[BUG] Drifter jets and their arch enemy - ledges

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by aoyagiaichou, Aug 17, 2014.

1. aoyagiaichou

Everyone who has ever climbed with drifter jets a couple of times probably knows this: when you are just about to get over a ledge, jets overheating, running red, the game for some unfathomable reason decides that the player is actually half a meter lower and teleports him/her a bit lower. When the player proceeds to stubbornly continue with attempts to conquer the ledge (or decides to try another ledge nearby), he/she ends up warped down again and again. This generally happens to (not only) me when there's a lot of people around.

Is this ever getting fixed, or should I acquire sedatives for whenever I play light assault?

And by the way, didn't they nerf the drifter jets? It felt like I was ascending much faster than I used to when going full steam ahead.
  2. Rovertoo

You'll have to tell me what you see in Drifters in the first place, I just can't really figure out how to use them.
  3. Fned

They did something to tweak drift jet climbing; I find I climb a lot slower unless I turn 45 degrees to the wall and hold both forward and a strafe key.
  4. aoyagiaichou

What I see in it is ... fun? It gets me to places in a different manner than jump jets. And people rarely use it. It's more challenging while still providing an advantage. Of course, I'd like to see a speed buff, but fixing this annoyance would do.

I think that part has been there for a while and it's only a minor issue, but the ledge drops have been here ever since I can remember. It's just so frustrating, imagine slowly climbing up a wall just to find out at the top that you can't get on the flat surface because of some bug. Every day.

PS: Tell Mr. Brecher that "real" isn't interchangeable with "really". ^^
  5. BurntDevil

Between the unreliable ground effect usage and the ledges, drifter malfunctions can really kill my fun for a night. Could certainly use some tweaks to make it more reliable to use.
  6. OldMaster80

Drifters are imho one of those things that need to be changed. Beside the bugs drifters offer too little benefits compared to standard jumpjets. Skating on the ground for instance is useless it's as fast as sprinting.
    Drifters should at least give no accuracy penalty. At least we could skate and fight dffectively.
  7. Fned

It's actually rather faster than sprinting on a straight-line shot. I've tested it a bunch of times on bridges and the like, once you get up to speed it's like 20% faster.You just can't turn well.

I found out recently also that when going up slopes it's a good idea to hit the sprint key, you seem to be able to go up stairs and small rises quicker that way (holding crouch still works best on flat ground). If you stay crouched up a long enough slope you'll slow down to slower than sprint speed (unless of course the slope is steeper than you can run up). Likewise, if you hold sprint too long on flat ground (instead of crouch), you'll "stick" on the ground every few seconds. It's weird.
  8. Shootybob

The original issue seems like it might be a packet loss/ latency/server strain issue. I haven't noticed too many issues overcoming ledges

Pardon my lack of shame, but this is why I like to drift:
  9. Rovertoo

Hmm... tha'ts pretty cool, I gotta say. I'm gonna give them a run. I think making it so we could ADS while flying would be a good change though, that way we aren't relegated to only explosives while midair.
  10. Shootybob

Before the change one of my favorite things to do was fly around spotting people with the nv scope like a military drone. I shoot down quite a few esfs "with help". I suggest either a high capacity shotgun or carbine with advanced laser.
  11. aoyagiaichou

Yeah... I never use C4 :S