Don't try turning a monster truck into a race car.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Earthman, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Chipay

Isn't World of Warcraft the largest MMO?
    • Up x 1
  2. Earthman

Again, you're missing the point.

World of Warcraft is still going, and as you like to point out obsessively, it is still profitable. But even the Blizzard devs admitted it was an expensive mistake to over-emphasize its arena system, and the negative player feedback from powers in the game being nerfed and re-adjusted constantly to suit the petty needs of the arena lobby was the reason for that.

You can say "popularity money money whee" all you like, but that's not the whole picture, nor can it apply here very well. World of Warcraft was popular well before it made a clumsy attempt to be an esport.
    • Up x 2
  3. Chipay

We've already have had this conversation, you like to point out the Major League gaming, or in fact any hardcore gamer is an absolute ******* that laughs at anyone not doing what he does.

Aren't we seeing the same thing on Planetside already?
    -People who aren't fighting big fights are ghostcappers
    -People who are using A2AM pods are noobs
    -People who use G2A launchers are unskilled ESF pilots
    -People who play TR are people who can't play and can only win with their OP Toys
    -NC is the only real Pro faction because they have hardmode weapons
    -People who aren't playing on Indar are looked at with a frown
    -People who are using shotguns are a noob
    -Sniper montages are encouraged, ZOE montage is stupid and OP
    -Tons of people accusing hacks, cheats, aimbots, cheater outfits, ... The vocal part ingame is really aggressive

I can go on like this, and if you look at the list, it's 'pro' players telling you what map should be played at, what weapons you should use and what faction you should play to be 'MLG READY PRO', it's really no different except that instead of it happening on the big screen, it's happening in the forums and in the game.

I don't care about being called a noob because i'm inside a biolab lone wolfing with a UBGL because it's what noobs do, but you seem to.
    • Up x 2
  4. Earthman

You cherry-picked one very small part of what I said and wrote a very long response to it.

I take it you have nothing to say for the rest of my post, or for that matter, the topic of the thread?

"People namecall already, and because of that, it's totally the exact same thing as the hostile atmosphere you mentioned in a tiny corner of your own post. Oh, I better mention how I'm totally not a professional gamer demigod, only deeply in awe of them".

Do you have anything else to say that isn't some bottom-scraping false equivalency?
  5. Unclematos7

Pardon me for the random question.
    How do you get that silly looking MLG decal?
  6. Cloaking

Planetside 2 at its core would not work as a MLG game. I don't see why they feel the need to tack it onto the side of the game as a completely separate entity. If it won't fit into the standard 3 way domination across big maps, it doesn't have a place the game.

And as to people saying that it will bring players to the game.. Those players are here for the small scale maps. The majority of players are here for the game as it is now. It won't bring players to the core part of the game, just the bit on the side.

If they truly want to increase the playerbase, they need to fix the actual game and make it so people want to come to play THAT, not the bit on the side.

MLGREPORT - If it still works :)
  7. Pirbi

Nobody wants to watch people play a video game because they can just as easily play the video game. I can eat popcorn and play this game at the same time. If I want to watch something, I have netflix and a fondness for 80's sci-fi and horror.
  8. Nocturnal7x

I think most people know this. The first time I heard SOE was doing this silly MLG crap I thought "this makes no sense".

Some top players may want this, but if we had meta game, I don't think the will would be as strong. Maybe some kind of a thing could be set up so outfits could temporarily swap servers to go up against other outfits. But MLG makes no sense.
  9. Kaktwox

Devs will waste time and resources on MLG, and BAM more players will leave the game due to lack of overall progress.
  10. Zorro

I am quite sure different people are working on MLG other than those making new content.
  11. KnightCole

MLG attitude? THose the overly elitist players who wont even talk to you in game unless you also have like a 512:1 KD ratio and SpM of 1000? THe uber guilds in like EQ2, Defiance is one guild that comes to mind for me, that will spend weeks on end trying to always grind for one single uber item and all their toons are decked in the absolute best gear?

The World of Tanks MLG is their Clan Wars? Which really, seem like they take less effort then a pub to do well in. Its just a grab the most uber Tier 10 and camp your base, waiting for the enemy to show thier face and nuking them with an arty round or OP TD gun?
  12. Kaktwox

The fact that any effort is being put into pushing through a concept (MLG) that the majority of the player base does not want, instead of fixing every unbalance (and there are a lot), adding ANY type of meta game, or reworking the completely flawed resource system is a complete waste of time.

MLG will not attract enough players to make up for the players this game has already lost or is continuing to lose
  13. Locke

MLG is very unlikely to take off for PS2 in it's current format. The "much anticipated" battle islands are completely unsuited for anything but 48vs48 without artificially imposing house rules and getting 96 players online is a tough challenge in the first place. There is no way anyone could play professionally because the sponsorship cash amount would have to be ridiculous to make it worth doing and tournaments would need to be massive (96 pcs in use for 1 round? Forget it).

Their best chance of success for a competitive format is a really well supported 24 vs 24 online outfit league with specially built maps and eventually moving it up to 48vs48 if it grows enough.
  14. Earthman

That's not entirely true. There IS an audience to watch "pro" gaming but generally those who do that are not necessarily interested in the same things as those who actually want to play a game, especially a game like this.

There's such a large seperation of interest: generally, this is another audience entirely that might not even go for the final product anyway, at the risk of the audience it already has.

A good example of this is how Dead Space 3 tried to pander to the online cover shooter FPS crowd.
    • Up x 2
  15. LelyanaTR

Was, it will soon be free to play lol
  16. Earthman

This is my big problem with "battle islands": they do nothing to play to PS2's strengths, and as much as they are defended by statements of "if you don't like it you don't have to go there", it's still resources spent, time spent, on something I probably won't ever get to participate in.
  17. Earthman

It is already free to play, except for its later expansions.
  18. Earthman

I'd be totally happy with all the extra strategic stuff that PS1 offered (except the BFRs, anyway). It'd actually fit the setting (obviously) and not require the bizzare stifling that "only 48 guys in tidy pre-ordained groups can enter here, because reasons" MLG stuff demands.
  19. Pie Chasm

If BF3 couldn't make it, neither will this game. Ever.
  20. Earthman

It seems a huge waste of resources, and I can sort of see how people self-interested with MLG stuff would demand to see it everywhere. My question is why don't they go where it already fits and already is?