Don't shoot the terminals in an enemy base..

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SgtScum, Mar 5, 2013.

1. SgtScum

Why? Because your infiltrators can hack them and you can literally spawn vehicles in a fully shielded hostile base or do infantry class swiches when your sundy gets the suicide AT mine treatment or even respawn that poor sundy.

/discuss
    • Up x 7
  2. Mefi

I want to add: don't repair terminals during enemy attack if you don't need a vehicle!
    That's really stupid to allow enemies to spawn their zerg in your base.
    • Up x 5
  3. Cougarbrit

Sometimes though, you should destroy the terminals as soon as your infils hack them. That way, the enemy engineers can't repair them until the battle ends, denying them any possibility of spawning vehicles at the base for the duration of the fight.
    • Up x 6
  4. SgtScum

Once an infiltrator hacks a terminal its completely useless to the enemy unless its counter hacked even if the base goes back into their control.

In most cases the area where the terminals are located are so saturated with troops it would be a cold day in hell before an enemy infiltrator could counter hack anything.

But that suicide engie sure can blow up your sundy in a wink so it would be nice to be able to replace it on site.
    • Up x 1
  5. VSMars

That's why I tend to put an AP+AT mine combo at own vehicle terminals in the early stages of a base defence. It doesn't bother my own people, but any Infiltrator who's trying to hack them will blow up themselves and the terminal into bits, at which point the attackers can't use it anymore, while we can trivially repair and re-mine it at our leisure when we secured the area again.

And there's nothing anyone can do about the mines. If you force them to detonate, you still can't use this terminal and we can still repair it when we need it.
    • Up x 10
  6. hawken is better

I remember one time before the merges when the TR were making a push for the Crown on Jaeger. We were this close to actually getting a good foothold at the base of the tower, and I was seconds away from hacking one of the vehicle terminals (since the TR, in all of their glorious "tactical superiority," chose to bring an assload of Prowlers, but no Sunderer) when one of those VICI idiots decided to blow up the last remaining terminal with his Prowler, even though there were no enemies nearby to use it (the rest of our forces had them pinned in their spawn room). Of course, the ******* wouldn't get out and fix the thing, either. Over the course of about 2-3 minutes, we were slaughtered one by one, with no where to spawn, and that was the end of another close, but failed, attempt to take the Crown by force.

Playing with such a sad sack of rejects is infuriating, but I couldn't picture myself playing as any other faction.
    • Up x 1
  7. Some1

Because xp
  8. Peter Daniel

That hack n destroy... dont know if the developers thought on that...
  9. SgtScum

Yea, that glorious uber amount of 100xp. Hell I have seen tank zergs all fighting for the chance to destroy that single terminal outside a minor base.

No accounting for IQ levels it seems but alas this is a f2p game after all..
    • Up x 1
  10. Ravenorth

Same here, its pretty hilarious
  11. Gary

XP... plus it counts as a kill towards medals ;)
    • Up x 1
  12. WalrusJones

I think a better title would be "Don't shoot VEHICLE terminals at an enemy base."

Shooting their gun terminals can do a lot of good in Garrisons.
  13. Zotamedu

Hacking them can also do a lot of good. There's been many times when I've stood there, without any ammo, looking at that enemy gun terminal, just wishing an infiltrator would show up so I could reload. Or the times where I really needed to change load out in a battle.

Please, hack all terminals. We need more infiltrators doing this.
  14. WalrusJones

Sunderers can resupply ammo too.

Unfortunately, the metagame is too mineguard for it to be viable.
  15. PyroPaul

When my infiltrators decide to start hacking consoles is when i'll stop scrapping them.

You know how many times i've seen a territory which was more or less lost seen a complete turn around because some one managed to get to the vehicle terminal, spawn a sunderer or heavy tank, and effectively stop the opposition dead in its tracks?

If no one is going to turn it friendly, I am going to deny it to the enemy.
    • Up x 3
  16. Gisgo

Murphys's law applies to veichle terminals.
    If you hold destroying them nobody will hack them, as soon as you destroy one an infiltrator will show up and probably kill you too.
    • Up x 1
  17. SinerAthin

But I get no EXP for letting the Infiltrator hack them! o_O
  18. Alizona

This is so true. We just can't win no matter which approach we take.

For me, I almost never see Infiltrators when capturing bases. But I don't play on Indar where there's about 100 of each class storming the base (that's exactly why I dislike Indar)... I play on Esamir and Amerish where there might be 2 or 3 of us taking a base... and they are almost always heavy assault, light assault or engineer. So I just destroy the terminals out of habit because of this. In fact, there has only been one time in my 3 months of play where an Infiltrator sent me a /tell and told me something like "thanks for destroying the terminals, you dummy". :) Oh well, sorry dude!
  19. Zaik

They fixed that bug a while ago, you can repair them immediately after destroying hacked ones.

On topic: Infiltrators are pretty rare outside of hills 300m away from real battles, it's often a better option to destroy them if you fear they will be re-taken. Happens a lot with revenge MAX crashes in tech plants.
    • Up x 1
  20. CHC999

Easy fix for SOE. Take away exp for destroying terminals. Leave exp for repairing and hacking as is but no exp for destroying terminals.

Done.
    • Up x 2