Don't bother buying the pheonix

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mastachief, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastachief

... It's terrible.

• Horrible to fly
    • Does no damage to infantry
    • Hardly damages vehicles
    • Piss poor range
    • Risk of death whilst in flight

4 shots to kill a flash would be better off using my pistol.

Don't waste you cash or certs on this heap
    • Up x 2
  2. Wasdie

Maybe you should look into theater considering how ridiculously over dramatic you are.
    • Up x 2
  3. Xind

4 shots to kill a flash? Seriously?

Well at least you got screwed, too. I feel like I can literally quote your list of problems for the Striker, except for horrible to fly. But replace that with hard counterable by certable abilities already in the game.
  4. phreec

The range is quite pathetic. The Engineer AV MANA turret is still the most effective* long-range AT weapon.

*OP as hell
    • Up x 1
  5. Ash87

I have trouble believing it takes 4 direct hits with the phoenix to kill a flash. I don't think that is true of the default Rocket launchers... or the annihalator... hell, I don't think that is true of some of the LMGs.

As to the infantry thing, yeah, all fireworks do low damage against infantry... I think this is a holdover from PS1, and a good one. Rock-paper-scissors man, Rockets beat vehicles, infantry beats rockets

That said, I was worried about the range thing, this likely will need to be buffed.
  6. Zenith

Expected this. They must have taken note of all the pre-patch whining about said launcher, and made doubly sure it didn't live up to the hype.
  7. sladuog

Who would not extensively VR/trial a weapon before buying it?

I'd rather new stuff be UP and buffed sensibly than OP and left where it is.

In other news HA ESRLs same boat as HA ESAIs.
    • Up x 1
  8. Phattie

It really is quite abysmal. Seriously guys you could have had so much money from this but even my nostalgia for the first game won't make me buy this.

No offense, but do you even play? Standard dumb-fire AV, Decimator, Annihilator and AV MANA turret all instagib infantry.
  9. LordMondando

He's not wrong.

Just tried all three my review.
    https://twitter.com/LerdMumbungo/status/315119223561125888

In appealing to people crying about it being OP they have made it so weak and difficult to maneuver it makes no sense to get it over the crow (which has slightly higher damage, despite all in given the lock on time, leaving you probably less exposed).

Sorry, not impressed. Why should a weapon tis harder to use, be worse off than fire and forgets systems, and as about and as difficult to get a hit with as dumbfire weapons? As for the noclip on infantry... well, theres side grades, then theres gimmicks that are less effective.

By contrast the lancer is even worse, due to even lower damage, weird inaccuracy and the 'HEY IM HERE' trail it leaves for 2-3 seconds afterwards.

The striker by contrast, it a semi-auto annihilator and thus, quite good. I struggle to think how armor or air is goign to deal with them en mass.
  10. Xind

In the past when I bothered to use it, a direct hit from the Annihilator killed a flash and a dumbfire still does.
  11. Pikachu

I destroyed my flash with 1 shot. 6 shots to the side of a vanguard.
    • Up x 1
  12. Copasetic

The AV Mana turret is the real Phoenix, you should use that instead.
    • Up x 1
  13. hawken is better

Surprisingly, the Striker is actually much more powerful (and the lock-on time is lower) than I had expected. Of course, there were a ton of people in VR lamenting about the thing, but when I went and trialed the Phoenix and Lancer, it was the exact same thing; every one hated their launchers.
  14. Pella

It one shots Infantry.... 2 shots maxes.

Other than that its terrible :p
  15. LordMondando

You don't need to believe, just roll and NC toon and go into the VR area.
  16. Wasdie

None of them should instagib infantry. If you're using AV, it should be only effective against infantry.
  17. Phattie

To be fair, I've tried all 3 and I think they're all pretty poor but the Striker is the nicest I feel. The Lancer is total garbage as well though, it's hilarious. Such a massive ****-up on SOE's part.
  18. TerroDragon23

I sniped alot of infantry with it :) you need direct hits.
    Range is a bit to less i think.
    The only thing that annoys me is that 1 rocket deals 1/2 damage to ESF
  19. LordMondando

Does it, really?
  20. Phattie

I agree, however that's not how the game currently works. I'm sick of noobs running around with a rocket launcher as seemingly their primary weapon.

Well while trying it in VR, not a single Phoenix round even HIT infantry or MAXes, let alone kill them. We're talking going RIGHT through the chest of some infils and it did no damage.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.