Does planetside 2 support multiple cpu's?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by randoguy1337, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Hydragarium

At the risk of repeating everyone else - Your Qosmio laptop only has a single i5 Processor. Yes the processor has 2 cores, with 2 threads on each core (equalling 8 threads in total). There is no way around it - your laptop does not have a motherboard with two processors (these are fairly rare in general outside of server racks, and mostly useless except for virtual machine enviroments)

Does it really matter? No. If anything you should be thankful it only has a single processor. As it is laptops are having immense issues with staying cool - and all the extra cores and threads would do absolutely nothing in video games.
  2. randoguy1337

I just admitted that going through bios and what not, i couldn't find the second i5 that i was meant to have and that i was going to sort that issue out. i also said that the i5 has less heat than the i7, and that dual i5's should be fine. I know that servers are generally the only sort of thing that use multiple cpu's as they are calculation intensive, but like i said i was meant to have dual i5's so in my head i was right, not a 100% noob like i appeared to be. And it only really matters to me for PS 2 as i am bottlenecked with my CPU, and seeing as PS 2 is going to become my main game i kinda want it running as best as possible. i would love to have a desktop CPU for more power, but its obviously 100% not an option, where as the dual i5's was suppposed to be what i had and some how Toshiba either screwed me over on that, or it has fried on a previous incident.
  3. TheAppl3

It's less likely that they screwed you over and more likely that the information provided to you was misleading. There's an impressive volume of people who post their system specs as two or four CPUs if they have a dual- or quad-core respectively. It is an extremely common mistake. I am frankly surprised that the company managed to screw that up.

The point is that I have never heard of a dual-i5 motherboard existing because the tech behind the i5 is just not designed for that at all (see first informational source below). Xeons and Opterons are inherently designed to function in dual-CPU environments because of their common use in servers. The only personal desktop dual-cpu mobo I could find that does not use Xeons or Opterons was the socket 2011 $650 EVGA option, which is more of a hacked together "this should not actually work" endeavor.

I was open to the concept of it existing and me being wrong, but after scouring the Web for any mention of a dual-i5 capable motherboard I have nothing. I also have no dual-CPU mobos for laptops.

I am going to state with reasonable certainty that Toshiba's answer will be that it was confusing and they're sorry for that, but you were always intended to receive a single 2430M. My argument this entire time was not just that your laptop only had one i5, but that the Qosmio line in general only came with one processor because that's just how consumer computers work. Dual-processor gaming computers are either re-purposed server boards/CPUs or excessively expensive, custom-built, setups that in the end largely use server parts. "Custom" in this sense means built by an enthusiast, not a mainstream company.

Frankly, I hope you're right even though I am certain you're not. I would rather have been wrong because you would benefit from it. I do encourage you to contact Toshiba if I have not convinced you so that you have an official response from them on the matter.

Selected sources for further information if you're interested:
    Intel i5-2430M Spec Sheet (see package specifications for Max CPU Configuration, it's one)
    EVGA Classified Dual-CPU Mobo (socket LGA 2011, one of the very rare modern dual-CPU mobos not designed for servers)
    Article on the EVGA board, some explanation of why the tech behind the i series is not made for dual-CPU configurations
  4. Alexlightning7

Heres my laptops CPU specs.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I have a single CPU.

You mis understood either your friend, or toshiba.
  5. OptionalFTW

Is this guy for real, lolol, two cpu's in a laptop.

Can't tell if troll or seriously belives
  6. Gabryael

OP, just so your aware, I also have the Qosmio X775-Q7380 and I am experiencing the same issue. However, I believe the issue isn't CPU related. Rather, I have reason to believe it may be memory related. I was planning on building a new Gaming rig, but decided to invest $90 to test my theory first. Supposedly, you can only upgrade from 6GB to 8GB of RAM in this laptop, but I've found what should, for all intents and purposes, be compatible memory (DDR 1333 PC3-10600 1.35v 204pin) and ordered two 8GB dimms. Once it arrives, I'm going to install it and see if it resolves my issue. I'll make sure to respond either way.
  7. Gabryael

As a followup...no dice. I was able to upgrade to the 16Gigs of memory but that didn't help my in game performance. Looks like I'll be building a new rig.
  8. BenYeeHua

Yup, as the os using 2G and the game using 4G.:)