Does upgrading the ammo box pay off?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Swooped, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Swooped

Is upgrading the ammo box worth it?
  2. breeje

yes it will last longer and have a larger range
    if u put the ammo box in the center of a large battle a lot off players will get the ammo
    your screen will light up with xp
    • Up x 3
  3. Nerazim

I'd upgrade it to rank 3 only, seems like a waste to go any further. You'll have a bigger resupply radius than the people dropping stock ones which might give you a few extra points here and there, and it'll last 3 mins which is long enough.

I don't think I've bothered upgrading mine yet. I tend to only drop it to top up my own ammo, or if someone is obviously looking for ammo. In most decent fights, ammo packs litter the battlefield anyway, and I'm of more use repairing maxes.

Max out your repair tool first.
  4. Bhudda V1

maxed it out first with my repair tool it is paying off so much it's ridiculous if memory serves 7minutes with 7 meter's range is awesome and now that when you hit the cap (hint you will) it only takes a minute to reset in a big fight the xp just of resupply is awesome not to mention your off repping a max or getting a kill or nading some people.

it's the lazies way to get xp and honestly if you throw it in a good spot 7 meter's pays off easily in the long run as you run off and get even more.

tldr get it up to 3 minimum past that and then cert up some other stuff mainly your suit slot to what you want but remember the ammo box and the repair tool are your main earner's on the engy everything else is icing on top.
    • Up x 1
  5. Simferion

Short Answer: YES!!!

Long Answer: YES, OF COURSE AND YOU SHOULD DO THAT!

If someone tells you otherwise, then (s)he doesn't know how to play and you shouldn't listen.
    Why?

Teamplay: having a certed ammo pack means you need to run less and be where you are needed while leaving the ammo pack in a good spot. People can resupply without crowding the ammo pack, so staying in cover. Longer lasting ammo packs means people can afford to be without you in the immediate surroundings so you can do something useful elsewhere (e.g. repairing your MAXes)

Farming: more certed ammo boxes always trump less certed one for resupplying and so for your XPs. In other words, if a player needing ammo is in the range of 2 or more ammo packs, only the most certed one gets the XPs. I dunno what happens when the 2 ammo packs have the same level, but consider the fact most people don't cert their Ammo packs up so you'll often steal their XPs.
    • Up x 2
  6. TKBoom

Indeed. Maxing out the ammo box should be high on the cert investment list for any serious engineer. If you don't play engineer very often, then maybe one rank below max would be sufficient.
    • Up x 2
  7. K2k4

I agree with this person completely. The biggest benefit of the highest certed ammo box is that it gets xp for resupplying people above lower-rank ammo boxes.

Need 2-3 certs, drop an ammo box in a group of guys crowded in a biolab, wait about 10 seconds, bam, certs.
    • Up x 1
  8. MiniSentrygun

Just so you know, maxed ammo pack allows you to drop 2 ammo packs on the map.
    • Up x 2
  9. CNR4806

Resupply caps too quickly to justfiy investing massive certs into ammo box in my opinion. I kept mine at 3 and it STILL caps ridiculously fast.
  10. ShockATC

Yeah... whats up with that Cap anyway?! Soldiers need ammo, i need certs.
    It would be cool if it would run without a stop. If it would be to much "farming" they could reduce the amount of XP from 10 to 1.

I mean, i dont really care if i get XP, i still throw my ammoboxes where they are needed but still.... would be nice to get a reward.. at least a little.

The thing with the high-upgrade-ammo-pack is, that the range is increased. Really makes a difference. And the time the pack lays around is way higher than those lower-tiers.
    It sure pays off, maybe not in the way of XP farming, but in the way of helping your team.
    • Up x 1
  11. Nakar

The cap is there to prevent cheating. It's more or less on a per-user basis so that two Engineers can't stand next to each other using a script to drop an ammo box every few minutes then fire their guns repeatedly so they're constantly getting ammo from each others' packs.

They did lower the timer on it giving XP again though, I believe. Just keep dropping them, sooner or later it'll start up again.
  12. JorgeSarcos

Just so you know, you can drop an ammo pack on second floor of a tower and people on the third floor (above your ammo pack) will get your resupplies, you can also drop two at the same time. Worth it? hell yes!

Note: First floor of a tower is twice as high for vehicles so those wont get it i think (havent really tried)
  13. Rickenbacker

In short, YES it pays off. I drop my ammo packs near the front of large fights, then get 17 xp for resupply once every 5-10 seconds. It's awesome!
  14. Stormsinger

I could go on for days about the awesomeness of the maxed out ammo box, but I won't. Instead, I have enclosed a visual aid.

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  15. undersuppressivefire

where can you find the upgrade option?
  16. VhynSeven

In the Infantry/Class menu, under the model of your caracter, you have an orange button called "[name of the class] certs".
    Select the one for Engineer, the Ammo box is in the " Ability" menu.
  17. Fishpoke

Eh I can find way better things to spend certs on, its one of those things I'll buy when I have everything else that's waaaaaaaaaaay more useful. Why doesn't it let you throw more than 1 ammo pack? Why can't it resupply vehicles with max rank (since we are now infantryside anyways)? Why doesn't it auto repair max units that stand near it like teh shield recharge module medics have?

1000+ certs for slightly increased range on something that doesn't give good returns, nah.
  18. VhynSeven

The total price for the full upgrade is 810 certs

The radius is increased 2 times, and the duration 3 times, the base values of lvl1 Ammo box

My BR16 Engineer with fully upgraded Ammo box already has 30 Resupply Ribbons. This is equal to 60 certs, almost 10% of the original cost. The return is pretty solid IMO.

Well last upgrade allows you to have 2 Ammo boxes actives at the same time.

Because you have a plastic gun that shoots nanites for that, obviously

#EngineerFunFacts
  19. SarahM

Ammo packs give free certs just for throwing one down near teammates.
    Certing ammo increases that cert gain.

Even if you don't main engineer, the first few levels are a good investment. Going higher requires dedication though.

Silly tricks with ammo packs: put down an AI mine, throw an ammo pack on top as bait/concealment.
  20. waystin2

Absolutely. It is a cert machine and you are keeping your faction stocked up in the fight!