[Suggestion] ''Dormant Overshield'' implant

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by csvfr, Aug 18, 2017.

1. csvfr

What I've always been frustrated of and wanted since starting to play PS2 is the function to automatically activate the overshield when I'm hit. This is a feature that would give a massive quality of life improvement, even more so than the infiltrators option to decloak-on-fire. Since I think this should be an option that could be toggled on/off, including it as an implant would be perfect.

Not only would such an implant lessen the stresses put on the HA by always being ''on guard and ready'' to hit ''F'' when the damage indicator appears, it would also to some extent compensate for the lag and latency which is unavoidable due to real-life technology. Often when I play HA, I press ''F'' when I see the damage indicator but die a split second later, as if I had no shield at all, which I think is due to lag. With this implant the shield would go up on my attackers computer even before I press ''F'' on mine.

The implant could either be a rare implant with a single rank, or an upgradable one which would work as follows
    • Rank 1 - Activate overshield 0.2 seconds after a bullet hits
    • Rank 2 - Activate overshield 0.1 seconds after a bullet hits
    • Rank 3 - Activate overshield right after a bullet hits
    • Rank 4 - Activate overshield the moment before a first bullet hits.
    • Rank 5 - Activate overshield the moment before any type of damage is received, including explosives.
    Since the average human reaction time is above 0.2 seconds, the implant would be beneficial to most players, lessen the skills-gap between players and so lead to less rants about OP stuff and such. Rank 4 would encourage more diversity in shield types, as the Resist shield now becomes a more viable and attractive alternative.
  2. Ziggurat8

Yeah why not. Except you can't toggle it. It's always active and you cant turn off the overshield unless you've not taken damage for 1s. Then it's a direct buff to your HP but a direct restriction to agility.

I'd like shooting at a guy running across a room to suddenly be reduced to 75% movement speed. Probably as much as you'd like to have it activate instantly while being shot in the back.
    • Up x 3
  3. Eternaloptimist

When I'm stalking I often ambush and kill HAs who do not have their shield up because they are not in a firefight. I bet every one of them wishes their overshield would pop up without them even having to realise they were being shot at but, sadly, this is a fantasy.
    • Up x 1
  4. TheSunlikeOne

Do you know that other classes besides HA exist?
    • Up x 3
  5. Ziggurat8

See the scenario I illustrated above. There are times when you DON'T want overshield. Like running for cover. It could have it's draw backs.
  6. csvfr

Since it is an implant the ''toggle'' would be to unequip it.
  7. csvfr

That is for sure, so its best seen as a modifier to your abilities equippable in the terminal rather than in the field.
  8. Ziggurat8

Right. But the overshield being activated for a minimum amount of time would have to be a condition or it would be just a straight upgrade to reflex time.
  9. voidreaperxx5

In addition to this implant, there could also be an implant that immediately turns you to your opponent with your crosshairs on their head and automatically fire for you. At rank 1 it would only fire 2 bullets for you and have a cooldown of 10 seconds, but by rank 5 it would fire your entire clip (great for maxes!) and only have a cooldown of 5 seconds.
  10. csvfr

I don't see what that has to do with the issue? Several people tend to claim HA is their go-to class in 1v1 and the most played class (I don't know if that is true). So when you kill an HA as a different class there will be no ''reported'' tell in return, as it undeniable that you also penetrated whatever shield he had without a lagswitch. If you're a noob playing HA yourself, you have one less thing to worry about.
  11. pnkdth

No, HA is already playing PS2 on easy mode. They have tools to deal with any situation. Getting killed because someone surprised you and you didn't have your shield up is pretty much the way most non-HA classes deal with HAs.

Learn to activate your shield preemptively instead of some kind of reset button for when getting out played.
    • Up x 6
  12. LordKrelas

So the server controls your shield; As that would lag harder than hell for you.
    If client side: Only difference from now, is that you don't actually press the button.

Also, it can't detect right before any damage - That requires either a lot of data, or prevents quick-kills.

Also, chained-head shots, will still kill you through the shield.

It's not likely to save them.
    Not to mention, how in hell would a New player get a rare implant that just controls the timing of shielding up?
    • Up x 1
  13. TheSunlikeOne

And what if you don't kill HA as another class, because HA didn't even had to press a button to activate his ability?
    • Up x 4
  14. Yessme

no plz XD
    HA don`T Need a buff like this :/

he is in a good spot.

i Thing, we should specialice the HA more, like if you set up it with rocket L, you can`t acces to Main gun (LMG)
    if you set up it with LMG, you cant use rocked L. ... like this???
    or if you wanna drive or fly, you Need to take engii, for get Access to vihecles.

we don`t Need a allround classes for all situations....

or like, if you use Main gun (LMG) you don`t have Access to the HA shild, only if you use Rocked L.

this wold giv the gameplay more fun and you don`t see so much HA:

a higher cloaktime, wold bann cloaker from Close fight, and giv them his real roll, (Long range fights)

this all, wold be a small buff, for Sani and engii, and wold be great for this game :/
  15. Demigan

Short answer: No
    Long answer: absolutely not.

HA's already have a huge advantage in their ability to activate a shield and getting 45% extra health. Theres no reason screwing over all other classes by disallowing a quick kill before he activates it.
    • Up x 6
  16. csvfr

Now PS2 is an FPS game not some turn-based game or RTS. The perception of time is important, and First-Person literally means that you should have an experience trough the eyes of your avatar. In any single-player equivalent of PS2, I would be disdained if my adversaries had an alternate game world time shifted by 0.1 seconds - a delay that stacks up twice for my reactions to have an effect. To not break character, take a look at the HAs description ''... their Nanite Mesh Generators allow them to instantly form a temporary extra layer of protection ... recent improvements in shield technology has their mantra of “endure and eradicate” become viable''. Its not too much to ask for some integrated sensors to be activating the shield for me.
  17. Halkesh

Basically, you ask for a permanent overshield. I'm okay with that as long as the disadvantage are also permanent.
    Make it a new overshield, not an implant.

New overshield (resistance) :
    Passive 40% damage reduction, the HA is glowing and have 75% move speed as long the overshield is equipped

New overshield (HP)
    Passively increase the shield by +450, the HA is glowing and have 75% move speed as long the overshield is equipped

@Demigan : it's 40% now, 45% RD was when the HP overshield was at 750.
  18. Demigan

Not really. The slower movement only lasts as long as the shield lasts, so its a free 450 HP extra movement you get, dven if it is a slower one.
    • Up x 1
  19. Pelojian

if someone manages to sneak up on you while you are a HA.

whether it be a infiltrator with an SMG, a medic with an assault rifle, a light assault with C4 or an engineer with a carbine they deserve the advantage.

heavy assaults are direct assault class and are tailored with that W+1 plus F (similar to the W+1 unthinking 'tactic' known in team fortress 2 but with the HA shield activation key), other classes use indirect methods to gain the upper hand (special grenades, trickery and attack from unexpected angles).

why should a class that takes no brains to be effective in assaulting get an automatic shield activation, when other classes have to use their brains more then -just- relying on their ability?

as engineer vs HA? trickery and some mines stacked together, perhaps C4, attack from unexpected angles
    light assault vs H?A c4, trickery, flash grenades, even better attacks from unexpected angles
    medic vs HA? c4, trickery, nano regen device w/ ambush and pray your aim is better
    infiltrator? decoy grenades, mines, sneaking and knifing, sneaking and unloading an SMG, sniping

HA vs every other non-max? direct assault, pop shield, hope the other guy doesn't have superb aim and out dps you with headshots (assuming you don't crouch spam or medkit spam) or go full cheese with a rocket launcher.

if you die to another class as a heavy and they ambushed or tricked you they were both in a better position then you and more skilled then you.

the ease of use and power of a heavy is why the K/D farmers flock to it so they can pretend their K/D means they are 'more skilled' then that dude that mains engineer, medic, light assault or infiltrator.
    • Up x 1
  20. UberNoob1337101

I say no for a few reasons.

First is that it would make bad HAs much more on-par with good HAs, which would royally suck for any non-HA.

I don't really have a problem with rank 1, 2 and 3 and I think they're tolerable, but 4 and after would make some play-styles completely miserable against HAs.
    Can't wait to headshot a HA with a sniper and... wait, he's somehow still alive, and he instantly pops a medkit, and he runs Nanoweave armor... so it's almost impossible to kill him again unless he runs out of medkits or I land another headshot.

It could also be very powerful with NMG/Adrenaline shield as it's recharging to make you survive slightly longer or keep you from dying with only a sliver of health, only to pop a medkit. I'm really against Rank 4 and above as it would make NMG/Adrenaline even better and make Resist shield worse sometimes. And that's not even counting the possibility that this might be too hard to implement.

Also, rare implants take a stupid amount of lootboxes to get, maybe it's my terrible luck, but I've spent like ~22000 certs to get a single rare implant because I kept getting what felt like millions of duplicates, so this wouldn't really help new players unless they got incredibly lucky.
    The thing absolutely nobody mentions is, if a Heavy uses NMG or Adrenaline shield, if he runs out of the over-shield energy he moves just like anyone else and still has ~100/90% HP just like anyone else. It's not as much of a restriction of agility as it's needless over-shield drain.

I don't really like this since only Resist shield will suffer from this. Waiting for it to run out would be miserable as it does last a pretty good amount of time, and it doesn't stop before dying or losing all power.

If anything, I can see this being exclusively used only on Adrenaline as it's regeneration can be incredibly fast, and something like this to instantly activate it in a moment where mitigating damage is necessary would make it the No.1 used shield if it isn't already.
    • Up x 1