Does saving money on the motherboard matter

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by the pestimist, Mar 7, 2013.

1. TheAppl3

That would be an incredibly baffling setup :D

Weak junky HD6450 crying as most games crush it then a solid mid range 650 falling asleep under PhysX because it only has to keep up with 10-15 fps, if he even got it to work in the first place.
  2. Sliced

Your buying a H77 board and a K version CPU?
    You can't overclock the CPU at all on that board (unless you do it by the base clock.)

If you are sure that you don't want to overclock then don't get a K version. Get a stock 3570. That should save you abit of cash.
    And like someone said, that soundcard will not fit at all on that board.
    Also, you either buy the AMD card or the Nvidia one. Not both.

It's as simple as 1,2,3.
  3. the pestimist

video card, graphics card one applies to the NVidia f2p deal
  4. the pestimist

ok ill see a better board
  5. the pestimist

6. TheAppl3

Eh? Does that mean you're buying the 650 just for the bundle?

The point I'm making here is that the 6450 accomplishes nothing. It's a weak card that just sits there next to your full and complete parts list. There is no reason to buy it and I am trying to figure out why you want to. The 650, or the 660 you would buy with the money saved from the pointless AMD card, can handle the game on their own. The 660 would do a significantly better job too.

@mobo suggestions:

ASUS$130 Z77 board

Gigabyte $130 Z77 board

MSI $100 Z77 board
  7. the pestimist

8. the pestimist

ok link me to a video card then sorry
  9. Noppa

I changed my xfx hd7950 DD to Gigabyte gtx 650ti 1gb oc WF and i have to say im suprised about the card, sure it aint even close as powerfull as the hd7950 but it manages ps2 in low/med settings just fine with my proceccor(70+fps,after memory leak it goes down to 50fps) and it cost only 130 euros, less than half of the hd7950 price :)

But yeah for u i5 3570k/hd7870xt,hd7870 or gtx 660...cheapest gtx 650ti if u wanna save some money.. ur choice :)

If u dont OC much, the motherboard dosnt rly matter just buy the cheapest z77 mb u find.
  10. TheAppl3

No reason to be sorry, I just didn't want to let you make a clear mistake.

HD7850, HD7870 or GTX660 would be my suggestions without raising the price much beyond the current 650's cost plus the savings from the 6450. The 7870 is better overall, the 660 allows you to use PhysX for the price of decreased performance. Both are in the neighborhood of $230-245 while the 7850 is a cheaper option that I can't remember the price of.

Beyond that you could go 660Ti or 7950 for $300. Again you choose between PhysX and such versus better overall performance for the price.
  11. Artifex78

Our friend assumes a video card and a graphics card are two different (yet essential) things.
    They are not, those words are synonymous.
  12. the pestimist

my first pc sorry yay less money
  13. the pestimist

since I realized my mistake what should I go for instead more ram or better sound
  14. Sliced

8GB of ram will do you fine.
    If you want a dedicated sound card then go for it, it can't do any harm. Just make sure it will work with your motherboard.
    If it's a PCI card (the one you chose before is PCI) then you hame to make sure your motherboard has a PCI slot.
    If it's a PCI-e card then you need a spare PCI-e slot.
    You can't put one into the other.
  15. TeknoBug

The cheaper Z77 motherboards don't have heatsinks on the northbridge (around the CPU socket), which matters for overclocking, if you don't plan on overclocking or just mildly overclock then the cheaper ones will be fine. But if you don't plan on overclocking at all, then the B75 should do even with a 3570K.
  16. Luewen

And no he cant use nvidia card for physics and run amd as a main card. Nvidia will be blocking the use of the nvidia card in systems where there is amd card also. And thats from driver level. Though there might be ways to pass that but i dont recommend that at all.
  17. werzinator

Pick a motherboard that has good reviews. If you plan on overclocking, make sure you get a board that is designed for overclocking, e.g. heatsinks on the VRMs.

If you just want something that works, any cheap board will do. Like I said, read reviews, and see how many reports of DOAs there are. I've used cheap Gigabyte, ASRock, and Biostar boards, all of which have had no issues whatsoever.

If you plan on getting USB 3.0 devices, consider a motherboard with USB 3.0 ports. Need lots of USB ports to plug in external devices? Look for that too. SATA III for your new SSD? Go for it! A lot of motherboard features are simply personal preference.
  18. the pestimist

19. Noppa

It is OK, but i would drop the sound card and buy abit better graphics gard(GPU), every motherboard has a decent sound card these days, u can also save money on the power supply if u aint gonna upgrade ur GPU anytime soon.

I was running my sig setups with 450w xfx with no problems.. and still am :)

Anyway so buy a minimun gtx 650 TI 1gb and some 500-550w power supply and drop the sound card.. thats what i would do.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...F8&qid=1362735062&sr=1-21&keywords=gtx 650 ti
  20. St0mpy

why on earth are you buying 1155 and not buying Z77?

I just rebuilt onto a Asus P8Z77-M, i needed mATX and its one of the few (only?) Ivy bridge mATX which has a PCI slot (asus do another with no pci if you want a legacy free version) not only that it was quite cheap, less than half the price of my previous intel board.