[Suggestion] Double Rail Attachments For Weapons With Underbarrel Options

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nighda Venesis, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Nighda Venesis

At the moment it seems like the S variants and other weapons with underbarrel shotgun or launcher attachment options seem kind of sub par compared to other weapons simply because they usually have higher ThTTK values. Weapons like the Arbalest and Yumi are exceptions but practically their TTKs are higher. It might be worth having a Punisher style rail slot where you can have an underbarrel option as well as a regular rail attachment so regular operation is aided through a laser sight or forward grip while also having the versatility from an underbarrel. After all, S variant weapons were made for versatility. They already have more firing modes, but this is superficial versatility at best in my opinion, and I think this change would be beneficial for weapon balance without increasing spam too much, since the people who are running S variants already would likely be doing so for the underbarrel options anyway.

This could potentially call for a bit of balancing work for the underbarrel options themselves but overall I think this would be a good balance change for all the guns in question.

Hope this is considered, please let me know what you think
    • Up x 3
  2. JustGotSuspended

Yeah this shouldve been a thing as soon as the punisher released. Also increase the ammo pool a bit for the nades so it's actually somewhat useable.
  3. Broffensive

Just make equipping both increase your cone of fire or equip time. Either would make sense and justify the utility of two attachments in the slot.
  4. Botji

A bit surprised to see people actually wanting more grenade spam in the game, isnt it bad enough already as it is?

As for the S variants my personal opinion is that people are simply not giving them the chance and too busy looking at RPM/damage to take them for what they offer which is really good customization and a really good base spread/recoil pattern, they are like laser pointers and any DPS you lose from a lot of other variants are made up for the insane accuracy they give you on top of whatever else you decide to bring with it, grenade launcher, shotgun, smoke or perhaps a laser sight and not have to ADS most of the time and just run n gun?

**Edit**
    Also worth noting is that the Punisher does not get the big boy UBGL grenades but a weaker variant so I would assume that any weapon that got the same double attachments would suffer the same fate.
  5. RiP0k

The most spam now comes from NSO MAX.
  6. Clone117

Wouldnt mind beingable to stick both a laser sight and darklight flash light on the same gun and have em both turned on at the same time.
    • Up x 1
  7. Demigan

I think its a good idea, but would prefer making UB attachments less of a liability. You basically sacrifice your TTK by picking S variant, then sacrifice an omniversally good option like laser sight for a more niche option, an option that leaves you very vulnerable when you switch, fire and switch again. This makes it an incredibly niche item to equip and use.

Instead we should just make UB attachments fireable instantly, no switching required. Lets say X fires the UB attachment, pressing X again reloads it. It uses the COF of your weapon during firing and adds a large COF+recoil upon firing.
    That would still mean these weapons are very powerful, but the UB shotgun would be plenty powerful if it dealt 500 to 750 damage for a single full hit for example if you could fire it at any point during combat. Similarly the UB grenade launcher would be plenty powerful if it dealt less direct damage so you can't OHK anymore but can use it as a great finisher or to flush enemies out of cover.

That way UB weapons aren't a liability, but truly enhance the versatility of a weapon. It also means the accessability makes it less niche, compensating for the lost accuracy for not picking laser sights or similar.
    • Up x 1
  8. BlackFox

Or turning the flashlight into a default feature build into the armor (Like in games like Half Life, Killing Floor, etc.) instead having it attached to the gun
  9. LordAnnihilator

If they also fixed the darklight flashlight so it wasn't utterly broken, I'd be down. Might shut up some of the people who constantly complain about infils without offering sensible solutions to fix things.
  10. BlackFox

Having options that aren't a downside for using would be better though. (IR sights revealing cloaked enemies for example)
    • Up x 1
  11. LordAnnihilator

I believe we had that, but they got rid of it. IDK, that would be a tricky thing, especially if the IR implant just gave you automatic Infil-seeing powers.
  12. Demigan

Perhaps as an alternative/addition, let IR sights see spotted enemies through walls. It should not create a perfect picture of the enemy like old vehicle thermal scopes, just a distorted silhouette that changes slightly based on distance. It would help increase not just its utility without overpowering it but also make the more organic teamplay valuable as a well-placed spot can work wonders.
    Naturally, if some other piece of equipment could create false signatures to lead people astray... play and counterplay.
  13. Nighda Venesis

Didn't think this post would gain as much traction as it did, glad to see people talking / thinking about this.
    One of the reasons I posted was because I was actually auraxing the Solstice SF. I ran it with a forward grip for the majority of that journey, and only switched to the underbarrel shotgun near the end, and concluded that the shotgun was actually the primary weapon and that the gun itself was the overbarrel attachment. Once I auraxed it I got my Eclipse VE3A and to me it's literally a straight upgrade as it is a better Solstice VE3 that also has a shotgun. These guns need some kind of help. Yes they're more accurate at the cost of ThTTK, but there's just no reason I see to use them over other carbines unless you want the underbarrel stuff. You can be about as effective at range with other guns if you're good at bursting and compensating with them. 652RPM143 is a damage profile I've never really enjoyed, and is only surpassed in tragedy by the Artemis VX26, AF18 Stalker, and SOAS20 since they basically don't have a magazine.
    I am now using the Zenith VX5 and I can't stop ejaculating.