Does Anyone Use the Ranger Anymore?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CursoryRaptor, Sep 17, 2014.

1. CursoryRaptor

Does anyone use the Ranger anymore?

I haven't touched the thing since I got better with the Walker. I'm starting to think the Ranger is pretty underpowered vs the Walker, mostly because you can do more DPS vs aircraft than you could with the Ranger if you're a good shot with it, and it's half decent against infantry and vehicles while the Ranger is ineffective vs ground vehicles and infantry.

I was wondering if anybody here felt the same.
  2. a-koo-chee-moya

Its Walker with less DPS, but works better if you're relying on randoms, as it takes less skill to hit with flak.
    • Up x 2
  3. MotionBlured

It's effective if the aircraft is within spitting distance
  4. Call-Me-Kenneth

the problem with the ranger is that its too different to the other two flaks. i can easily go from Skyguard to Bursters and vice versa. it takes me probably one engagement to "relearn" the proper lead for targets. that's about 20 - 30 seconds until im fully effective with the new gun.

whoever, if i get on a Ranger i will only get kills if the enemy air is flying TO the vehicle or stationary. if there's any lead involved at all, i will completely botch it, and regardless of how long i stay on the gun i cant seem to get a hold of it. in the end i get frustrated and leave... probably if i force myself to use it, but even if i did, the gun is still pretty bad compared to Burster/Skyguard damage wise. and being a stationary platform doesn't help at all. as a burster/Sg, i'm used to give chase and create a few extra seconds of LOS to get the kill. the Ranger is just a machinegun of frustration...

whoever it is still a good deterrent, almost every pilot will see the flak, and wont wait to measure the incoming damage, they will just turn and flee.
  5. lothbrook

Ranger needs a velocity boost, its really only effective against ESFs, except ESFs are too fast to hit with it unless they're coming straight at you or away from you, lol.
  6. Yeahy

There are 3 main problems with ranger.
    1. Bad bullet velocity. It is very hard to lead with it. People already complain skyguard is bad. Well, ranger is even worse.
    2. High COF. Impossible to hit with at range.
    3. No damage at range. As a deterrent, walker is way better.

There is no reason to pull it over walkers and its more worth to get ap or ai sundy and have a squad member pull a skyguard.
    • Up x 5
  7. NinjaTurtle

Anymore.... you mean people used it before?

There is no need for it to be in the game when every other AA option is better in every single way.

It is for masochists who like putting themselves at a severe disadvantage
    • Up x 1
  8. zombielores

I think you mean the Ranger, that's the flak cannon one, the walker is the AA MG.
    Pretty much this, Ranger takes much less skill to hit with but it pays for it in DPS compared to the walker, of I'm having a bad day or letting random pubbies gun then the Ranger is the go to weapon.
  9. MasterJohn99

its great at close range air targets, less effective at range sadly.
  10. Yeahy

Yeah that's what he said, but he phrased it a bit wrong.
  11. Scatterblak

wtf is a Ranger? :)
    • Up x 3
  12. FieldMarshall

My problem with the ranger is velocity and COF.
    Its supposed to be easier to hit with it since its flak, with less damage as a tradeoff, but with that velocity and cof it doesent matter anyway...
  13. KnightCole

Is the Ranger the AA gun that has like 2 rounds in the magazine? Ok, ok...like 20...either way, I think I got on one once and was appalled at how often it needed to reload....some AA gun...

Its not like it dealt high damage to help balance the fact it has 2 rounds in the mag.
  14. \m/SLAYER\m/

Walker kills infantry.
  15. LibertyRevolution

Put a single ranger on your sunder, shoot at air craft that pass by.
    When they realize you are a just a ranger and come to attack, have a couple burster maxes pop out the sunderer and kill it.

Or get 2 dual ranger sunderers with ammo resupply and park them next to each other with 4 gunners.

Yep, I think it is only good for trolling as a mobile AA nest.
  16. K2k4

Hard to say, I don't use ether on my sundie (basilisks and furies). I would probably put a walker in the front and a ranger in the back and call my sundy a chuck norris.
    • Up x 1
  17. BiggggBRIM

There's really no reason to take the Ranger over the default Basilisk. Personally I think the Ranger should be remade into a dumb-fired, medium damage low splash rocket launcher.

[IMG]
  18. CNR4806

The problems with the Ranger:
    1. Insane CoF. You can't hit a braodside of a barn with that kind of arbitary inaccuracy.
    2. Ultra-low velocity. Sure, it's the same as a Burster, but the Walker's velocity is more than 3 times of the Ranger, making it very easy to aim with, negating the supposedly easy-to-score-hit advantage of the Ranger's flak shells.
    3. Very low damage. The only way that you can get a lower flak DPS is to go one-arm Burster.
    4. Uselessness against ground targets. The Walker can do respectable damage if you can manage to line up the crosshair to the target, while the enemy can just stand there and laugh if you try to do the same with the Ranger.

The only advantage the Ranger really has is the blinding effect that flak explosions do to air crews. Other than that it's completely worthless.
  19. Halcyon

The Ranger is great if your target is 10m away and stationary.
  20. TheAnnoyingGunner

I'd say, the only good AA in the game is a dual Burster MAX. Followed by the Skyguard. Why even bother with AA on a Sundie? Put a Kobalt on it and you have basic AA against ESF's and Piñatas and you're deadly against Infantry, if a Lib is approaching you're screwed anyway and Galaxies are a waste of bullets.