed20

excelent idea.
    but it realy should get rid of the descending then too, cause curretnly you can hover like 5m when you use it.
  15. Mogi67

i think the drifters are great. i use them all the time to zip around behind buildings and confuse the hell out of enemy infantry. they're great for flanking
  16. ThElement078

What they should do is allow the drifter jets to still work even after you hit the ground, so you will travel faster (as said in another post, just like in tribes ascend)
  17. Achmed20

care to make a little video of it?
    i realy fail to see their use and i appriciate any tips to use them right :D